Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rendered: Turbocharged 2012 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 03:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rendered: Turbocharged 2012 BMW M5

If money were no object, I would order it right now, without even driving it... most stunning sedan IMO I've ever seen
Rendered: Turbocharged 2012 BMW M5-m5.jpg

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...12-bmw-m5.html

So now that the 2011 BMW 5 Series is out in the open, it's time to move on to the really good stuff. We're referring to the next BMW M5, of course, you know the one we spotted on the Nurburgring late last year?

Now that we know the final shape of the standard model it's not too hard to fill out the details on the Motorsport-tuned M5. Unlike the M3, the M5 is always a bit more subtle. A deeper front air dam, extended side skirting and four pipes out back are the obvious cues along with lightweight wheels and a quarter-panel badging.

The big inlets up front are needed to feed the twin-turbo power plant that will reside under the hood. We received confirmation on that one from a BMW executive last year, so the only real question at this point is the final output. The 4.8-liter V8 will be the same motor used in the current X5/X6M models, so the M5 is guaranteed at least 555 horsepower. And the chances of BMW leaving it at that are slim, so something more in the range of 570-590 horses is a good bet.

Various rumors have also indicated that BMW is considering some type of electric assist for this M5 e.g. a production KERS system of sorts. That may have changed in the last year or so now that BMW is no longer participating in Formula 1. We asked our sources inside BMW anyway and they didn't have much to say. So either it's not going to happen or it hasn't been fully approved at this point.

One thing that is for certain is the use of BMW's M Double Clutch Transmission (DCT) in place of the current SMG setup. It could gain a gear over the M3's seven-speed setup, but either way it will be a huge upgrade over the single-clutch SMG.

Given that the standard 2011 BMW 5 Series is scheduled for its debut at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show, don't expect to see the 2012 M5 until either late this year or early in 2011
Old 02-02-10, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally, i don't see the reason for a 8 speed dct on this car, unless they really care about gas mileage that much
Old 02-02-10, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
personally, i don't see the reason for a 8 speed dct on this car, unless they really care about gas mileage that much
Well, with the new CAFE standards coming up, gas mileage may indeed be a factor. You can also find 8-speeds on the Lexus LS460, IS-F, and BMW 550 GT.
Old 02-02-10, 09:18 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, with the new CAFE standards coming up, gas mileage may indeed be a factor. You can also find 8-speeds on the Lexus LS460, IS-F, and BMW 550 GT.
If the new Alpina is priced at $122K, this is gonna come in at what, over $130K??? So the buyers who can afford the new M5 won't care about mileage (maybe 13-19) but the CAFE standard dictate a lot these days
Old 02-02-10, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
So the buyers who can afford the new M5 won't care about mileage (maybe 13-19) but the CAFE standard dictate a lot these days
Well, that is also the case with Mercedes AMG products, with their (pretty much) across-the-board Federal Gas-Guzzler tax.

The CAFE standards don't care how much money is in your pocket, or what kind of car you can afford....that's a moot point to them. What matters is what kind of gas mileage a company's fleet will average, according to the EPA tests..
Old 02-02-10, 09:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This M5 may have a manual tranny option as well. There is video proof that I will ost up later.. Hey Russ.. Is this the next ride? BMW is really tempting me to upgrade. They will will need to up the ante some more than the attached for me to bite
Attached Thumbnails Rendered: Turbocharged 2012 BMW M5-kdk_0054.jpg  
Old 02-02-10, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
BMW is really tempting me to upgrade. They will will need to up the ante some more than the attached for me to bite
Well, DASH, if you can afford a new M5, then the economy must not have hit you very hard.
Old 02-02-10, 09:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

This M5 may have a manual tranny option as well. There is video proof that I will ost up later.. Hey Russ.. Is this the next ride? BMW is really tempting me to upgrade. They will will need to up the ante some more than the attached for me to bite
Unfortunately DASH, money IS an issue

And gotta wait for the knee to heal and if we relocate south before the search continues...
Old 02-02-10, 09:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Well, DASH, if you can afford a new M5, then the economy must not have hit you very hard.
The Caddy CTS-V is the super sedan of choice for me more so than the M5.. When it comes to muscle, America is tops.. Then again if the Buick GS AWD drives like a Euro & has the performance to match then......
Old 02-02-10, 09:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

The Caddy CTS-V is the super sedan of choice for me more so than the M5.. When it comes to muscle, America is tops.. .....
Dollar-for-dollar, no better value of handling and true HP in a sedan on the road today... finished 4th in MT's "Best driver's car 2009" challenge

Now, if they could just work out those electrical issues...
Old 02-02-10, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Caddy CTS-V is the super sedan of choice for me more so than the M5.. When it comes to muscle, America is tops.. Then again if the Buick GS AWD drives like a Euro & has the performance to match then......
Buick GS AWD

Your post is unclear. Are you refering to the Buick LaCrosse AWD or the Lexus GS AWD ?

The new LaCrosse is a nice car, but it doesn't have the kind of HP/torque you are talking about. As far as the CTS-V power level is concerned, several Mercedes AMG models will equal or exceed it.
Old 02-02-10, 10:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
If the new Alpina is priced at $122K, this is gonna come in at what, over $130K??? So the buyers who can afford the new M5 won't care about mileage (maybe 13-19) but the CAFE standard dictate a lot these days
that's pretty much how i think about it. people affording this kind of cars, at the most, gas mileage is a mild plus, but i don't think it should be a deciding factor. when i got my m3, i looked at the gas mileage but that's about where it ended.

Originally Posted by meowCat
If you're talking high speed accelerations (0-160 or roll-170 or top speed) then 8 speed is definitely needed. Higher number of gears generally mean gear spacing will be closer together. With automatic transmission shifting this many of gears is actually suitable. Automatic is a good candidate. And of course the 8th gear for fuel economy. Lexus IS-F is the same way, which is why it runs so damn good from roll to top speed (170 mph) and keep up with the tall geared 500+hp cars. These manufacturers know what they are doing when designing / engineering high performance vehicles. I think BMW is trying to take back the crown from the Mercedes C63 AMG cause it's currently a tad faster than the M5. Lexus IS-F needs some hp and tq boost in order to keep up.. or go through some serious weight reduction.
we are talking about manual tranny here thought. dct i still consider is manual tranny that's computer controlled. i can see having gears closer to each other can help on downshift, but how much does that help?

c63 is on 7 speed, m3 is on 7 speed dct or 6 speed mt, i don't see those cars be any slower than the isf 8 speed. for example in my m3 as long as i am in the power band (above 4000rpm) the car will accelerate hard any day.

but i agree it's definitely more of a design and gearing and computer controls. but overall the gain of the 8 speed, at least to me, is more about the gas mileage

please do post. after driving my e93 6 speed m3, if i get the m5 after this lease, i would definitely want to get manual again. it's just so much more fun. i might not be as fast as the dct (which does shift insanely fast), but controlling everything? that's just awesome

you should have gone with the m3 to begin with!
Old 02-02-10, 10:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Your post is unclear. Are you refering to the Buick LaCrosse AWD or the Lexus GS AWD ?

The new LaCrosse is a nice car, but it doesn't have the kind of HP/torque you are talking about. As far as the CTS-V power level is concerned, several Mercedes AMG models will equal or exceed it.
My bad.. I meant the Buick Regal GS pictured below

I do have product literature @ home of the Caddy CTS-V & will be awaiting more info on the others..
Old 02-02-10, 10:45 AM
LexFather

I hope they keep weight down...the M5 has never been short on power, the latest model was not as involving as the E39 and surely didn't look like one.

That said, its a M5, sign me up as well

Old 02-02-10, 11:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i always loved the M5's, but the older styled ones from the early 2000's

Quick Reply: Rendered: Turbocharged 2012 BMW M5