Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I feel bad for this guy, but at least he is being honest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 05:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
This is why you get an aftermarket warranty. They are not close to Lexus reliable and anyone getting into one should understand this. Though for some odd reason mine has been absolutely bulletproof-knock on wood. Perhaps because everything has been replaced once or twice already. But that motor sure does make up for a lot and when Lexus builds a decent looking powerful sedan (I'm too old for an IS-F) I will pick it up.
aftermarket warranty? you mean extended manufacturer warranty from mercedes benz right?
Old 02-07-10, 05:29 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No, aftermarket. Or if you can get a extended, sure. Chrysler has the best warranty for AMG models. Unlimited miles for 2-3 years for $2500.00 Many owners far surpassing that in repairs just the first year.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-07-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 05:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

really feel sorry for the guy, but and again that's why no matter what i would never want to buy euros, just lease
Old 02-07-10, 05:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

What? You lease your Asian cars too and I'm sure your M3 has been good to you.
Old 02-07-10, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

What? You lease your Asian cars too and I'm sure your M3 has been good to you.
my lexus, i leased with intention to buy, but the flexibility to change if i want

my m3, i leased and not even thinking about keeping it. car is ok, but went limp mode on me once already making the car like a camry
Old 02-07-10, 06:01 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
my lexus, i leased with intention to buy, but the flexibility to change if i want

my m3, i leased and not even thinking about keeping it. car is ok, but went limp mode on me once already making the car like a camry
But, which one would you rather drive to Vegas in? A GS or M3 Convertible?

Yep, them Germans still have some serious work to do with the electronics. I get a few gremlins here and there too but they never stay around nor repeat. I think it was probably more due to the low lawn mower batter that controls the accessories in the car. Weird.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-07-10 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 08:48 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a classic example of fine German engineering . I'm so glad we got rid of ours. AMGs... hand built my @$$!
Old 02-07-10, 08:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I feel for the guy. Its got to suck to spend big money on a car then to have it just take a crap all over you. Thats why I buy Japanese. I have always liked the S class but I would never buy one. A nice LS460 with a nice drop and a set of 22's would do just fine and probably not have any of the issues described here
Old 02-07-10, 09:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Keep in mind he was the 3rd owner owner of the car-read the Autocheck. Went to auction at 46k, gap from 46k to 61k with no explanation, then sold again to this guy at 61k miles which he had until 80k miles which is on it now. So he picked up a very expensive car with 61k miles on it with no warranty and expected no problems? Did he think Mercedes parts were as cheap as Honda parts which themselves are pricey? The guy got exactly what he has coming to him and I do not feel a ounce of remorse for his decision. Who knows what history the car had prior, but being a early 2003 Mercedes anything is possible. To put in perspective, my GS400 once sold needed a new throttle body within a month. $1500.00+labor for the new owner. My SC430 the DAY after I sold it the new owner claimed the top motor/ecu went out. $2500+ at the dealer! Both well maintained. If your going to play, you must pay. And if your going to buy used, your taking chances without a warranty unless you can source and repair yourself.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-07-10 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 09:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
haha those 220 bodies have SOOOO many problems.
they were horrible up to like 2004
then 05 got a bit better but that was nearing its EOL already lol
Old 02-07-10, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

But, which one would you rather drive to Vegas in? A GS or M3 Convertible?

Yep, them Germans still have some serious work to do with the electronics. I get a few gremlins here and there too but they never stay around nor repeat. I think it was probably more due to the low lawn mower batter that controls the accessories in the car. Weird.
oh no doubt, the german drives so much more fun and catches far more attention (but then again, comparing the gs to m3, that doesn't sound fair). not trying to put them down at all, just saying i wouldn't dare to buy them. lease makes so much sense especially looking at the incentives they put in
Old 02-07-10, 10:24 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why you get an aftermarket warranty. They are not close to Lexus reliable and anyone getting into one should understand this. Though for some odd reason mine has been absolutely bulletproof-knock on wood. Perhaps because everything has been replaced once or twice already. But that motor sure does make up for a lot and when Lexus builds a decent looking powerful sedan (I'm too old for an IS-F) I will pick it up.

if you want to know what was warrenty work was done on your car you can ask your dealer to give you a print out.. which I did couple years ago after I had so many problems and I want to know what was done the the car.. I just went to my garage and I found some old record. I was looking at the print out for my E55 the previous owner had 28 complains/warrenty work before I bought it not too bad for a 04 startmark CPO selling for 72900 at Mercedes of Berverly Hills!!! that car was a nighmare for me and i'm glad I sold it fast before warrenty expire, I'm sure the next owner is happy cause he is getting a brand new car for half of the price
Old 02-08-10, 12:06 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

I found out that lemons usually make it to the auction pool depending on its condition. If it isn't sold, the car is used for testing or training new mechanics.
Old 02-08-10, 10:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad story overall.
Old 02-08-10, 07:56 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I feel bad for him

Quick Reply: I feel bad for this guy, but at least he is being honest.