Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rendered: Turbocharged 2012 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Not only downshift but the main advantage of having closely spaced gears will give you FASTER ACCELERATION. And that is what I and some other spirited car enthusiasts are after. So fuel economy isn't the only thing that is benefited. Faster acceleration, better deceleration, and better fuel economy.

No, the E92 M3 is not faster than the IS-F in straight line accelerations. IS-F is a bit faster. For the M3 you kinda gotta give it a bit of time to pickup rpm to get the power you need whereas the IS-F picks up power immediately after each shift due to more tq and closer gears. Close gears are extremely important for fast accelerations. If the IS-F had 6 speed taller gears it will go slower, and will be considerably slower than the JB3 chipped 335i from roll race. Basically, the short gears are saving IS-F's a$$.. gotta thank the wonderful gearing.
again i think it's in the design. with the isf if you put in a 6 speed i am not surprised it will be slower, but i still stand by my point though that more gears are not necessary for a car to be faster. i most definitely don't think the m3 is faster than the isf at high speed, but if m3 is only a little bit slower than the isf at high speed pick up (if that's true) with 6 gears vs 8, then i say the benefit is marginal.

in the m3 if i shift right at the redline to the next gear, it will right be around 4rpm and the power is fully there to continue to pull, i don't feel the need to "wait" for the power to come back up. of course if i shift early and keep the rpm around 2k then it's another story. but that's about how the car is designed and driven. i don't doubt the c63 and isf are "easier" car to drive in normal condition, but given how the m cars have been designed traditionally, more gears might help on the m with that high rev redline.

with that said, if they go with tt v8 for the next m5, the characteristic will be a lot different (more low end tq and probably not as high rev). in that case then gearing might play a different role
Old 02-02-10, 01:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have driven the M6 and although its fast it doesnt feel like it has 500hp because of the insane weight. It was a thrill to drive and it made an awesome noise but it just didnt blow me away. I expected brutal acceleration
Old 02-02-10, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have driven the M6 and although its fast it doesnt feel like it has 500hp because of the insane weight. It was a thrill to drive and it made an awesome noise but it just didnt blow me away. I expected brutal acceleration

Have you driven the 2010 550i GT hatchback/wagon, with its twin-turbo V8, 450 ft-lbs. of torque, and 8-speed automatic? (see my recent review, in early December) Yes, it also is heavy, but, even so, trust me......it will DEFINITELY get out of its own way

It's doubtful, though, whether this car will be as fast as the new M5.
Old 02-02-10, 02:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you driven the 2010 550i GT hatchback/wagon, with its twin-turbo V8, 450 ft-lbs. of torque, and 8-speed automatic? (see my recent review, in early December) Yes, it also is heavy, but, even so, trust me......it will DEFINITELY get out of its own way

It's doubtful, though, whether this car will be as fast as the new M5.
a lot of people when they drive the m3/m5/m6, they don't "feel" the car as fast. that's because of the engine tq/rev design. unlike most other engines, the tq is very gradual, and it doesn't have the "push" to the seat feel that people use to determine how quick a car is. but fact is, these m cars they pulls and accelerate very fast. i also experienced the same when i first drove the e46 m3, e39 m5, and my m3. but as soon as i get used to them and notice how i constantly find myself driving at 90+ (sigh...), i figure the difference
Old 02-02-10, 04:24 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ring vid

As promised, here is a vid of the upcoming M5 on the Ring. At 3:38, there is some rocking going on the incline. Manual tranny perhaps?

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vFD...layer_embedded