Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is lexus affected by the toyota recall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 04:02 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XUS06
Yes, i will CONFIRM that all 06-present IS models, as well as 07-present ES models will be included in the campaign, which will shave off some of the gas pedal, and even dig into the floor below the pedal a bit to make a larger gap. They will also reprogram the system so that is the gas pedal was to get stuck, when you hit the brakes, the engine would shut off. All weather floor mats will also be changed for the driver and passenger side. I know this because i WORK at a Lexus Dealership here in Cincinnati, and all of the ES's are coming in now. Ohh, PS everyone....when you take your IS in for the campaign in a month or so, make sure you bring it in on Empty because we (the dealership) fill all gas tanks up complimentary!!
Is that specifically part of the campaign (filling up the tank)?
Old 02-05-10, 04:08 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, they aren't. The recall only impacts some toyota models built in the US with a specific gas pedal.

All lexus models (apart from I think the RX built in Canada) are built in Japan.
You're correct about the RX being assembled in Canada
Old 02-05-10, 05:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XUS06
Yes, i will CONFIRM that all 06-present IS models, as well as 07-present ES models will be included in the campaign, which will shave off some of the gas pedal, and even dig into the floor below the pedal a bit to make a larger gap. They will also reprogram the system so that is the gas pedal was to get stuck, when you hit the brakes, the engine would shut off. All weather floor mats will also be changed for the driver and passenger side. I know this because i WORK at a Lexus Dealership here in Cincinnati, and all of the ES's are coming in now. Ohh, PS everyone....when you take your IS in for the campaign in a month or so, make sure you bring it in on Empty because we (the dealership) fill all gas tanks up complimentary!!
*sigh*

The original poster is asking about the recent TOYOTA gas pedal recall.

Which does not impact Lexus vehicles. At all. Because Lexus cars are built in Japan, and the problem vehicles are built in the US.

What you are talking about is the floor mat recall, which is a couple months old at this point, and does impact Lexus vehicles. (and which I personally plan to refuse to let them do to my car, because I'm not an idiot who uses the wrong floor mats in the first place)
Old 02-05-10, 05:40 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Not exactly, no.

THERE ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RECALLS GOING ON

One is a couple months old now, and it is because some idiot dealership put the wrong floormats in a loaner ES350, the mat slipped and got the gas pedal stuck, and killed the family driving the car.

As a result Lexus/Toyota grossly over-reacted and issued a totally pointless recall to "fix" the problem of people being too stupid to use the correct floormats, properly secured, in their vehicles.

The second issue, that was recalled just last week, is for a physical defect in the gas pedal on some US-built Toyota (NOT Lexus) vehicles.

All Lexus cars are built in Japan and aren't impacted, at all, by this action.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
It's been reported that the previous person who had that loaner complained the gas peddle was sticking. Hmm, doesn’t sound like a mat to me!

Koz
Old 02-05-10, 07:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
It's been reported that the previous person who had that loaner complained the gas peddle was sticking. Hmm, doesn’t sound like a mat to me!

Koz
No, it has not been reported that way.

It has been reported that the previous loaner driver had the same problem. with the floormat

http://www.10news.com/news/21869331/detail.html

According to the report, a man identified as 61-year-old Frank Bernard rented the 2009 Lexus ES 350 and complained to Bob Baker Lexus in El Cajon that the driver's side floor mat was interfering with the gas pedal and caused the car to suddenly accelerate.

Again, the only Lexus problem has been that an idiot put the wrong floormat in the car. Don't be an idiot and you won't have a problem-

The sheriff's report said investigators found the Lexus' acceleration was triggered when the vehicle's gas pedal became trapped by the floor mat. According to the report, the size of the mat was larger than the correct mat and did not leave enough space between the gas pedal and the floor board.
Old 02-05-10, 08:06 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by venZon
Reprogram computer to shut off if gas and brake are pressed at the same time.
Bummer..... no more torque-stopping, power-braking, of the car to effect a nice launch.....
Old 02-05-10, 08:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Bummer..... no more torque-stopping, power-braking, of the car to effect a nice launch.....
It's your car, you can simply not let them apply the program update.
Old 02-05-10, 08:34 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is some confusion here. The IS 'fix' is a shorter gas pedal which will increase the clearance from the bottom of the pedal to the floor. The IS fix does not entail recontouring the floor pan underneath the pedal (that is done for the ES models). They will also program the electronics so if you press the accelerator and the brake at the same time the brakes take precedence. The engine will NOT shut off, that would inject a very dangerous situation into the driving experience. You often have to use brake and accelerator at the same time, such as taking off on a steep incline or if you are driving in snow and ice where you have to feather brake and throttle at the same time to maintain control. You don't want the engine turning off in these sorts of situations.

It is your car and you can elect to do this fix or not. There is already over 3" of clearance from the bottom of the pedal to the floor, and if you use only the standard carpetted mats and if they are clipped in correctly there is no issue. None, zip. Remember, no Japanese vehicle is included in the sticky accelerator problem as only pedals made by CTS in the USA have this problem. In my opinion the floor mat recall was ill advised and premature and was an overreaction to an unfortunate accident in which the wrong mats were put in the wrong car. In my view it is unnecessary. I don't visit my dealer very often but when I do I will tell them in no uncertain terms that I elect to NOT have this recall performed.
Old 02-05-10, 09:52 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

There is no Lexus involved in the recall...yet. I was reading a story in the San Jose Mercury News earlier this week about an off duty C.H.P. officer driving an ES350 that had an "unintended acceleration" incident that resulted in the deaths of him and his entire family. Time will tell where this story ends. Obviously, it in Toyota's interest to say, and wisely they are saying exactly this, that it is related to "part x" from "supplier Y" and we have a "fix", even if they really don't. The media circus has roped the Prius this week so there is no telling what will be happening going forward. The real problem for Toyota is the constant media drumbeat, soon to be abetted by the idiots in Washington having hearings, that creates a panic in the public about an almost statistically insignificant small number of problems in millions of cars produced.

Last edited by CRB; 02-05-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 10:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRB
There is no Lexus involved in the recall...yet. I was reading a story in the San Jose Mercury News earlier this week about an off duty C.H.P. officer driving an ES350 that had an "unintended acceleration" incident that resulted in the deaths of him and his entire family. Time will tell where this story ends.
Time already told.

That story was the cause for the floormat recall a couple months ago.

Like we've explained at least 3 times already in this very thread that you apparently didn't bother reading before posting.

Here's the quote on that accident, yet again:

The sheriff's report said investigators found the Lexus' acceleration was triggered when the vehicle's gas pedal became trapped by the floor mat. According to the report, the size of the mat was larger than the correct mat and did not leave enough space between the gas pedal and the floor board.

this has nothing to do with the current toyota gas pedal recall.
Old 02-05-10, 10:17 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Time already told.

That story was the cause for the floormat recall a couple months ago.

Like we've explained at least 3 times already in this very thread that you apparently didn't bother reading before posting.

Here's the quote on that accident, yet again:

this has nothing to do with the current toyota gas pedal recall.
Fox News just reported that "some Lexus models" use the same accelerator as the Prius, which isn't part of the recall but has had an "NHTSA probe" related to brakes started. This whole thing isn't about the facts of what caused the incidents but about public perception. Audi was almost destroyed in the United States from a media witch hunt around a handful of poorly documented incidents. The Mercury News story said nothing about mat trapping being the cause that I saw, but they did have a full transcript of the 911 call that the guy was making at impact.

The "story" I referred to is the media conflating separate brake-related problems in Toyota-brand products to crank up the public heat on Toyota not the true cause of any one specific brake related incident.

Last edited by CRB; 02-05-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 11:28 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

i'm not getting any of this **** "fixed" on my car.

floor mat "recall" is for dumbasses who don't know jack.

Pedal "fix"? shouldn't be a problem since floor mats are secured,

computer fix? hell no. if somehow my car starts going places i'll push teh start button for 3 seconds to turn off the car, brakes will still apply in full force just have to be more forceful on the petal

honestly the cases on the unstoppable acceleration are really limited.
Old 02-05-10, 01:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xuningshen

computer fix? hell no. if somehow my car starts going places i'll push teh start button for 3 seconds to turn off the car, brakes will still apply in full force just have to be more forceful on the petal

Putting it in neutral would be a lot better plan, no worries about losing any power assist on brakes or steering that way.
Old 02-05-10, 02:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
There is some confusion here. The IS 'fix' is a shorter gas pedal which will increase the clearance from the bottom of the pedal to the floor.
I see you also have the IS350 w/sport package and sports pedals as equipped. Have you had the "fix" done yet? If so what's your new pedal like?
Old 02-05-10, 02:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I see you also have the IS350 w/sport package and sports pedals as equipped. Have you had the "fix" done yet? If so what's your new pedal like?
I don't believe any IS's have been fixed yet as I don't think they have the pedals ready. I think the IS is at the back of the line of the other floormat related models. In any event I will not be having this recall done. It is not necessary, imo.

Quick Reply: is lexus affected by the toyota recall?