Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 IS350C F-Sport Review: $62K of not much win

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 09:14 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 IS350C F-Sport Review: $62K of not much win

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/03/r...expensive-bag/

Driving around Los Angeles for a week, it became quite apparent that the IS 350C F-Sport has that all important X-factor that Angelenos find so important. Valets went gaga over it, while our friends' wives loved it even more. As for us, we just couldn't get past the dated interior, the lousy transmission and the money. In case you missed it, $62,216 as tested. We already mentioned Lexus's own IS-F costs less, but you could buy a BMW M3 Coupe and still have four thousand bucks left over. Moreover, this is Corvette Grand Sport Convertible territory. All three of the cars we just mentioned feature more than 400 hp and will light your hair on fire in a straight line. The IS 350C F-Sport meanwhile, just kinda loudly humps around town with its baffling gearbox and pretty wheels. All things considered, we're just not that into her.
Old 02-03-10, 09:18 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

$62K? That's a lot of coin. For that kind of money, I'd get a gently used SL550.
Old 02-03-10, 09:27 AM
LexFather

I just got a 335 convertible (on the BMW site) with comparable features for the same price. The car wasn't loaded, it didn't have active steering, radar cruise etc...so it could hit near 70k if I tried.

No doubt an IS-C F-sport for 62k is "WOW". However some people don't want a M3, IS-F etc. People want different items.

To me, the best bet is buy a nice clean IS-C in a year or two and load up the F-sport parts from one of our vendors with coupons

(There should be another F-sport promotion in April)

Not a very good review for it. Having seen it in person, it looks A LOT better with the F-sport parts.

Good find, thanks for sharing!

Old 02-03-10, 09:34 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I just got a 335 convertible (on the BMW site) with comparable features for the same price. The car wasn't loaded, it didn't have active steering, radar cruise etc...so it could hit near 70k if I tried.

No doubt an IS-C F-sport for 62k is "WOW". However some people don't want a M3, IS-F etc. People want different items.

To me, the best bet is buy a nice clean IS-C in a year or two and load up the F-sport parts from one of our vendors with coupons

(There should be another F-sport promotion in April)

Not a very good review for it. Having seen it in person, it looks A LOT better with the F-sport parts.

Good find, thanks for sharing!
I don't like Johnny Liberman actually, he seems like kind of a douche, not a car guy I'd like to hang out with. But I find his reviews are pretty close to the mark.

I do agree with you, the IS C F-Sport makes sense if someone cares more about uniqueness than performance and value. If you have $60K to spend and just want to be different, then fine. For cruising around L.A., it just might be the ticket. And who knows, if I had that kind of money, maybe I'd take that same route myself.
Old 02-03-10, 09:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I don't like Johnny Liberman actually, he seems like kind of a douche, not a car guy I'd like to hang out with. But I find his reviews are pretty close to the mark.

I do agree with you, the IS C F-Sport makes sense if someone cares more about uniqueness than performance and value. If you have $60K to spend and just want to be different, then fine. For cruising around L.A., it just might be the ticket. And who knows, if I had that kind of money, maybe I'd take that same route myself.
Well this car has things most won't get, like a $800 CF engine cover etc. I would think with the Sewell/Carson discounts and not going too crazy the price can be around 55-56k.

Hell the MSRP on the brakes is what, $5500?

It was good to see a loaded F-sport model though, even if the review was not too favorable. Mind you, I think anyone right now would be NUTS to write a positive review on a Lexus/Toyota product

Old 02-03-10, 09:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder why Lexus doesn't advertise that the F-Sport IS has 3% more horsepower?

Still, for a 320-ish horsepower car (Lexus just said it's 3% more powerful than stock)
That could be a selling point for F sport cars, but this goes back to what I've said before. Lexus needs an F-Sport package instead of F-Sport accessory kits. I'm sure the LS Sport model is selling better than any of the GS F-Sport accessory models.
Old 02-03-10, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

that picture shows one aspect of the weak design - the wheels/tires look TOO SMALL.

the car competes more with volvo c70 than 335i convertible.
Old 02-03-10, 09:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I wonder why Lexus doesn't advertise that the F-Sport IS has 3% more horsepower?

That could be a selling point for F sport cars, but this goes back to what I've said before. Lexus needs an F-Sport package instead of F-Sport accessory kits. I'm sure the LS Sport model is selling better than any of the GS F-Sport accessory models.
Very good points...they don't really advertise this and a "package" as an option would be fantastic.

Let us hope there is a GS sport package like the LS next go round along with F-sport parts.

bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

also, note on the f-sport exhaust note - i didn't care for it. at WOT from launch sounded more like a civic! the is-f (yes, a v8) sounded way better.
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For $62k, this F-sport car should at least have the tranny from the IS-F. Will this F sport vert deliver sport on par or beyond cars in the same arena like that of the 335 vert as mentioned ?
Old 02-03-10, 09:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
For $62k, this F-sport car should at least have the tranny from the IS-F. Will this F sport vert deliver sport on par or beyond cars in the same arena like that of the 335 vert as mentioned ?
So for 62k the 335 convertible should have the DSG from the M3.

You draw a conclusion about the car you won't like anyway and you haven't driven nor cared to read track figures.

These are boulevard cruisers with some sport added in.

Old 02-03-10, 10:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For $62K,I go M3 in a heartbeat.
Old 02-03-10, 10:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Here are a few more articles on the IS350C F-Sport. They were a lot more interesting to read than autoblog's that's for sure. Inside line has video of the car being tested at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. It's a good comprehensive review with plenty of sound footage of the IS C F-Sport at WOT.

Edmunds.com - Test Drive: 2010 Lexus IS 350 C F-Sport
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/is350c/2010/testdrive.html

Inside Line - 2010 Lexus IS 350C F-Sport Full Test and Video
http://www.insideline.com/lexus/is-3...and-video.html
Old 02-03-10, 10:10 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that picture shows one aspect of the weak design - the wheels/tires look TOO SMALL.

the car competes more with volvo c70 than 335i convertible.
That's probably the IS C's greatest stylistic fault. There is simply too much sheetmetal above the rear wheel. It looks like a mini storage bunker for a Stinger missile system.
Old 02-03-10, 10:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I am still working on my review of this same car. It is fun to drive and is very comfortable as a long distance cruiser:

Last edited by flipside909; 02-03-10 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 IS350C F-Sport Review: $62K of not much win