Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Salesman Posted 150mph Romps on YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 04:48 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salesman Posted 150mph Romps on YouTube

St. Louis Motorsports Employee Arrested For High Speed Test Drives

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-st-...,4091094.story Video inside.

CHESTERFIELD, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - Caught on tape -- a Lamborghini pushing 150 miles per hour in the slow lane on Highway 40. A luxury auto employee is behind the wheel. On tape, you can hear one employee say, "Let's do it." They brag about dangerous speeds. Someone says, "That was 150." Then they put the proof all over YouTube. One man says, "Sexy. Aggressive. In your face."

They even show their faces.

The driver says, "That was one of the fastest cars I've ever driven."

The man behind the wheel and the camerman both work at the luxury car dealer -- St. Louis Motorsports.

One of them says, "We could've actually overstepped it."

The dealer sits right off Chesterfield Airport Foad, right in the thick of one of the busiest shopping areas in the St. Louis area -- Chesterfield Valley. The videos show them test driving some of the cars on Airport road.

In one video, they're in the slow lane -- passing people. The guy holding the camera jokes about another driver's reaction.

"That Jaguar was thinking about comming over, then he thought better."

Chesterfield Police took immediate action when officers found out.

Lt. Steve Lewis told us, "At those kinds of speeds a close call, as anyone can tell, you could be in a minute, in a second, in a split second."

Lt. Lewis said they arrested the driver within hours of gathering the evidence.

He said, "We've never had an issue with them like this before. Hopefuly we'll never have an issue like this again, but one of the most importatnt things is -- if you're going to buy a high performance car such as that, the only way you can legally test it that way is on a racetrack."

We went to the dealer for answers. Owner Jim Mills came out to his showroom to talk.

[Chris Hayes asked] "About those YouTube videos. What were you guys thinking? [Mills responded] It's not what we were thinking, it's an issue, we don't condone the actions, it's a rogue employee. He's been reprimanded and that's all I have to say. [Hayes] but he had a video camera you had to know he was doing this. [Mills] We were filming the cars just to kind of give people a flavor of the vehicles and an understanding about what it's like to ride one of these cars. We weren't aware he was speeding in the cars and like I said before, he's been reprimanded and that's it. [Hayes] But dozens of videos online -- you're telling me you didn't know this guy was doing this? [Mills] No, we have dozens of videos online but in all those videos he wasn't speeding."

Mills says it won't happen again. He's pulling the lawbreaking videos and he wants people to know -- you don't need to break the law to get a rush from a high performance vehicle.

Chesterfield Police say it doesn't matter that this happened in the past. Lt. Lewis added that the videos are just as good as catching someone in the act and they have a year to prosecute under the statute of limitations. Police won't name the driver, but they're charging "careless and wreckless driving" -- a misdemeanor in Chesterfield City Court.
Old 02-03-10, 05:20 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I've seen his videos... they were very entertaining...
Old 02-03-10, 05:42 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Indio
St. Louis Motorsports Employee Arrested For High Speed Test Drives

Mills says -- you don't need to break the law to get a rush from a high performance vehicle.
That's a straight face lie! Oh yes you do! Breaking rules is what those cars are designed to do.
Old 02-03-10, 05:55 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've met the salesman and it's too bad they decided to do what they did especially in that location. That looks like the demo SV that was touring the country this past summer. I'm sure the factory wasn't happy about the video either. The vast majority of accidents with Lamborghinis are caused by new owners and borrowed cars. You can see why in the video.
Old 02-03-10, 10:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Really poor judgment. You'd think people would learn from the Ferrari club member in Japan who got busted by posting video of driving at race track speeds in his Ferrari while on a public road.

I won't say I haven't done some stupid things in my life, but I sure didn't post videos of them on the web.
Old 02-03-10, 10:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

really, that stupid...?
Old 02-04-10, 12:13 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

plenty of stupid to go around everywhere...
Old 02-04-10, 07:12 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least it was in a respectable car! But the guy is a dope to video tape himself doing it AND posting it for all to see - AND to blatently show himself. It was just a matter of time.......