Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I got owned today. Sry no pics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 07:53 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I got owned today. Sry no pics.

Let me put this simply.

I went to night class and parked in the back of the lot, lots of empty space.

The situation

| Ford explorer | empty 1 | empty 2 | Mustang|

I double parked in the empty space head first, with most of my car in the empty 2 space.

I came back, and some Corolla manage to squeeze into the empty 1 space, millimeters from touching my car, I checked my car from top to bottom and I was amazed at how the Corolla didn't hit me.

The result?

I had to climb into my car from the passenger seat

I was so mad I wanted to vandalize the other car, but it was also my fault so I took a deep breath, check my car for scratches, and drove home.
Old 02-01-10, 07:55 PM
LexFather

lol good story

and why I never double park

Old 02-01-10, 08:03 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say, but you deserved it. Don't do stuff that attract some attention and double parking will surely get some attention 100% of the time.
Old 02-01-10, 08:04 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i feel like double parking is just seriously asking for it...

All I remember is the Rolls Royce Phantom parked at the local Costco, with the driver asleep with his mouth open waiting for whoever was inside--parked in a single spot, just like everybody else.
Old 02-01-10, 08:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

tsk tsk Mike...tsk tsk.
Old 02-01-10, 08:08 PM
Amre
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tsk tsk some evo double parks all the time and i just want to take a pos car and park next to him lol
Old 02-01-10, 08:08 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually get away with it because I "own" the back of the lots since no one parks there, a couple of other nicer cars along with mine double and triple park everywhere. Today I was like "......"

Haha.. funny stuff

I am just glad no one vandalized my car.
Old 02-01-10, 08:09 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Cant stand it when people double park and park in handicapped zones (w/o tag or plate). But you did say the lot was empty and you parked in the back...
Old 02-01-10, 08:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

That's a good story. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-10, 08:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I would never had the guts to double park.
Old 02-01-10, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Sorry to say, but you deserved it. Don't do stuff that attract some attention and double parking will surely get some attention 100% of the time.
Originally Posted by whoster
i feel like double parking is just seriously asking for it...
I disagree that he deserved it......or anyone else under the same circumstances. IMO, it's apples and oranges. Double-parking across a center line to protect your doors and paint, unless it impacts a marked handicapped space without a permit or a space reserved for emergency vehicles, is NOT a crime. A nuisance, maybe, or taking up part of two spaces, but, in most cases, not a crime. Retribution by vandalism (keying, glass-breaking, scratching, etc...), however, IS a crime.....whether one is double-parked or not.

And, in this case, the Corolla driver next to him should have had more sense than to park like that. He or she (apparantly) was in a hurry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 09:50 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

corolla drivers are usually pretty sketchy. pretty much all corollas have some sort of paint transfer or dent on their bumpers. civics too.

here's my rant: why does my car attract mini-vans? everytime i park in the most empty area with no cars around(usually farthest corner), a mini-van mysteriously parks beside me. whether i am somewhere for 5 mins or 1 hour. happens most often at walmarts, superstore.

i don't double park but i try to find corner spaces where i can get as close to the corner as possible. or a spot that's surrounded by pillars on both sides.
Old 02-01-10, 10:30 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree that he deserved it......or anyone else under the same circumstances. IMO, it's apples and oranges. Double-parking across a center line to protect your doors and paint, unless it impacts a marked handicapped space without a permit or a space reserved for emergency vehicles, is NOT a crime. A nuisance, maybe, or taking up part of two spaces, but, in most cases, not a crime. Retribution by vandalism (keying, glass-breaking, scratching, etc...), however, IS a crime.....whether one is double-parked or not.

And, in this case, the Corolla driver next to him should have had more sense than to park like that. He or she (apparantly) was in a hurry.
I agree w/ you that it's not a crime since it's on private property. Though, the school might have a separate policy that can still elicit a citation issued by their private patrol or on-campus patrol. You can't fault the Corolla driver for picking that spot since you don't really know their situation. May be it was a safer spot to be in or may be it was just convenient. Or may be just parked their to be a rude since it was an obvious decision to indicate their intention. In the end, you can't expect other people to use common sense, but it sure doesn't hurt to apply it to yourself.

As for the OP, I hope you learned your lesson and quit double parking because next time, you might not be so lucky. As the saying goes, "wrong place at the wrong time..."

Last edited by MI350_55; 02-01-10 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I park over two spots all of the time but I park as far away from the entrance as possible. I have had no issues but even if I have to take only one spot I will still park away from everyone else
Old 02-01-10, 10:40 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jetfire
i don't double park but i try to find corner spaces where i can get as close to the corner as possible. or a spot that's surrounded by pillars on both sides.
That's my technique

Quick Reply: I got owned today. Sry no pics.