Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 550i GT - $74,000 of "just useful"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 10:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

saw it in person at the Houston Auto Show, hideous.
Old 02-08-10, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup.....they released these too and well, they don't make them anymore. So lets not act like they haven't misjudged the market.

I think 800 or so of these were sold last year. Guess what, they are not bringing it to us anymore

There is no doubt there is utility and it can appeal to those that want a SUV/wagon/sedan thing. It also could not have cost much to develop since it uses the 7 platform and 5 parts. So it is possible with low sales, it can be profitable especially at the asking price. Udel though brings up a good point this just adds to image dilution. It is not sexy, it is not really aspirational and its ANOTHER SUVish thing from them.

I have not seen sales goals yet (need to find).
agreed. when someone can actually prove that every single decision by bmw is correct and right on, we will talk again
Old 02-08-10, 10:23 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Official sales goal from BMW is 4000-5000 a year. It's quite a range, so averaging it out BMW expects to sell between 333-416 per month. Somewhat realistic, but sales could end up being quite lower than that, especially given the fact the 5 GT in the US is V8-only and has a higher MSRP than the X6.
Old 02-08-10, 10:39 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
agreed. when someone can actually prove that every single decision by bmw is correct and right on, we will talk again
BMW is always right because they are BMW.

BMW, and also Mercedes to a certain extent, are exceptionally arrogant and delusional.

Once they come up with an idea and put it into production, they do not admit failure or otherwise make adjustments, no matter how much criticism is lobbed at them. Oddly, criticism seems to make them even MORE stubborn.

Recently, it was first Bangle styling. Then iDrive. Then colossally stupid and/or uncompetitive products like the X3, X6, and now this GT. They really just don't care. As long as they sell even just 1 new GT, they'll probably be happy because to them it will CONCLUSIVELY PROVE that they made a product that SOMEONE wants and they have FILLED another **imaginary** "niche" in the marketplace.

Based on their latest offerings, I think BMW conceives their products during Oktoberfest competitions. Naturally, in a drunken stupor, the most ridiculous idea wins. Then when they sober up they present the idea as if it were a stroke of real genius and get it approved for production. I mean really, they can't mess with the 3 Series or 5 Series too much, so what else is there for them to do??
Old 02-08-10, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
BMW is always right because they are BMW.

BMW, and also Mercedes to a certain extent, are exceptionally arrogant and delusional.

Once they come up with an idea and put it into production, they do not admit failure or otherwise make adjustments, no matter how much criticism is lobbed at them. Oddly, criticism seems to make them even MORE stubborn.

Recently, it was first Bangle styling. Then iDrive. Then colossally stupid and/or uncompetitive products like the X3, X6, and now this GT. They really just don't care. As long as they sell even just 1 new GT, they'll probably be happy because to them it will CONCLUSIVELY PROVE that they made a product that SOMEONE wants and they have FILLED another **imaginary** "niche" in the marketplace.

Based on their latest offerings, I think BMW conceives their products during Oktoberfest competitions. Naturally, in a drunken stupor, the most ridiculous idea wins. Then when they sober up they present the idea as if it were a stroke of real genius and get it approved for production. I mean really, they can't mess with the 3 Series or 5 Series too much, so what else is there for them to do??
well to be fair, i would say my statement applies to all manufacturers, not just bmw or mb. so that includes lexus as well for all i care. i am sure every decision they make have some kind of marketing effort behind to back them up, but that's far from saying they are all correct.

i own bmw, and i like what i have. but unlike some i wouldn't love everything just because of the brand
Old 02-08-10, 11:07 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

well to be fair, i would say my statement applies to all manufacturers, not just bmw or mb. so that includes lexus as well for all i care. i am sure every decision they make have some kind of marketing effort behind to back them up, but that's far from saying they are all correct.

i own bmw, and i like what i have. but unlike some i wouldn't love everything just because of the brand
I was exaggerating for effect of course, but I was also being half-serious. It really does seem like they take a design first, sell later approach to some of their models.

I don't think your statement can be applied to all car makers, though. Some, like Subaru, seem to be much more in touch with customers and are able and willing to respond to criticism and enact change (see the debacle with the 2008 WRX for an example).
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Sat inside the 550 GT.

It has very strange front door. The door does not have a window frame and the door is so incredibly short. It was very strange to say the least
Old 02-08-10, 11:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Official sales goal from BMW is 4000-5000 a year. It's quite a range, so averaging it out BMW expects to sell between 333-416 per month. Somewhat realistic, but sales could end up being quite lower than that, especially given the fact the 5 GT in the US is V8-only and has a higher MSRP than the X6.
Well again BMW has to sell more vehicles so they have to enter even niche to sqeeze any possible sale or they will suffer b/c of economies of scale. This car didn't take much R&D to develop, its all existing things except the design. So to that extent its a smart move. However I don't see it being a hit here at all so maybe they expect it to sell in other markets.

MSRP means nothing as they lease very low and BMW leases more than anyone in luxury.

Henry=breath of fresh air

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, the R-class is a failure (but that's just an opinion even though the sales numbers in the US are pathetic). I don't expect this GT thing to do much better being an over-priced, over-engineered, ugly, over-weight gas guzzler.
No better word than from Benz themselves

Mercedes admits R-Class was a failure

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/15/m...was-a-failure/

Old 02-08-10, 12:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I was exaggerating for effect of course, but I was also being half-serious. It really does seem like they take a design first, sell later approach to some of their models.

I don't think your statement can be applied to all car makers, though. Some, like Subaru, seem to be much more in touch with customers and are able and willing to respond to criticism and enact change (see the debacle with the 2008 WRX for an example).
oh yup, totally agree with you. some companies definitely are more willing to listen to people and try to improve from there. but then again, subaru still make some wrong decisions on the wrx, but then that's where they listen and correct.

by comparison, i definitely don't hear as much from bmw about listening to customers and make changes accordingly. they tend to drive more from themselves and tell people this is what the future is. maybe, but i am not sure
Old 02-08-10, 12:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Henry=breath of fresh air
lol i guess it's learning curve for us. for some it's just harder to realize every brand has their goods and bads and try to be objective. we have plenty of people here who thinks lexus is the best and everything else is crap. same with some on bmw, mb, etc... it never hurts to open up and try to enjoy what it's worth
Old 02-08-10, 12:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

lol, agreed. Many of us are enthusiasts that will continue to select and reject specific models even from the supposed best of brands.
Old 02-08-10, 02:03 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I admit to being against the 5GT till one day I was at my local BMW and thought *I have to just look at one* ... so I did, I even sat in it ... IF I were a remotely practical person AND the price wasn't so close to a FFRR which essentially needs nothing added (well, if I option the 5GT my way the price is close in Canada anyhow) I would probably definitely conside a 5GT ... but that's one massive IF as well as a huge AND for me.
Old 02-08-10, 04:22 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Of course 5 GTs are a common sight in Stuttgart; the majority of cars sold in Stuttgart are German brands, and BMW often tests their cars in and around Stuttgart. That's like saying Toyotas are a common sight in Japan.
Interesting. I didn't know BMW tests their cars in Stuttgart - because this is Porsche and Mercedes territory. BMW, I imagine, tests their cars in Munich and the surrounding region (and within Bavaria).

How are you so sure BMW "wouldn't release a car if there was no market for it"?
I think this question is self-explanatory. Why waste money on a product that won't sell? Before this car even got the green light for production BMW evaluated their market research data - which told them something that nobody on this forum, including me, knows about. Clearly there is a market for this car - in Europe, North America and perhaps even Asia. It's too early to tell but I would wait for the sales figure 3-6 months from now.

Why is it when virtually every other automaker releases a vehicle like this, an answer to a question nobody asked, they are criticized for it? Yet when BMW or Mercedes release such sort of a vehicle, they are praised for it by certain people?
Huh? Where is this the case? I think that BMW and MB receive their fair share of criticism just like everyone else.

Why does BMW deserve to be praised or commended for such a vehicle? It is nothing more than a raised 5 Series wagon with uglier styling meant to look "cool" and to attract people who didn't buy regular 5 Series wagons. The whole idea is ridiculous, especially since the 5 GT will be sold alongside the regular 5 wagon in Europe.
In the European press the 5er estate is often criticized for being less spacious than its rivals from Audi and Mercedes. The 5er GT will most likely address these utility issues.

People see different things and advantages in different cars. You might not find the 5er GT appealing but there are people out there for whom this car fulfills a need and that's the deciding factor.

How is the 5 GT an "excellent" car for it's price class? It starts at 64K! For 64K, there are much better vehicles you can get for safety, space, and comfort. I used to think the X6 was a pointless, redundant vehicle, but the 5 GT now holds that title. The X6 actually seems like a much more useful vehicle compared to this 5 GT.
Where did I claim that the 5er is an excellent car for its price? If at all, I said that the 5er GT is an excellent car. What this car offers for its price is in end effect a subjective issue, too.

If the 5 GT offered something really meaningful like sportier handling than a 5 Series, or more off-road capability, it would make more sense. If it offered something more meaningful, along with better styling, then there would be a market for such a car.
I have a hard time believing anyone considering a 5 series GT will expect it to handle better than a 5 series. I don't see this as being possible given the 5er GTs higher center of gravity. If anything, people will find the 5er GT appealing because of its increased utility and interior space (and the badge). I'm sure it handles well like a BMW should, but it won't be a 5 series in terms of driving dynamics.

Off road?

A problem I predict will happen is that here in the US 5 GT sales will cannibalize X6 sales and vice-versa.
I don't think the X6 is supposed to be mass-seller in the first place. BMW probably expects the X5 to make up the bulk of sales. The X6 is most likely positioned as a sportier and "stylish" alternative to the X5.

The difference with the Lexus HS is, despite the less-then-appealing styling of it, at the moment it is outselling the R-Class and X6 by far, and it will no doubt outsell the 5 GT by far in the US. The HS at this point even remains supply-limited, as huge demand for the car exists in Japan, which limits the US supply.
What does the HS have to do with a 5er GT or X6?
Old 02-08-10, 04:26 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
The R class failed in the US, but not exactly because it was marketed wrongly. It failed because, along with last gen ML class, it is an Alabama built turd, and it shows in its quality and reliability. These two vehicles are perhaps the worst MB has ever built.
Oh please, Mercedes got their act together. The current M class is far from the disaster the original ML was. It might not be as reliable as a Lexus RX but apparently it's reliable enough for most people out there since it sold very strongly.

German quality and reliability surveys give the current ML a very good score. And these are not based on nationalism but facts. Real people reporting their experiences over years with the car. I have one of these reviews lying around my place somewhere. Will scan it once I find it and post it here for your benefit.
Old 02-08-10, 04:28 PM
LexFather

To be fair Dustin, post 33...(I am guessing that is why he brought up the HS)

Originally Posted by DustinV
The Lexus HS250h is an excellent car, as you even pointed out in your personal review, but I sure think the design is incredibly hideous. That's my opinion. Do you respect my opinion?
I read that it doesn't have much if any more cargo room than a 5 series wagon (looking for article).

To me if Audi knows not to bring the A5 5 door hatch here as Americans scoff at them for whatever reason(s). BMW is taking another chance here and as you stated, we shall see how it sells. (I hope they separate sales instead of including it in the 5 series figures).

Quick Reply: BMW 550i GT - $74,000 of "just useful"