Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

illegal to wash my car in my driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 12:16 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

As mentioned, it's a city thing, not a state thing. Some cities say no, while most other say yes. It's alright in my neck of the woods, but drought laws could override that. I
n most cases, there's no need to wash a car unless there's mud or road salt caked on. A weekly wipe down usually keeps things in check enough to be able to avoid a hose.
Old 02-06-10, 12:32 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought if you use biodegradable soap, it's all good. I read some where that if use soaps without phosphates then it's safe for draining.

Being able to wash my car seems to me a fundamental right. It's in the Constitution somewhere....I know it. Maybe Amendment 23.
Old 02-06-10, 04:07 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell her that you're actually doing your civic duty of washing the street. However, being environmentally sensitive, you are pre-using the street washing water on your car.
Old 02-06-10, 06:26 AM
Temptation
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
......However, being environmentally sensitive, you are pre-using the street washing water on your car.

That's right........kill two birds in one stone !!!
Old 02-06-10, 06:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Should have told her you are using special Japanese car soap made from whale blubber which is biodegradable.
Old 02-06-10, 06:44 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is reccomended that you wash your car in the grass so that water is filtered through the soil.

The aftermath of a clean car is a very serious issue if it is draining into a sewer. I am doing work on a thesis about autism right now and I believe that there is definately a link between our diet and the increasinging prevalence rates. Think of the rubber, the fractional pieces of metal, the dirt and emission particles that come off of your car when you clean it. It then drains into an area, such as the ocean, where one might catch fish and then eat it. The irony I have found from working several years in an upscale grocery store is that people are terrified of farm raised fish, like its going to harm them. However, that is the fish that is free of contaminates and mercury. Go figure.
Old 02-06-10, 08:55 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I would hate to tell her what else goes to the fishes here. When this development was built they piped the drains to a large concrete box and the sewers to another pipe into the same box with one pipe out to the local river. Yes folks you read correctly.
Old 02-06-10, 09:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

yeah I would like to meet the lame *** cop who would cite someone for that. I think I would have told her to mind her own business depending on the tone in her voice

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-06-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 09:26 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

even in texas when i live with my parents in a gated community with a home owners association, they had rules prohibiting any car maintenance, car wash, etc.
Old 02-06-10, 10:40 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe it all sounds crazy to me. If I want to wash my car, I should have the GOD given right to do so. Thank GOD I dont live in California, way too many rules and emissions laws out there.. Just another politician trying to figure something else stupid to come up with, IMO.
Old 02-06-10, 11:24 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It is reccomended that you wash your car in the grass so that water is filtered through the soil.
opening up another can of worm-some neighbors can even get mad at you for parking on the grass
Old 02-06-10, 01:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

parking on the grass is ghetto. It looks like you are in the hood. I would report a neighbor to the association in half a second if they were parked on the grass for more than a day. I have association in my neighborhood as well and I am pretty sure there is no issue with washing the car. In fact I kind of like it when I pass my neighbors on the weekend and many of the owners have their beautiful high end cars out in the driveway detailing them. I used to think I was strange washing my car every week , but then a neighbor moved in 3 houses down who washes his cars every week. Now I dont feel like a freak any more
Old 02-06-10, 01:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Honestly, who cares if your car is parked on the grass for an hour while you wash it? And if it's your property than it isn't your neighbor's business. It's a small sacrafice for health.
Old 02-06-10, 01:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Scrubbadubdub.
Old 02-06-10, 02:05 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99

The aftermath of a clean car is a very serious issue if it is draining into a sewer. I am doing work on a thesis about autism right now and I believe that there is definately a link between our diet and the increasinging prevalence rates. Think of the rubber, the fractional pieces of metal, the dirt and emission particles that come off of your car when you clean it. It then drains into an area, such as the ocean, where one might catch fish and then eat it. The irony I have found from working several years in an upscale grocery store is that people are terrified of farm raised fish, like its going to harm them. However, that is the fish that is free of contaminates and mercury. Go figure.
But how does this differ from rain water washing dirt and debris off of my car and draining into the sewer? Oh yeah, it doesn't.

Btw, the greatest influence on autism rates is the age of the child's parents. The increase in autism can be directly linked to the ever increasing age that couples have children. You'll have difficulty proving causation for other factors.

edit: I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you SLegacy99. I'm always +1 when you post, "wish it came with a manual tranny."

Last edited by pvmike1; 02-06-10 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: illegal to wash my car in my driveway?