Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Manila's 1 Yr Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 04:36 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Lexus Manila's 1 Yr Anniversary

Lexus Manila, Inc. marks its first year of doing business in the Philippine luxury automotive scene this month. Since its brand debut in January 2009, it did not take long for Lexus Manila to make good on Lexus global reputation for production quality and customer satisfaction.

During its first year, Lexus Manila has responded to market trends by offering its customer a fresh option of luxury car line-up. With the opening of its world-class showroom at the heart of Fort Bonifacio Global City last year, Lexus also launched its initial line-up composed of the flagship sedan LS460, ES350, GS460, IS300, and full-size SUV LX570. This was immediately followed by the March introduction of the global best-selling Lexus cross over SUV RX350, and the sporty convertible IS300c in September. By year end, 172 satisfied Lexus customers can attest to the understated elegance of its products and the warm hospitality of its associates. Lexus garnered 13 percent share of the market, quickly climbing to the fourth position.

As a way of showing appreciation to its clients, Lexus Manila celebrated its first anniversary by holding an intimate Lexus Owners Night last January 14 at Makati Shangri-La Plaza. Customers, composed of experts in various fields and leaders of different companies, were treated to an encouraging 2010 Economic Briefing by Dr. Ramon M. Quesada, Executive Director of the Business Economic Club.
Old 02-01-10, 04:39 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question LX Hybrid

After a satisfactory performance on its first year in the Philippine market, Lexus Manila is setting 16 percent increase in sales this year to 200 units from 172 units last year with help from the introduction of hybrid Lexus models that would fetch a price per unit of P10 million more or less and strong demand for its luxury commercial vehicle line-up.

Lexus Manila Inc. president Danny Isla told reporters during the Toyota Motor Philippines Corp. media thanksgiving party on Friday that its sales last year enabled them to grab a 13 percent of the luxury car market in the country, and quickly climbing to the fourth position among luxury car brands being sold locally.

“We had an amazing ride and great success during our first year in the Philippine market,”
Isla said.

Isla, however, said that sales of Lexus would always be tempered by the prohibitive cost of this luxury brand as the market is limited to the most affluent social strata.

“But, 2010 poses a lot of opportunity for growth, change and hope,” said Isla.

To be launched this year are two hybrid Lexus models LS and LX.

Isla said that LS is expected to be introduced in March and LX within the second semester this year with a unit costing P10 million more or less, which is a lot expensive than the P2.2 million cost of the Prius, the hybrid car of its parent firm Toyota Motor Philippines.

So far, its sales are equally divided between car and sports utility vehicle models but sales this year are expected to be in favor of commercial models with 60 percent share and cars with 40 percent.

“Our RX model is the most popular, it is selling by itself,” said Isla.

To support its marketing strategy, Lexus Manila is also beefing up its sales force to 10 from 7 people last year.

During its first year, Lexus Manila has responded to market trends by offering its customer a fresh option of luxury car line-up.

With the opening of its world-class showroom at the heart of Fort Bonifacio Global City last year, Lexus also launched its initial line-up composed of the flagship sedan LS460, ES350, GS460, IS300, and full-size SUV LX570.

This was immediately followed by the March introduction of the global best-selling Lexus cross over SUV RX350, and the sporty convertible IS300c in September.
Old 02-01-10, 09:51 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to Lexus Manila!!

Speaking of which, Lexus also swept the C! Magazine awards for Best Premium Sedan (IS 300), Executive Sedan (GS 300), Premium SUV (LX 570), and Premium Luxury Sedan (LS 460 L) in 2009: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=72

The LS 460 L also won Best Ultra Premium Sedan in the Car of the Year Philippines (CAGI) awards last year: http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...-news/id/1345/
Old 02-01-10, 10:13 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oo congrats i miss going to the Philippines hopefully ill go someday!!
Old 02-01-10, 10:17 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations to Lexus Manila indeed.

All I can say is, even amidst being a newcomer here, Lexus Manila has shown that they are a force to be reckoned with and something that is to be taken seriously.

They're positioning themselves amidst intense competition from the likes of BMW, Audi, MB and Jaguar and so on and I guess it proves that they can power through in just a year's time.

Super job to Lexus Manila.

And now regarding Hybrid models:

It's interesting but I guess this isn't surprising at all. In fact, Toyota under TMPI brought in the Prius as the first ever hybrid car in the Philippines (albeit at a whopping bank-busting price of 2.2 MILLION PESOS). But I guess, they took the risk and it works for propping up their green image I suppose having some tech that other manufacturers haven't brought up yet.

Anyhow, this announcement seems to be a response to what CATS did a few months ago when they released the S 400 Hybrid here. This is indeed superb news as there is more competition and such........even if hybrid cars in general are very new to the Philippines (they make up less than 1% of all cars in RP today).

The first Japanese premium automaker to bring in hybrid is something interesting indeed. HOWEVER, it's not gonna be an easy ride though as prices could touch 10 MILLION PESOS or higher (since there are NO tax incentives or discounts for hybrid vehicles so the taxes really add up BIG).

That and some parts of this country are flooded which is lethal to hybrid vehicles (esp. their electric batteries)....but that's another matter altogether.

Nevertheless, this should be interesting and I can't wait to see it here.

That's all for now

P.S.
Hang on a minute........

LX HYBRID? Am I reading it right? There is no such thing as LX Hybrid. Or will there be one soon? Or is this just a typo? (maybe he meant RX Hybrid?)
Old 02-01-10, 10:29 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is 172 supposed to be a big number? Im not trying to be an ***, serious question. Must be though, to be 13% of the market share...

so the entire market only sells 1300 luxury cars in the Philippines?
Old 02-02-10, 12:36 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That sounds like a possible number, especially with import taxes, concentration in the capital city of Manila, etc.
Old 02-02-10, 01:53 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

that's great news, i just went there on vacation and saw an IS and an LS. but i think 10 million for an LS sounds a bit too high IMO though.
Old 02-02-10, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Congrats Lexus of Manilla!!

Old 02-02-10, 08:41 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

An LX700h sounds interesting. If that's not a type I'm wondering if they'll be lithium ion batteries?
Old 02-02-10, 08:47 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

congrats. i heard Philippines is a beautiful country. I would love to visit there and eat adobo everyday.
Old 02-02-10, 09:27 AM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
is 172 supposed to be a big number? Im not trying to be an ***, serious question. Must be though, to be 13% of the market share...

Yeah, the luxury segment is not big in the Philippines. Its about 1% of the whole market, if not mistaken. But this only takes into account luxury cars sold through legit dealers. Another big chunk of luxury cars are sold through grey market dealers.

Anyways, good start for Lexus. They still have a lot of catching up to do on BMW, the number one luxury brand in the country (making up about 50% market share). Anyone know who 3rd place belongs to? 1) BMW 2) Mercedes 3) Audi? Volvo? 4) Lexus

No doubt the writer meant RX hybrid. Filipino journalists are pretty bad when it comes to getting little details right.

Last edited by lex-phil; 02-02-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-02-10, 10:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to Lexus on accomplishments in the Philippines. I hope to visit there soon enough.
Old 02-02-10, 10:41 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am surprised the Dealer is even making money with those types of numbers
Old 02-02-10, 12:18 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am surprised the Dealer is even making money with those types of numbers
yeah, I even wonder why Lexus would even want to enter the market.

Quick Reply: Lexus Manila's 1 Yr Anniversary