Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

buying a used cpo lexus out of state- is it mandatory to pay their shipper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 04:21 PM
uthustler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a used cpo lexus out of state- is it mandatory to pay their shipper?

Looking to buy a used lexus in cali. All set to wire the money and salesman says since I'm shipping it, it will cost $1000 non-enclosed or $1700 enclosed. That's higher than giraffe poosy so I said I'd arrange my own shipping. He says that isn't an option and I either pay their rate with their contract shipper or fly out and get it.

I think that's bull****. That isn't a lexus nationwide policy is it?
Old 02-04-10, 05:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's definitely bs. if you pay for the car already, it's yours. how can they control what carrier you use. and usually shipping a car like that, probably cost like what, 700? just my guess
Old 02-04-10, 05:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll drive it to Dallas for you for $500

Seriously, I can fly out there for free...

you can get an estimate here --- http://www.dasautoshippers.com/?utm_...FRMXawodVXLIHQ
Old 02-04-10, 05:27 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think in this case the dealer could set his conditions for shipping. For one, if you arrange shipping and something isn't quite right with the car you could claim it was a defect and ask for redress. The dealer is protecting his profit. If you want to proceed with arranging the shipping make sure you have a firm quote (with insurance) in hand to compare with his price. If its $200-300 difference I'd pay the difference for the convenience and coverage. It's only about 1% of the car's cost, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Or like he said, fly out and drive it back.
Old 02-04-10, 05:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I think in this case the dealer could set his conditions for shipping. For one, if you arrange shipping and something isn't quite right with the car you could claim it was a defect and ask for redress. The dealer is protecting his profit. If you want to proceed with arranging the shipping make sure you have a firm quote (with insurance) in hand to compare with his price. If its $200-300 difference I'd pay the difference for the convenience and coverage. It's only about 1% of the car's cost, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Or like he said, fly out and drive it back.
well - I had a friend buy a used vette sight unseen from ebay (from somewhere NE) and shipped - it arrived with some scratches under the front bumper and the shipping co had to pay to repaint it because they (the shipper) didn't note the scratches when he picked the car up from the dealer.

I don't see how they can demand you use their shipper.
Old 02-04-10, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
well - I had a friend buy a used vette sight unseen from ebay (from somewhere NE) and shipped - it arrived with some scratches under the front bumper and the shipping co had to pay to repaint it because they (the shipper) didn't note the scratches when he picked the car up from the dealer.

I don't see how they can demand you use their shipper.
yup, that's why there is insurance on the shipping. they send out an inspector to look at the car, notice all the problems, if any, and then report to you before shipping
Old 02-04-10, 07:24 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't paid, make the purchase contingent upon you securing your own reputable shipper. I have worked with some dealers, however, that will not release the vehicle to anyone other than the purchaser or one of their trusted shippers.

As for shippers - you get what you pay for. I once tried a different shipper and it arrived on a pickup truck pulling a flatbed trailer, driven by Larry the Cable Guy. It can take weeks and weeks with some budget shippers to collect enough cars in the area to justify a trip. Others aren't shippers at all, but act as a middleman for other shipping companies.

Personally, I use Intercity Lines -- they cost a bit more (the last time I used them, it was $1100 from Illinois to Virginia) - but they are very, very good. All 3 times I've used them, the vehicles have arrived in perfect condition, inside an enclosed hauler, covered inside the hauler.

Have you seen this car or had someone inspect it? If not, get Carchex or a similar service to inspect the vehicle, take detailed pictures and send you a full report. Do NOT trust the dealer for this, even if it is "CPO" (which, beyond a great warranty, means nothing as to the way a vehicle was treated.)

Good luck!