Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM examples of creativity gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 10:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The examples of creativity gone wrong by GM are too numerous to mention, but they certainly contributed to the eventual bankruptcy.
Old 02-08-10, 04:38 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The examples of creativity gone wrong by GM are too numerous to mention, but they certainly contributed to the eventual bankruptcy.
^^^^1,after the Aztec I could no longer blame all of GM's woes on the UAW and their bloated contracts
Old 02-08-10, 10:58 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Just admiring a GMC Denali pickup (as I am the farthest from a pickup kinda guy) and the detail, style and looks of this truck. Very nice...I googled the original MSRP and these bad boys went for $40k new. Now you can get a five year old one for about $10k!!! Pretty nice!

What about this SSR? Convertible pickup truck? Not another Dodge Dakota though...nice retro Chevy 50's series truck...nice dual pipes, staggered set up wheels, HID headlights, cool interior. Did it come out too late? Did all the retro buyers gobble up the PT cruisers and prowlers and left no one to buy this? I kinda like...very unique thinking by GM, but perhaps it came out too late?

My favorite truck though...the Lincoln Mark whatever. That's a Bad Boy F150

The SSR was the answer to a question no one asked. It's styling was kinda gimmicky and just slightly cool (the first time you saw one, anyway). But once that quickly wore off, there was nothing of substance. It was built on the Trailblazer platform, so it sucked as a performance vehicle and was totally useless otherwise. Served no other purpose other than being a conversation piece, but that's a double-edged sword because the conversation would probably revolve around what possessed you to buy one in the first place.

The Denali-trim type trucks are just a cash cow for GM. Fancier plastic outside, crappy GM leather inside, upgraded stereo, and boom, $40K+ price for a pickup whose mechanicals and quality were equal to a $30K Silverado. I often get a kick out of people who buy luxury/lifestyle pickups. Only in America (and maybe Dubai).
Old 02-08-10, 11:25 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
... The Denali-trim type trucks are just a cash cow for GM. Fancier plastic outside, crappy GM leather inside, upgraded stereo, and boom, $40K+ price for a pickup whose mechanicals and quality were equal to a $30K Silverado. I often get a kick out of people who buy luxury/lifestyle pickups. Only in America (and maybe Dubai).
The Denali line used to have performance items in addition to the trim. Also, when I bought my SD, the price difference between a loaded 4wd Sierra SLT with leather and an AWD Denali with the larger engine, AWD, quadrasteer, etc. was a bit over $2K. As for quality issues, I owned 3 GM trucks in the past decade (99 Sierra, 02 Avalanche, and 04 SD) and had very few problems with them aside from a bit of cold start knock in the two early 5.3 engines. Of course, that alone may sour some folks forever.
Old 02-08-10, 11:42 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The Denali line used to have performance items in addition to the trim. Also, when I bought my SD, the price difference between a loaded 4wd Sierra SLT with leather and an AWD Denali with the larger engine, AWD, quadrasteer, etc. was a bit over $2K. As for quality issues, I owned 3 GM trucks in the past decade (99 Sierra, 02 Avalanche, and 04 SD) and had very few problems with them aside from a bit of cold start knock in the two early 5.3 engines. Of course, that alone may sour some folks forever.
I wasn't saying the quality of GM trucks sucks. We have a '95 Safari that we use for our business and it's a reliable workhorse. I'm just saying that the materials and quality of the Denali trims aren't worth the premium over the "plain" GMC or Chevy trucks.