Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am going to go out on a limb here and make a huge prediction

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 11:34 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've sat in my friend's 07 camry once and I agree it feels just plain to me. It's more middle of the pack than anything else. I don't think it's bad...but its definitely not the Toyota I use to know. Of course this is coming from someone who use to drive a 1993 Camry.
Toyota used to be bulletproof when it came to the fit and finish of their cars. Now you have a mixed bag of quality where the 4runner is excellent while the Highlander has good fit but hard plastic...and then there is the Tundra which is probably the worst Toyota interior ever made

Just and FYI, the Tundra interior was outsourced to LEAR
Old 02-03-10, 11:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Toyota used to be bulletproof when it came to the fit and finish of their cars. Now you have a mixed bag of quality where the 4runner is excellent while the Highlander has good fit but hard plastic...and then there is the Tundra which is probably the worst Toyota interior ever made

Just and FYI, the Tundra interior was outsourced to LEAR
Just curious but why do you evade the questions that are asked of you and your experiences. We're not here to interrogate, but i'm certain many of us are curious to why you're always hard pressed to call these issues out. Since you have mentioned many times that you owned a Tundra but you have yet to qualify your concerns with your own experiences in ownership. Why?
Old 02-03-10, 11:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just curious but why do you evade the questions that are asked of you and your experiences. We're not here to interrogate, but i'm certain many of us are curious to why you're always hard pressed to call these issues out but you cannot qualify your concerns with your own experiences in ownership. Why?
Actually, I haven't been reading your responses or your posts.
Old 02-03-10, 11:44 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

FYI....Toyota Tundra interior outsourced to LEAR

http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...2669398&EDATE=
Old 02-03-10, 11:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Perhaps you should so we can get a better understanding of your own Tundra ownership experiences. Show us pics of your Tundra and the poor build quality. That's all we ask.
Old 02-04-10, 12:16 AM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

im gonna have to agree on the venza fit and finish, although my dad loves his venza the interior alignment is horrible and it feels all cheap! I encouraged him to get the new lexus rx350 which we had for a bit due to the IS being in the dealer and my god it feels way different and i loved it! All i can say about the venza is that it is a beautiful car and has great ergonomics in the interior but it bothers me howmuch the quality of toyota went down.
Old 02-04-10, 12:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Camry is living off its perceived perception from its past. Past Camry's were outstanding, the current one is good but its interior is pretty pathetic based on how good the past one were.
I've sat in my friend's 07 camry once and I agree it feels just plain to me. It's more middle of the pack than anything else. I don't think it's bad...but its definitely not the Toyota I use to know. Of course this is coming from someone who use to drive a 1993 Camry.
You get what you pay for.

Why are some of you so disappointed in the current Camry when it costs thousands less than what a 1993 Camry would cost now?

*Of course* the current Camry in some aspects won't be as good as the 4th gen Camry, because it costs less and is a more affordable car to own. It's not as upmarket as the 4th gen Camry was. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Let me get this straight, the current run of the mill cars like the Camry do not use as many hard plastic due the the notion that they're harmful, yet Lexus vehicles are immune to this with their soft-touch plastics because...? Just trying to clear up a few things
This is getting annoying .

Let me clear things up: all MAJOR non-luxury automakers have moved away from soft-touch plastics for the most part.

Modern soft-touch plastics in luxury cars are very expensive. It would be absolutely silly to expect such materials in mass-market cars today. Even modern low-end VWs have lots of hard plastic in the interior.

Then what are you doing exactly in this thread, other than ranting and posting accusations?

IMHO your posts are borderline-trolling.
Old 02-04-10, 01:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Why are some of you so disappointed in the current Camry when it costs thousands less than what a 1993 Camry would cost now?

*Of course* the current Camry in some aspects won't be as good as the 4th gen Camry, because it costs less and is a more affordable car to own. It's not as upmarket as the 4th gen Camry was. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?
Because everyone expects cars to get better and better with each generation. Find someone who's trading in their mid 90s Camry for a new one and then explain to him/her why it's not as nice as their old one. See how that argument rolls out.

It's funny how many cars out there gets criticized for their interior quality even though they're better than their predecessors, but when Toyota rolls out the current Camry, it's okay because the previous generations were more expensive to begin with.

This is getting annoying .
What's annoying is getting so defensive whenever someone questions something about Toyota. I was just asking a simple honest question that didn't make sense because it went from 'ALL' to simply 'non-luxury.' Next time be more specific so we don't run into these types of situations.

Let me clear things up: all MAJOR non-luxury automakers have moved away from soft-touch plastics for the most part.

Modern soft-touch plastics in luxury cars are very expensive. It would be absolutely silly to expect such materials in mass-market cars today. Even modern low-end VWs have lots of hard plastic in the interior.
So are these 'expensive' plastic less toxic than the 'cheaper' ones that use to be in the non-luxury brands?

Last edited by GSteg; 02-04-10 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-04-10, 01:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Modern soft-touch plastics in luxury cars are less harmful than the plastics used in the 90s by major mass automakers. That is part of the reason why modern soft-touch plastics are quite expensive.
Old 02-04-10, 01:31 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

*Of course* the current Camry in some aspects won't be as good as the 4th gen Camry, because it costs less and is a more affordable car to own. It's not as upmarket as the 4th gen Camry was. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?.
Where did you get this impression that the 4th Gen Camry costs more?
Old 02-04-10, 01:35 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Because everyone expects cars to get better and better with each generation. Find someone who's trading in their mid 90s Camry for a new one and then explain to him/her why it's not as nice as their old one. See how that argument rolls out.

It's funny how many cars out there gets criticized for their interior quality even though they're better than their predecessors, but when Toyota rolls out the current Camry, it's okay because the previous generations were more expensive to begin with. :
If Hyundai can get there stuff together and put a pretty decent interior in the Genesis Coupe and Santa Fa, then I certainly expect Toyota to be able to do this.
Old 02-04-10, 01:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Pagemaster, I guess you don't really own a Tundra or a Toyota for that matter. This thread is certainly a loose cannon rant thread.
Old 02-04-10, 01:49 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

It's funny how many cars out there gets criticized for their interior quality even though they're better than their predecessors, but when Toyota rolls out the current Camry, it's okay because the previous generations were more expensive to begin with
They weren't more expensive to begin with. Toyota profit margins likely have increased because of the excess burden of all the plants, idling, recalls etc, etc.

The IS250 has a pretty low MSRP...it has very good materials.
Old 02-04-10, 02:23 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I am not the only one to predict a downsizing of some sorts at Toyota

http://247wallst.com/2010/02/03/toyo...40000-layoffs/
The bad news is just beginning for Toyota (TM). The eight million vehicles the company has recalled, the shut down production of eight of its most popular cars, and potential brake defects with its hybrid Prius will cause large numbers of liability suits, significant losses in sales, and a substantial drop in revenue and earnings in this fiscal year and next. Toyota’s current year ends March 31.

The effects of the defect problems will almost certainly cost Toyota 500,000 unit sales worldwide over the next twelve months. Toyota sold 7.8 million cars in 2009, down 13% from the 9 million it sold in 2008. The world’s No.1 car company lost 16% of its sales in its largest market, the US, in January. The recalls were announced late enough in the month so that they would have only affected sales for a few days. Now that the Transportation Secretary has suggested and retracted a statement that people should not drive Toyotas, sales could easily drop 20% in February. Toyota sold 1.8 million cars in the US last year. If sales stay down by a fifth for the balance of the year, the car company would lose 360,000 vehicle sales in America in 2010.

Toyota’s second largest market is Japan, where it sold 1.35 million cars last year. Toyota’s product problems in its home market now include a request by the government to look into brake problems on the Prius. The concern about product safety in Japan could certainly cut its sales by 10%, or 135,000 vehicles, as local companies including Nissan and Honda (HMC) fight to pick up sales and Korean, European, and US firms scramble to get more inventory into the market to take advantage of Toyota’s situation.

Toyota sold 700,000 vehicles in China, probably the most competitive vehicle sales market in the world, in 2009. GM and VW are the dominant brands in China and local companies are improving product quality and production levels to push up sales in their own country. Toyota revenue could be badly damaged if the Chinese government elects to force recalls or a suspension of Toyota products.

So, Toyota’s sales losses in its three largest markets could be well into the hundreds of thousands of units this year.

Most large global car companies cut large portions of their work forces in 2008 and 2009. The hardest hit firms like GM cut tens of thousands of workers. Toyota faces a large enough drop in unit sales and revenue that it will be forced to fire a substantial number of its factory and white-collar staff. The firm now employees 320,000 people. Toyota may not come close to the kind of cuts GM had to make over the last two years, but it will almost certainly have to shop 10% to 15% of its staff to keep costs in line with falling revenue. In its last full fiscal, Toyota has sales of 20,529 million yen and lost 437 yen. Toyota’s revenue for the next twelve months may drop to the 17,000 million yen to 18,000 million yen level. That drop in revenue and the costs of the recalls and accrued liabilities will drive Toyota deep into the red.

Akio Toyoda, the grandson of Toyota’s founder, took the CEO’s job in June 2009 after the board decided it needed new management to help the firm recover its reputation for quality, production efficiency and cost control. The recalls make Toyoda’s short tenure a complete failure. As a decedent of the company’s founder, he will be under relentless pressure to step down as an apology for the company’s failures.

A year or two from now, Toyota will have downsized enough to be the size the Honda and Ford are today.
Old 02-04-10, 03:47 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bruce van
I just went on a test drive for a 2010 Prius this afternoon. I'm seriously considering trading in my car for something more fuel efficient and as strange as it may sound, I like the looks of the quirky car.

I took quite some time going over the car and found the build quality and use of plastics very good. Sure they could have used higher quality plastics just like every other Mfg. out there, but that's how all cars in this price range are made. I don't want to turn this thread into a Prius review; just wanted to share since we're on the topic.

What did suck was the buying experience. They had a brand new salesman working and he had absolutely NO training what so ever. If I were Toyota and had only model for sale on the lot, I would have made sure I had the best people on the job if someone came in looking for one. The dealership was a ghost town and yet they had a kid who couldn't even tie his own shoes try to sell me on a car he had no clue about.

Let's not forget quality of service. I know all of these dealerships are privately owned, but every experience a customer has reflects on the company as a whole. I just hope Toyota has their dealers all prepped for what is in store.

BTW, I didn't by the car because they didn't have the model I wanted and shafted me on the trade in.
EXACTLY the same reasons why I ultimately went with the Sonata... as posted previously, you consider a Toyota, but for me the buying experience turns you away. My decision had NOTHING to do with the car itself

Quick Reply: I am going to go out on a limb here and make a huge prediction