Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need advice/options on my total loss car

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 08:44 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Need advice/options on my total loss car

ok so i have questions regarding my car, the GS400, that was hit on Dec 3rd..

As some of you may know it is salvaged and is considered a total loss. apparently ive taken to long to return the vehicle to be reimbursed for the full value so technically i bought the car back by accepting partial value...

anyways question is what can i do with the vehicle? I currently am not going to fix it.. the lady that works at the attorneys office is kinda in a way pushing me to sell the vehicle to this body shop guy.. have a hunch so she can pick up the car for cheap... but my dad and my insurance agent said its not a good idea since the car is considered "unsafe" to drive due to its salvage title/total loss... and if problems happen in the future it will mess me up later on..

She also said if i were to sell it to private party ide have to get it fixed and then have DMV look at it so that they can evaluate n see if the car is safe to drive..

I was thinking if i dont drive the car and part the vehicle.. interior n what not and then decide to junk it do i need to do anything special??
Old 02-01-10, 08:47 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to junk it, you just have to go to the DMV, fill out some forms, and get a certificate that you pass along with the car to whoever you give it to junk.
Old 02-01-10, 09:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

if it was considered a total loss you should have just taken the check from the insurance and be done with it... This sounds like to much of a hassle now.. You may make more parting the car if parts are still in good condition
Old 02-02-10, 12:01 AM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say parting it out would be your best bet at this point.
Old 02-02-10, 06:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
ok so i have questions regarding my car, the GS400, that was hit on Dec 3rd..

As some of you may know it is salvaged and is considered a total loss. apparently ive taken to long to return the vehicle to be reimbursed for the full value so technically i bought the car back by accepting partial value...

anyways question is what can i do with the vehicle? I currently am not going to fix it.. the lady that works at the attorneys office is kinda in a way pushing me to sell the vehicle to this body shop guy.. have a hunch so she can pick up the car for cheap... but my dad and my insurance agent said its not a good idea since the car is considered "unsafe" to drive due to its salvage title/total loss... and if problems happen in the future it will mess me up later on..

She also said if i were to sell it to private party ide have to get it fixed and then have DMV look at it so that they can evaluate n see if the car is safe to drive..

I was thinking if i dont drive the car and part the vehicle.. interior n what not and then decide to junk it do i need to do anything special??
...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this car equipped with a supercharger? If so and want to part out...PM me!!!
Old 02-02-10, 09:10 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hil
If you want to junk it, you just have to go to the DMV, fill out some forms, and get a certificate that you pass along with the car to whoever you give it to junk.
Certificate to pass what? Do you think my car can pass ant visual inspection??

Originally Posted by tmf2004
if it was considered a total loss you should have just taken the check from the insurance and be done with it... This sounds like to much of a hassle now.. You may make more parting the car if parts are still in good condition
I took partial but i wanted to remove my air, SC, bbk, sways n so on. it just took to long :/

Originally Posted by tmh95sc
i'd say parting it out would be your best bet at this point.
Most likely kik

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this car equipped with a supercharger? If so and want to part out...PM me!!!
yea i have the supercharger but as of now im keeping it for the future GS4
Old 02-03-10, 12:27 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
Certificate to pass what? Do you think my car can pass ant visual inspection??

No I meant pass as in to give along with the car. Basically it's a form of junk title for the car
Old 02-03-10, 05:06 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After its salvage titled just sell it as-is to the seller and have the as is paper notarized.