Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM examples of creativity gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 10:11 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GM examples of creativity gone wrong?

Just admiring a GMC Denali pickup (as I am the farthest from a pickup kinda guy) and the detail, style and looks of this truck. Very nice...I googled the original MSRP and these bad boys went for $40k new. Now you can get a five year old one for about $10k!!! Pretty nice!

What about this SSR? Convertible pickup truck? Not another Dodge Dakota though...nice retro Chevy 50's series truck...nice dual pipes, staggered set up wheels, HID headlights, cool interior. Did it come out too late? Did all the retro buyers gobble up the PT cruisers and prowlers and left no one to buy this? I kinda like...very unique thinking by GM, but perhaps it came out too late?

My favorite truck though...the Lincoln Mark whatever. That's a Bad Boy F150
Attached Thumbnails GM examples of creativity gone wrong?-denali.jpg   GM examples of creativity gone wrong?-ssr.jpg  
Old 02-06-10, 12:59 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you like the Lincoln Mark pick-up, they depreciated like a rock, sunk faster than a guy with cement slippers. It was a disaster for Ford, I remember they sold the last ones new for 30k, listed for 50k.
Old 02-06-10, 02:09 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of the new gm models look like 4 wheeled turds to me. Dodge charger, the challenger, and almost any new chevrolet come to mind.

Its as if GM's signature look is that of something fat and retarded.
Old 02-06-10, 04:53 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

lmao at your 4 wheeled turd comment!!! ^^^^

I don't know why GM can do somethings pretty good (vette, trucks, caddy), and most are disasters. Pontiac Aztec? Last Generation (not current) Malibu? Chevy Equinox? Trailblazer? How about the Corsica, transport/lumina vans??? GEMS! And Ralph Nadar thought the corvair was bad....
Old 02-07-10, 09:20 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

scdroptop-keep doing what you're doing. I find your comments very entertaining and your research thorough. Most of us have owned other cars prior to our 430's and can relate. Personally, I find your comment about caddys being a good example a bit off mark, but then again my experience was with a 80's Seville. Such a bad car, I swore I'd never go there again and haven't. They may have improved, but I'm not willing to take the chance. After that experience I find it ironic that when people want to say that a product is great they say it is the cadillac of..... Yea right! Keep up the good work scdroptop-we're reading it all.
Old 02-07-10, 10:15 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
scdroptop-keep doing what you're doing. I find your comments very entertaining and your research thorough. Most of us have owned other cars prior to our 430's and can relate. Personally, I find your comment about caddys being a good example a bit off mark, but then again my experience was with a 80's Seville. Such a bad car, I swore I'd never go there again and haven't. They may have improved, but I'm not willing to take the chance. After that experience I find it ironic that when people want to say that a product is great they say it is the cadillac of..... Yea right! Keep up the good work scdroptop-we're reading it all.
I agree that his comments are entertaining...and that he's making valid observations about the vehicles.

However, lonfrank is right...this is the SC430 sub-forum. It's for discussion for THAT particular model of Lexus.

There's nothing wrong with discussing GM's latest creation...but that's what the "Car Chat" forum is for...general "car chat".

And, for the record, I've been a member here over 3 years and have over 1,500 posts under my belt.
Old 02-07-10, 10:27 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430guy
A lot of the new gm models look like 4 wheeled turds to me. Dodge charger, the challenger, and almost any new chevrolet come to mind.

Its as if GM's signature look is that of something fat and retarded.
Dodge is part of Chrysler
not GM
Old 02-07-10, 10:52 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I owned an 04 Sierra Denali pickup which was, IMO, a great example of the Denali potential. GMC set out to market the best half-ton, gas powered, tow machine targeted at empty nesters and the 02-04 SD was that. The truck had a 6L V8, AWD, and quadrasteer that improved handling both in the parking lot and when towing on the highway. The rear wheels steered counter to the front wheels at low speeds and in tandem with the front wheels at higher speeds. Quadrasteer was also completely reliable and sturdy. The truck had an extended cab with a good-sized 6.5' bed and a tow rating of 10K lbs. Overall MPG was about 14.5 and didn't drop below 13 when towing. The only problem with the truck was my wife's decreasing ability to get onto a step and into the cab.
Old 02-07-10, 12:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

GM sucks in my opinion. No matter what they make I would never buy one.
Old 02-07-10, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

That's exactly what a lot people say about Hyundai and Kia...and they are (now) losing out on some good deals and good vehicles.

So.....go look at a new Chevy Malibu (no, I'm not kidding), Buick Enclave/2010 LaCrosse, Cadillac CTS, or Saturn Aura (while they are still available) and see if you still feel the same way.
Old 02-07-10, 06:07 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't quite get the idea of SSR neither.
Old 02-07-10, 06:12 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
That is brand bias not exactly fair judgment.

Maybe your bitter about the bailouts, fair enough me as well. I prefer Ford Trucks, always have but they were giving GM’s away this summer so I snagged a new tow rig. How can I tell if it sucks or not, it tows my stuff really well so hey……….
Old 02-07-10, 06:25 PM
LexFather

As some of you know I was fliting with this. It has 350hp one year, then it gets the new LS2. Styling is just bland, period. Such a shame, great idea that just needed SOME STYLING.

They could have at least gave us this

Old 02-07-10, 07:55 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved the gto it was such a sleeper, it didnt look like a grand am coupe and it moved like a corvette.
Old 02-07-10, 09:05 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
I didn't quite get the idea of SSR neither.
The SSR prety much was GM's answer to Dodge's Ram SRT10. The ram pickup had a Viper motor, was too fast for it's own good, and had little to no hauling ability. Was just a superfast vehicle in pickup form. The SSR was GM's answer to this, with a twist. It came out at a time when everyone was trying to cash in on that retro styling look. They in turn transplanted the engine out of a Corvette (C5 I think) and it was, as the SRT10, too fast for it's own good. This truck, also had little viability as a truck, however it was more of a sleeper b/c not many people realized that the thing could really move. So in the SSR, you got the unusability of a truck bed, the styling of a bloated retro mobile, as well as the power of a Corvette. Sales of the SSR never really took off for GM, b/c the styling was just too far off for consumers taste, and the price tag was something that most consumers just could justify.

Quick Reply: GM examples of creativity gone wrong?