Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mannequin in carpool lane earns woman ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 08:26 PM
legit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Another way to extort people, knowing people will break the ridiculous law and therefore have to pay a fine for it, kind of what happened to this individual.
It's a good system here. The highways here become clogged up EVERY rush hour attributed mainly due to poor driver skills hindering traffic.

i.e. a fail lane change from the exit ramp, traffic flow of 120km/h suddenly becomes ->80km/h which results in braking and the end result several KM down is a traffic jam etc.

The HOV lanes are excellent because you manage to bypass quite a bit of traffic (a good hour's worth at least).

^ That section is several KM upwards from another section that takes 30 minutes - 2 hours to get pass (due to a merge onto a 6 lane highway which is also quite slow every morning)
Old 02-04-10, 08:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
A sole driver in the carpool lane is a $1100 ticket in California.

Guys, don't do it.
Funny....I got one back in the day in LA and only paid $351

Originally Posted by PHXSC
$600 here.....

My wife got one and it was $317 in Phoenix.
Old 02-04-10, 09:21 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a body pillow with sunglasses and a hat taped on once.
Old 02-04-10, 09:31 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not the first on the Long Island Expressway, there are people that even go without a passenger.
Old 02-04-10, 09:35 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by legit
It's a good system here. The highways here become clogged up EVERY rush hour attributed mainly due to poor driver skills hindering traffic.

i.e. a fail lane change from the exit ramp, traffic flow of 120km/h suddenly becomes ->80km/h which results in braking and the end result several KM down is a traffic jam etc.

The HOV lanes are excellent because you manage to bypass quite a bit of traffic (a good hour's worth at least).

^ That section is several KM upwards from another section that takes 30 minutes - 2 hours to get pass (due to a merge onto a 6 lane highway which is also quite slow every morning)
So people with more than one person in the car can use that lane while everyone else has to sit in the traffic and suffer? How exactly is that fair? What justifies a car with more people getting to have free flowing traffic and cars with less people, must sit and wait?
Old 02-04-10, 09:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Funny....I got one back in the day in LA and only paid $351
It changed on 1/1/09.

Anyways, it's actually about $800. But with fees and such, it comes out to $1100.
Old 02-04-10, 10:12 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
My wife got one and it was $317 in Phoenix.
How long ago was this? The standard fine in AZ is now $619 due to the mandated fee added as a court cost. If you do traffic school, it's much less. I knew a guy who got 2 tickets - one for speeding, and one for being in the HOV. He had to go to school for the speeding and pay the HOV. Ended up being almost $800 even with traffic school. That's a big ouch.

Originally Posted by encore888
LOL I have wondered about how effective that would be, perhaps at night?
In AZ, carpool ends at 7 PM. I agree with the idea that it's ridiculous, too. If you really think about it, what they should do is ticket the idiots that drive too slow in the wrong lanes. Cars are more efficient when traveling at highway speeds, period. Speed rate the lanes and force slower drivers to stay right or else.

My question is this - those who carpool pay fewer gas taxes than those who don't, so how is it fair that everyone pays to make the lane, but only a very small portion get to use it?

Big Mack
Old 02-04-10, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

as much as i want to get to the hov lane having less traffic, i just think of it has a "benefit" for saving the environment with transporting more people in one car.
Old 02-04-10, 11:25 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

haha thats funny, can't believe she's been doing it for years. the mennequin does look like a real woman. she's well dressed too lol
Old 02-04-10, 11:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I love it, and kudos to her for getting away for so long
Old 02-04-10, 11:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

unless it was rush hour, the mannequin idea wouldve been perfect. there r so many people who put on coats or even wigs on the headrests just to try and get away from it. for the most part, cops can pretty much assume theres at least two people in the car (three during certain hours). my best friend used one of those crying baby toys from toys r us, and put it in her kid's car seat (the kid was at school), and she swears- no cop will dare come after a mother with a crying kid. hilarious!