Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track Special Feature: Hybrids: Perception vs. Reality - Two Part Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 02:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Oh man, the backseat in my dad's IS is horridly cramped. You can really spread out in my sister in laws backseat of her Prius. Perfect taxi cab vehicle.

I owned an '06 IS 250 AWD.
The backseat room was terrible.I bought the car from my daughter when she had a hard time with using the infant seat in back.
Old 02-02-10, 06:35 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It has to do with the hatch/spacing design of the Prius, I've always felt inside was remarkably spacious considering the exterior footprint.
Old 02-02-10, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Kudos to the Prius. The Fiesta seems to be the real deal!

Old 02-02-10, 07:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Oh man, the backseat in my dad's IS is horridly cramped. You can really spread out in my sister in laws backseat of her Prius. Perfect taxi cab vehicle.
Actually the prius is a very common taxi here in Phoenix. I guess its for more than just the fuel economy
Old 02-02-10, 09:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
No doubt Prius is the best hybrid vehicle if one wants something that small.
I've never sat in one.Maybe I should.
And

Not a fan of hybrids.Too expensive and really not much value,if any with highway driving which is a high percentage of my driving.
Also I don't care about the green movement.
I didn't read the article but Hybrids get worse MPG on highway vs city.
A HS is said to get 34 MPG on the highway.I get over 30 with my ES.
City driving is where the hybrid does well.
I'd still rather have a diesel than a hybrid.
I see a trend . You need to get past your preconceptions

Even on the highway, it's a good chunk better than the TDI and significantly better than the Fiesta.

The new Prius has been designed with America in mind. They know you guys do a lot of highway driving. That's one reason for the extra output (132hp vs. 110hp). It also provides more torque and allows the CVT to let the engine run lazily at highway speeds. I have noticed an improvement in highway mpg over our 2005. I will make a slight correction to Mike's explanation (sorry Mike!). The battery doesn't get used very much on the highway since the engine is in its comfort zone (i.e. cruising at a set speed). So no, they don't get drained. They do get used if you're on the highway and climbing a mountain and the steeper the mountain, the lower the battery charge at the top of the mountain.

Also, the Prius is kinda like the Yaris or the Fit. It's small on the outside and big on the inside. It's about the size of the Corolla but the interior is closer to the Camry (except in width).

If you do sit in one, ask for a test drive & take it out on the highway!
Old 02-03-10, 06:12 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im wondering when they are going to send us smaller diesels tp reckon with the like of the Prius. That being said, BMW could give us a great small diesel...it would just cost an arm and a leg.
Old 02-03-10, 09:05 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a fan of hybrids.Too expensive and really not much value,if any with highway driving which is a high percentage of my driving.
Also I don't care about the green movement.
The Prius is by far not the most expensive vehicle in the comparison.
Old 02-03-10, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Actually the prius is a very common taxi here in Phoenix. I guess its for more than just the fuel economy
The Prius, despite its electric/hardware complexity, has also been quite reliable (a necessity, of course, with taxicabs), although there have been some issues with headlights.
Old 02-03-10, 09:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
And

I see a trend . You need to get past your preconceptions

Even on the highway, it's a good chunk better than the TDI and significantly better than the Fiesta.

The new Prius has been designed with America in mind. They know you guys do a lot of highway driving. That's one reason for the extra output (132hp vs. 110hp). It also provides more torque and allows the CVT to let the engine run lazily at highway speeds. I have noticed an improvement in highway mpg over our 2005. I will make a slight correction to Mike's explanation (sorry Mike!). The battery doesn't get used very much on the highway since the engine is in its comfort zone (i.e. cruising at a set speed). So no, they don't get drained. They do get used if you're on the highway and climbing a mountain and the steeper the mountain, the lower the battery charge at the top of the mountain.

Also, the Prius is kinda like the Yaris or the Fit. It's small on the outside and big on the inside. It's about the size of the Corolla but the interior is closer to the Camry (except in width).

If you do sit in one, ask for a test drive & take it out on the highway!
I just read the Edmund review on the Prius.Not bad but I'd prefer a Milan or Fusion if I went Hybrid.Though less mileage,more power and I like Ford's options and the look of a car.Just don't care for the Prius exterior design.
A Prius over 10 second 0-60 is a bit of a turnoff for me.Though the Ford isn't a barn burner at 8.7 but it is a noticeable difference.
I'd have to drive both.
Old 02-04-10, 08:43 AM
LexFather

The new Prius is NO JOKE! Wow.

Date from some of the routes driven.

Old 02-04-10, 09:04 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Prius over 10 second 0-60 is a bit of a turnoff for me.

The Prius isn't a performance car. It's optimized for fuel economy and not rapid acceleration. I'd say a 10 second 0-60 time is quite respectable for any car, even in this day and age.

The consumer looking at the Prius will also generally not care about acceleration. Their main concern is fuel economy.
Old 02-04-10, 01:28 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The consumer looking at the Prius will also generally not care about acceleration. Their main concern is fuel economy.

Don't give me wrong, I really like this latest Prius but I have seen too many Prius owners driving like just escaped out of a jail!
Old 02-04-10, 01:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The Prius isn't a performance car. It's optimized for fuel economy and not rapid acceleration. I'd say a 10 second 0-60 time is quite respectable for any car, even in this day and age.

Prius also has very good mid-range acceleration, just like diesels... It is not slow car at all... it should be faster during real driving than 130hp Corolla which is sub 9 second car.
Old 02-04-10, 01:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
It has to do with the hatch/spacing design of the Prius, I've always felt inside was remarkably spacious considering the exterior footprint.
Prius also has same wheelbase as HS250h, just smaller overhangs... so actual interior is one size bigger than Corolla.
Old 02-04-10, 04:24 PM
LexFather

I am a fan of the Prius packaging.....and I seem to be liking hatches as I get older....(wtf) lol

Quick Reply: Road & Track Special Feature: Hybrids: Perception vs. Reality - Two Part Series