Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I got owned today. Sry no pics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 12:00 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, in this case, the Corolla driver next to him should have had more sense than to park like that. He or she (apparantly) was in a hurry.
may be, or may be he or she did that to be a nuisance who knows, but good thing is the OP's car didn't get scratched. having said that, i disagree with the above statement. you can't expect the other driver to have more sense when you yourself don't have the sense to not double park
Old 02-02-10, 06:25 AM
AMAlex
Pole Position

I try just to park somewhere with a curb so that if someone is dumb enough to hit my doors I only have to worry about one side. I also try not to park next to someone with their wheels turned in or out as they might not realize and manage to, well, crash into my car (happened to my father)
Old 02-02-10, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by raptor22
may be, or may be he or she did that to be a nuisance who knows, but good thing is the OP's car didn't get scratched. having said that, i disagree with the above statement. you can't expect the other driver to have more sense when you yourself don't have the sense to not double park
I didn't mean it necessarily from that point of view. What I was saying was that it is (usually) not a crime to double-park, but it IS to vandalize someone's car.
Old 02-02-10, 06:46 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park over line all the time at work but the side I park over the line on isn't a spot. So I don't care. I can't expect people to care enough about someone else's property to not ding it.

In public lots I just park far away from everyone else or ride an outside line.
Minivans are a toss up, most have sliding doors so they're less likely to ding your doors up but the passengers and unfortunately driver's are as careful.
If I must park next to someone for some reason I'll park next to nicely taken care of cars.
I never like to park on a street where people may have to parallel to get into a spot. Most people can't parallel park for the life of them.
Old 02-02-10, 09:20 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, quit taking this so seriously.

I posted this for laughs. If I wanted to be scolded or felt sorry for, I wouldn't be posting it here.
Old 02-02-10, 09:41 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll admit that I do it at work from time-to-time but that is because if I didn't I'd literally not be able to open my door on either side of my car to get in or out. It's actually common at my work because the spots in certain area are stupidly small.

I remember reading something similar on the BMW forums a while back. This dude parks his car way away from the other cars and some car intentionally parks like an inch away from his drive side door! Not sure the Corolla here had the same intent or not, but I would have been pissed if I were that guy!

Also, anyone else notice how Colloras and Camrys always seem to have at least one corner of their rear bumper dented or missing a lot of paint? Scares he hell out of me when I see one parked next to me... haha
Old 02-02-10, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol good story

and why I never double park
Exactly, it's not worth the risk and doesn't accomplish anything.

And I take my Jeep when I know I have to park in sketchy lots.
Old 02-02-10, 10:28 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree that he deserved it......or anyone else under the same circumstances. IMO, it's apples and oranges. Double-parking across a center line to protect your doors and paint, unless it impacts a marked handicapped space without a permit or a space reserved for emergency vehicles, is NOT a crime. A nuisance, maybe, or taking up part of two spaces, but, in most cases, not a crime. Retribution by vandalism (keying, glass-breaking, scratching, etc...), however, IS a crime.....whether one is double-parked or not.

And, in this case, the Corolla driver next to him should have had more sense than to park like that. He or she (apparantly) was in a hurry.
Double-parking most certainly can be a crime (misdemeanor). Many universities are state property with applicable parking *laws*. Failure to pay parking citations usually results in witholding of a diploma or ineligibility to register for classes, but can also result in an inability to renew your license.

Also, try telling the tow lot attendant that you didn't do anything wrong. That usually goes over well.
Old 02-02-10, 11:34 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

LOL... When I'm in my beater, I hunt down cars that are parked poorly or SUVs that are parked in a compact spot (Pretty much rendering the spot next to them useless). I purposely squeeze in next to them anyways, in order to teach them to respect the space designations.

Usually if you double park, you are asking for it. Especially in LA where parking spaces can be a premium, double parking usually results in getting keyed.

Now in my F, I park as far away as possible from any car, and I don't double park, or park in a way that draws attention. However, somehow, some way, there is always someone who decides to park right next to me anyways, with no other car in sight. Can't really explain that one.
Old 02-02-10, 11:38 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

hahaha I used to hate it when people did that at school
Old 02-02-10, 11:50 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Reminds me of the time I was at a bookstore next to UCLA. A girl parked her Hummer in two compact spaces. As she got out of her car, I politely showed her the large parking spaces not 40 feet from where she parked. She got back in her H2 and then proceeded to take up two of the large spaces.
Old 02-02-10, 05:34 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
i don't double park but i try to find corner spaces where i can get as close to the corner as possible. or a spot that's surrounded by pillars on both sides.
+1 or as my friends and I say... "Protect one side FTW!"
Old 02-02-10, 08:27 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Sounds like a jerk thing to do. I would do it you too if my car were small enough.
Old 09-07-10, 09:31 AM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

i had a decison either wait or park between a old camry and some old buick or just wait .... i waited and ended up parking next to a 5 series and a new altima......
Old 09-07-10, 09:46 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Let me put this simply.

I went to night class and parked in the back of the lot, lots of empty space.

The situation

| Ford explorer | empty 1 | empty 2 | Mustang|

I double parked in the empty space head first, with most of my car in the empty 2 space.

I came back, and some Corolla manage to squeeze into the empty 1 space, millimeters from touching my car, I checked my car from top to bottom and I was amazed at how the Corolla didn't hit me.

The result?

I had to climb into my car from the passenger seat

I was so mad I wanted to vandalize the other car, but it was also my fault so I took a deep breath, check my car for scratches, and drove home.
I say the Corolla driver deserves some props for caring enough not to scratch your car either intentionally or accidentally. It's just plain bad form to hog 2 spaces with 1 car.

Quick Reply: I got owned today. Sry no pics.