Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

War on Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 08:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

well written and strong point made. Thanks for sharing. I am blown away at how insane the media is getting about the current Toyota issues. The economic twist in the article makes sense but may have a hint of conspiracy theory in it. I don't know if the white house is behind the media frenzy. I think the frenzy is to satiate American appetite for watching stars fall. We love to see a star rise , BUT we love the see them fall even more. Look at Britney Spears, Micheal Phelps, Tiger Woods, etc, etc....
Old 02-04-10, 09:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple more which also call out this unacceptable behaviour by the US government.

Recalling a rival

Gangster government targets Toyota
Old 02-04-10, 09:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If this hurts resale values, we have a case for a class-action against the United States. I would love to take the Gangster Government to court and hold them to account for their irresponsible actions.

It's amazes me that throughout this the government paid no attention to risk and scale economics.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-04-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 10:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This whole thing has now become a media circus, over problems that even Consumer Reports says are rare and worth fixing but not going all panicky over.

Heck tonight the local CW 10PM newscast in LA was teased with "Toyota problems spread to Lexus!" which was sensationalizing to say the least.

Was googling for any commentary on what the company can do now, this is not as much on the "War on Toyota" angle but there are different opinions on whether the make will ever get their reputation back: http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.c...-its-way-back/

It's astonishing and shocking how this has unfolded. I never expected for my 8,000th post to have been talking about such an issue, and moreover to see it being discussed publicly in such a misleading and ridiculous way. Frankly I feel that the US government's forcing Toyota to suspend production and sales was a very heavy-handed move, in light of the facts---that no accidents have been linked to the defective accelerator pedals. They could do an accelerated recall but there was no need for such a shocking move. Doing that caught global attention and made it (in Consumer Reports' own words a 'rare' problem) seem like an imminent deadly danger.

All the auto blogs and sites now have haters armed with claims that Toyota cars are defective, they accelerate without warning, can't brake, rust all over, and all these ABSOLUTELY ridiculous gross exaggerations.

I also have to question the independence of government agencies who are holding financial stakes in 2 of Toyota's domestic rivals, and are calling the shots here.

As Mr. La Hood said, in addition to his retracted don't-drive-a-Toyota comment,

"We are not done with Toyota yet."
Old 02-04-10, 10:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the stock continues to drop, soon it will be a great time to buy Toyota stock. I am considering doing so myself.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Ford Fusion Hybrid has similar but what it seems more serious issue:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-a-recall.html

Notice how LA Times is easy on them and says they reacted "quickly". I wonder - issue was fixed in production in October, and Ford reacted only when CR reported it.

How quick is that? ;-)

now wanna bet how much media time will Fusion Hybrid issue get vs Prius? ha!
Exactly. The Ford hybrid brake issue is barely even being reported on. Why isn't the media creating hysteria here? Simple, because they are being influenced by the US govt and have a clear anti-Toyota agenda right now.

The latest word is now Tacomas might be investigated for sudden unintended acceleration.

Originally Posted by bad co
You guys need to stop drinking the Toyota cool aid. Toyota ******d up period, now thanks to the media they have been brought to justice. More information is coming out due to the pressure applied by the media. First Toyota said its just the floor mats, pressure from the media made them admit that there is flaw in the pedal its self . Now Toyota is also admitting that there is an issues with the Prius brakes. I don't care what you say with out pressure from the media Toyota wouldn't give us the kind information we have. Just because you love Toyota doesn't mean it should be kept quiet to keep Toyota clean. The last thing I want is my friends and families safety being jeopardized because a company wants to keep there name clean.
Stop drinking the US media and US gov't cool aid and get a grip .

Ford just recently admitted to, and issued a fix for Fusion and Milan hybrid brake problems. The media is barely even reporting it. The US govt is not holding any hearings on Ford's brake issue.

Why aren't you so passionate about the Ford hybrid brake issue, or the numerous other serious issues that currently GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles have?
Old 02-04-10, 10:55 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As the stock continues to drop, soon it will be a great time to buy Toyota stock. I am considering doing so myself.
SSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhh, Don't tell everyone!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-10, 10:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yall do realize if lets say the chairman of a car company said the same thing as LaHood, that is legal grounds for Toyota to sue because it is an attempt to supress equity or market share.

but this time it was a govt official so you cant sue them

2/4/10 Judge Napolitano: Secretary LaHood Should Have Kept His Mouth Shut on Toyota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdeJ00SDUA&feature=sub
Old 02-05-10, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
This whole thing has now become a media circus, over problems that even Consumer Reports says are rare and worth fixing but not going all panicky over.

Heck tonight the local CW 10PM newscast in LA was teased with "Toyota problems spread to Lexus!" which was sensationalizing to say the least.

Was googling for any commentary on what the company can do now, this is not as much on the "War on Toyota" angle but there are different opinions on whether the make will ever get their reputation back: http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.c...-its-way-back/

It's astonishing and shocking how this has unfolded. I never expected for my 8,000th post to have been talking about such an issue, and moreover to see it being discussed publicly in such a misleading and ridiculous way. Frankly I feel that the US government's forcing Toyota to suspend production and sales was a very heavy-handed move, in light of the facts---that no accidents have been linked to the defective accelerator pedals. They could do an accelerated recall but there was no need for such a shocking move. Doing that caught global attention and made it (in Consumer Reports' own words a 'rare' problem) seem like an imminent deadly danger.

All the auto blogs and sites now have haters armed with claims that Toyota cars are defective, they accelerate without warning, can't brake, rust all over, and all these ABSOLUTELY ridiculous gross exaggerations.

I also have to question the independence of government agencies who are holding financial stakes in 2 of Toyota's domestic rivals, and are calling the shots here.

As Mr. La Hood said, in addition to his retracted don't-drive-a-Toyota comment,

"We are not done with Toyota yet."
Yup. The article had ONE SENTENCE on Lexus, the new HS 250h. Pathetic media.

I have warned about the media vs Toyota for sometime now.

Old 02-05-10, 12:25 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Personally I think they could have handled it better and the PR department has done a horrid job. I am still confident in the vehicles. Quite frankly I haven't been convinced there is some huge glaring problem. Is there a problem? Seems so. EVERY car and every brand has problems.

The media is the media, they love you one moment and hate you the next. Let them do them.

Can't wait for Car and Driver to beat them up
Maybe I should take our IS250's airbag issue to the news. Passenger air bag doesn't turn on, the dealer on multiple occasions has said it is because my fiance is too light. What bs. Safety issue?
Old 02-05-10, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Maybe I should take our IS250's airbag issue to the news. Passenger air bag doesn't turn on, the dealer on multiple occasions has said it is because my fiance is too light. What bs. Safety issue?
Maybe the light is burned out and its a PITA to replace?

I know for a fact I can press down on the seat or have something not weighing close to 100 lbs and the light goes on.

might be a light that went out.

Old 02-05-10, 12:43 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe the light is burned out and its a PITA to replace?

I know for a fact I can press down on the seat or have something not weighing close to 100 lbs and the light goes on.

might be a light that went out.
Sorry, I should rephrase it, the passenger airbag sometimes does not turn on. It turns on when I sit on it, not when she does sometimes. I'm apparently heavy enough.

She's around 110 lbs, the service advisor or w/e lexus calls them told her that she is too light (female advisor). I was like really? If I was there I would've called her out on it because what happens when kids sit there?
Old 02-05-10, 12:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

my passenger airbag off light comes on when I have my brief case on the seat next to me. Mind you its loaded and has a apple lap top in it.

I had an issue with my air bag ripping and leaked into the steering column parts so when I turned the wheels I could hear stuff rolling around inside the wheel. What would have happened if I needed that air bag for safety. I have never heard of an air bag tearing
Old 02-05-10, 12:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
She's around 110 lbs, the service advisor or w/e lexus calls them told her that she is too light (female advisor). I was like really? If I was there I would've called her out on it because what happens when kids sit there?
She will say kids should sit in back, which they should sit in back because it's safer.

But to your original question, is the threshold 110 pounds?
Old 02-05-10, 01:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just found this on autoblog http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/05/h...-hummer-at-le/ It states that a survey shows that consumers are rating toyota below hummer.......sounds like BS but again the publicity will erode the stellar reputation of the company. Many here dont think so because its a Lexus forum but this is not good any way you slice it
Old 02-05-10, 01:24 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Government conspiracy? I highly doubt it. This is media driven, pure and simple. Like 1Sick, I'm very reluctant to believe there are throttle issues at all. (Above and beyond the floor mat problem) This has been investigated again and again over the last ten years by Lexus and the NHTSA. There have been hundreds (just like all manufacturers) of investigations into sticking throttles in Toyota vehicles. To this day, there has not been a single problem found with a sticking gas pedal on any Toyota or Lexus model. (other than the floor mat issue) I often wonder what the He** Toyota is fixing if there's no problem found. I think the conspiracy is on Toyota's part to come up with a bogus fix just to satisfy the NHTSA, and, more importantly, the media. All this, of course, is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: War on Toyota