Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Kia Sportage..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 09:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Chris Bangle has done some amazing things in his career. I dont think his designs were ugly. There was just the controversial 7 series trunk lid design. Well that and the strange line going down the side of the Z4
... and the Dame Edna headlights, and the sagging, concave, convex-bodied Z4, and....
Old 03-07-10, 10:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
... and the Dame Edna headlights, and the sagging, concave, convex-bodied Z4, and....
Agreed, since we are talking about his ex-impact at BMW.
Old 03-07-10, 11:16 PM
LexFather

Chris Bangle designs were horrid. If they were so great, BMW wouldn't have abandoned them with each new vehicle. Don't mention sales b/c its a BMW, people will buy them irregardless.

To this day I swear Bangle was a spy for Mercedes working for BMW

Old 03-07-10, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Chris Bangle designs were horrid. If they were so great, BMW wouldn't have abandoned them with each new vehicle. Don't mention sales b/c its a BMW, people will buy them irregardless.

I totally agree. Before he came along, BMW designs were regarded as loved and on top. Then Bangle took over and it turned into a controversial love it or hate it situation. That is declination, not progress. Everyone loving it would have been a success. Now, as 1SICKLEX stated, they are dumping the theme and going more conservative.
It's also interesting to note most cars which adopted the tacked-on trunklid look haven't fared well. (Hyundai Genesis and Acura RL for example.)
Old 03-08-10, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

So this new version of the Sportage should have a nice uptick in sales.
Old 03-08-10, 07:50 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what ya'll say. Chris Bangle was genius.

E36 was greatest of all time especially M3 Saloon. pure sex
E46 was genius
E39 was genius
E60 was genius
E90 was great especially coupe and M3
Z3 was great
Z4 was great
Z8 was great

m6 was ok
7 was ok(he fixed it with the refresh)

1 series sucked
x6 sucked

He had to make a noise after such a genius 90's. yes 7 was controversial, but it was not ugly. i don't know about ya'll 5 was great. it was a greatness IMO. his only failure to me was x6 and 6 series.
Old 03-08-10, 07:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

just promise you'll never type irregardless again. it's not a word.
Old 03-08-10, 08:57 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

if BMW looked like Acura, no one would've bought them.
Old 03-08-10, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just promise you'll never type irregardless again. it's not a word.
Damn owend

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I totally agree. Before he came along, BMW designs were regarded as loved and on top. Then Bangle took over and it turned into a controversial love it or hate it situation. That is declination, not progress. Everyone loving it would have been a success. Now, as 1SICKLEX stated, they are dumping the theme and going more conservative.
It's also interesting to note most cars which adopted the tacked-on trunklid look haven't fared well. (Hyundai Genesis and Acura RL for example.)
Exactly. Bad trends a lot of times get copied just b/c designers are told "we want that same thing like that company" or they have the imagination of a fig. Happens all the time.

Originally Posted by joe80

E36 was greatest of all time especially M3 Saloon. pure sex
E46 was genius
E39 was genius
E60 was genius
E90 was great especially coupe and M3
Z3 was great
Z4 was great
Z8 was great

m6 was ok
7 was ok(he fixed it with the refresh)

1 series sucked
x6 sucked

He had to make a noise after such a genius 90's. yes 7 was controversial, but it was not ugly. i don't know about ya'll 5 was great. it was a greatness IMO. his only failure to me was x6 and 6 series.
Bangle did not pen the E36 or E46...Bangle did the refresh which made it more confusing to look at. He did not touch the E39 He did not touch the Z3. He did the Z4. He did the E60. He did the 7. E90 was done by Adrian Howyouspellhislastname.

Z8 was done by Henrik Fisker..who went to Aston and now has his own company.

Dude?

Old 03-09-10, 12:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

and i have not seen an ugly car from Peter Schreyer yet. i respect the guy alot.

call it weird, awkward, or even plain vanilla, but calling this ugly is borderline blasphemy in the design world.
I am curious why you are so intent on forcing your opinion on others ?

Design is subjective, period.

To some people, this new Sportage will look ugly. Not everyone will like this design. Period.

sorry, but i get very defensive because I'm a creative director/graphic designer, and my profession is to make things pretty which is hardest thing in the world.
This proves your bias, and how you might look up to other designers in the industry.

As a designer, you might like it for a variety of reasons; that's fine. You need to accept that some consumers will not like it for a variety of other reasons.
Old 03-09-10, 01:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

He maybe a genius to a small few out there, but fact of the matter is, it's still ugly and looks worse as it ages. This is far from "pretty"...

Old 03-09-10, 07:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, that makes the Kia Sportage look very good, which happens to be the topic here.
Old 03-09-10, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, that makes the Kia Sportage look very good, which happens to be the topic here.
Agreed. The new Sportage, as I see it, is one of the very few new designs, that DOES look better than the one it replaced. Of course, styling is subjective, but, based on what I've seen lately, IMO, better-looking replacement models are not the case with very many vehicles.....even with other Kia and Hyundai products.
Old 03-09-10, 01:26 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am curious why you are so intent on forcing your opinion on others ?

Design is subjective, period.

To some people, this new Sportage will look ugly. Not everyone will like this design. Period.

This proves your bias, and how you might look up to other designers in the industry.

As a designer, you might like it for a variety of reasons; that's fine. You need to accept that some consumers will not like it for a variety of other reasons.

again, ugly is not an appropriate word for sportage. that's just not right.

again, i'm not forcing anybody. i'm just expressing my opinion in a car forum. not a big deal. my wife thinks Tom Cruise is ugly.
Old 03-09-10, 01:29 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Damn owend

Exactly. Bad trends a lot of times get copied just b/c designers are told "we want that same thing like that company" or they have the imagination of a fig. Happens all the time.

Bangle did not pen the E36 or E46...Bangle did the refresh which made it more confusing to look at. He did not touch the E39 He did not touch the Z3. He did the Z4. He did the E60. He did the 7. E90 was done by Adrian Howyouspellhislastname.

Z8 was done by Henrik Fisker..who went to Aston and now has his own company.

Dude?

didn't know that. i thought he was in a charge of BMW since 1992. not a direct design, but it was under his influence. that's what i thought all along. but of course, some one told me that.. i never bothered to look it up.

maybe he wasn't genius after all. maybe he was almost genius.

Quick Reply: 2011 Kia Sportage..