Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW got me hooked

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 04:16 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great congratz!
Old 02-06-10, 08:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You're talking about the Hybrid RX400H though right? My regular RX was only averaging 18 MPG, and with a low city of 14. That was with the original 3.3L motor too and only 230HP I think.
Precisely my point. I wouldn't purchase an RX350 either. ...now a 2.0L Ecoboost Ford Explorer could certainly do some real damage to the market.
Old 02-08-10, 10:02 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone... I love the truck, so I haven't been using my IS as much. But it's a 3 Xdrive with the M Pkg, Tech, Sound, Cold Weather, iPod, ummm I forgot what else, basically everything except the comfort access.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Looks good congrats.....Got my Bimmer from Hassel as well.
Oh yeah? who was your salesperson?
Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Really, the X5 and X6 with all the same options as my fathers FX where 10-20 grand more, X5 3.0 are 60k, a little underpowered for such an expensive vehicle

Not trying to offend anyone, but the X5 is worth the extra money. I've driven an FX50 many times, as my cousin has a 2009, black on black... and its a great truck, but after test driving the X5, taking it on the roads and Hwys, the hype of BMW drivability is NOT exaggerated. It's pretty amazing.
Old 02-09-10, 08:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I missed this thread. Congrats Frank! Did you ever speak the my CA @ Rallye BMW that I referred you to a while back ?
Old 02-09-10, 01:16 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm late in too. Congratz

I also find it interesting that an SUV managed to get you hooked. You should try a car ... *evil grin here*
Old 02-09-10, 03:36 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats. I drove a 4.4 for a while. It does drive different from a JDM even in SUV form. BMW-the ultimate driving machine. Can't wait for the new twin turbo 550i.
Old 02-10-10, 09:38 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I missed this thread. Congrats Frank! Did you ever speak the my CA @ Rallye BMW that I referred you to a while back ?
Shockkerrr... Na, fortunately I became friends with a sales woman in Hassel and she hooked me up pretty good. But next year I might use your guy, we'll see what happens.
Originally Posted by Faymester
I'm late in too. Congratz

I also find it interesting that an SUV managed to get you hooked. You should try a car ... *evil grin here*
Lol yeaaa definitely considering a car in a year or so, and getting rid of the IS... those M's drive Reaaallll nice. A friend of mine, 22 year old kid has a 2008 M5, custom everything. I drove it last week, I am officially a BMW addict.

Originally Posted by dsouth
Congrats. I drove a 4.4 for a while. It does drive different from a JDM even in SUV form. BMW-the ultimate driving machine. Can't wait for the new twin turbo 550i.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-10-10, 09:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyJ

Oh yeah? who was your salesperson?
Her name was Lucy Vanegas, i think. (Have her card somewhere) Very nice lady.

I didnt get any giveaways though, Lexus hooked me up with keychains, hats, etc. Nothing from bmw.

Sales process was really easy with zero pressure, my favorite part was being able to custom order the car from scratch. Any option, color combo, pretty cool. Hopefully Lexus will incorporate this as well.
Old 02-11-10, 09:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
Shockkerrr... Na, fortunately I became friends with a sales woman in Hassel and she hooked me up pretty good. But next year I might use your guy, we'll see what happens.
When ever you are ready my man. Having a pair of BMWs is gratifying.

I didnt get any giveaways though, Lexus hooked me up with keychains, hats, etc. Nothing from bmw.

Sales process was really easy with zero pressure, my favorite part was being able to custom order the car from scratch. Any option, color combo, pretty cool. Hopefully Lexus will incorporate this as well.
It is indeed great configuring the car to your liking & have a variety of delivery options such performance Center, Euro @ the Welt & BMW Center. BMW claims that no two BMWs are configured exactly alike.

Both of you guys will be recieving the Ultimate Driving Machine Welcome Kit in the mail straight from BMW NA. It includes HD DVD's, Audio CD's, booklets showcasing the history, technology, testing, build & much more of the models from BMW including your own.

In your second year in, you will be recieving a gift. It could be a genuine carbon fiber pen

Enjoy your vehicles..
Old 02-11-10, 10:58 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Her name was Lucy Vanegas, i think. (Have her card somewhere) Very nice lady.

Unfortunately, even though you get more customizing than you do with Lexus, BMW (and Audi, Benz, VW) still doesn't allow US customers the same level of customization they offer European customers. They do offer a decent selection of stand-alone options, but their packages are a little obtuse. I think EVERYTHING should be stand-alone options, basically like it is in Europe.

Volvo actually does this better than anyone, at least as far as US customers go. If you order a Volvo through their Overseas Delivery (OSD), you get access to colors and options that are only available to European customers, which is really cool.

Anyway, yeah, it sucks that Lexus doesn't have a larger stand-alone options list, but I understand that their customers probably aren't into that sort of "customization". What I do find unacceptable and baffling really is their lack of an overseas delivery program like the European brands offer.
Old 02-11-10, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Unfortunately, even though you get more customizing than you do with Lexus, BMW (and Audi, Benz, VW) still doesn't allow US customers the same level of customization they offer European customers. They do offer a decent selection of stand-alone options, but their packages are a little obtuse. I think EVERYTHING should be stand-alone options, basically like it is in Europe.

Volvo actually does this better than anyone, at least as far as US customers go. If you order a Volvo through their Overseas Delivery (OSD), you get access to colors and options that are only available to European customers, which is really cool.

Anyway, yeah, it sucks that Lexus doesn't have a larger stand-alone options list, but I understand that their customers probably aren't into that sort of "customization". What I do find unacceptable and baffling really is their lack of an overseas delivery program like the European brands offer.
You make some great points.

Probably not much interest to go to Japan to see a Lexus made. Outside of recent IS-F/LFA would many go?

On top of that just a ticket to Japan is much more expensive than to Europe. Much longer flight too.

Probably not very viable.

Old 02-11-10, 04:36 PM
Blackberry
Driver School Candidate

I too became a BMW X5 owner after having Lexus vehicles for a while. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate everything about this SUV from its solid build quality, classy interior, and sporty driving characteristics.
Old 02-11-10, 06:40 PM
itsmarcjs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blackberry
I too became a BMW X5 owner after having Lexus vehicles for a while. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate everything about this SUV from its solid build quality, classy interior, and sporty driving characteristics.
The only complaint that I have on mine after about 2 months owning it is that I notice there is this horrible creaking sound when I'm coming to a stop and again when I start from a stop. Its coming from the passenger side door area. I hope it isn't something to do with the frame.

Wait, there is this other gripe I have. lol This car gets horrible brake dust in front. I have to have it washed like every week.