Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: 2011 BMW X5 goes all turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 07:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the X5 but it is too big for a single man like myself.. The new X3 with the N55 motor is a more attractive package..
Old 02-08-10, 08:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Well you guys should of upped the ante with the premium package that would give you those options. Cheaping out my man lol..
It honestly didn't cross my mind that a so called "premium" car doesn't come with a decent quality radio standard. It is probably the worst sounding radio out of any modern car.
Old 02-08-10, 08:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
It honestly didn't cross my mind that a so called "premium" car doesn't come with a decent quality radio standard. It is probably the worst sounding radio out of any modern car.
BMW gives the consumer the opportunity to create their own machine to their likiing. It is like giving a painter a blank canvas to create a work of art.

Premium pack would of given you HD radio, BMW assist, heated mirrors, electric lumbar support, digital compass, leather seats. Heated seats & heated steering wheel are individual options or can be had with the cold weather package..
Old 02-08-10, 08:32 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Blah, base price means nothing, my wifes 335 was $200 short of 50k, and it doesn't even have a decent sound system or heated/dimming mirrors.
I agree with you. Their standard sound system is junk. 2000$ premium sound system is even worse. BMW options are expensive.
Old 02-08-10, 08:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know about you guys but I love the sound of my Logic 7 especially when the I-pod is connected..
Old 02-08-10, 08:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
trust me, save that money. i have the what-so-called premium audio upgrade in my m3 and it's still a complete piece of crap. i think the upgrade was like 1800? totally garbage, not even close to what the ML system in my gs350, and that already is considered as a not-so-good ML system among lexus lineup
Old 02-08-10, 09:03 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Blah, base price means nothing, my wifes 335 was $200 short of 50k, and it doesn't even have a decent sound system or heated/dimming mirrors.
This.

Well you guys should of upped the ante with the premium package that would give you those options. Cheaping out my man lol..
Cheap out? WTF? There's nothing to lol about...If anything, BMW are the ones cheaping out! I know this isn't a problem unique to BMW (Subaru is another huge offender), but I find it ludicrous that I have to spec an expensive "premium" package from a "premium" brand just to get an auto-dimming mirror!

EVERY car that BMW, Audi, etc. make should come with an auto-dimming/Homelink rearview mirror STANDARD. Or it should be a $250 stand-alone option, but definitely not part of some "premium" package or upper trim level.

It's pathetic and insulting for such a basic feature, especially when $25K Suzukis, Chevys, and Hyundais come factory-equipped with it.

I love the X5 but it is too big for a single man like myself.. The new X3 with the N55 motor is a more attractive package..
There's nothing attractive about the X3. A '04-'05 vintage Forester turbo like mine is a better car in every regard.
Old 02-08-10, 09:07 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I love the sound of my Logic 7 especially when the I-pod is connected..
I have the logic 7 system in ML and its real good, its such a clear system I think mmarshall would agree that it rivals the mark levinson in terms of sound quality.
Old 02-08-10, 09:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW gives the consumer the opportunity to create their own machine to their likiing. It is like giving a painter a blank canvas to create a work of art.

Premium pack would of given you HD radio, BMW assist, heated mirrors, electric lumbar support, digital compass, leather seats. Heated seats & heated steering wheel are individual options or can be had with the cold weather package..
Well when we were getring the car, I had a very limited experience with BMW, so when the salesman asked me which options I wanted I said nav, leather, heated seats, hid (which are actually standard). I definitely didn't intend to cheap out on the audio system and mirrors, it just didn't cross my mind that a car like that wouldn't have standard dimming and heated mirrors and a decenrt sound system. Just fyi, it came with hd and sattelite radio, which is great, but the sound the speakers produce is god awful... And I'm the opposite of an audiophile.

So if anyone "cheaps out" it BMW. They really do nickel and dime their customers.
Old 02-08-10, 09:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
This.

Cheap out? WTF? There's nothing to lol about...If anything, BMW are the ones cheaping out! I know this isn't a problem unique to BMW (Subaru is another huge offender), but I find it ludicrous that I have to spec an expensive "premium" package from a "premium" brand just to get an auto-dimming mirror!
Some consumers want the opportunity to build a car to their liking rather than having a car configured by the manufacturer & shoved down their throat. If you are into the "we make them you take them" way of doing business then BMW is not for you.

EVERY car that BMW, Audi, etc. make should come with an auto-dimming/Homelink rearview mirror STANDARD. Or it should be a $250 stand-alone option, but definitely not part of some "premium" package or upper trim level.
See above.. Hell, I don't don't need home link. Less electrical wiring & weight.

It's pathetic and insulting for such a basic feature, especially when $25K Suzukis, Chevys, and Hyundais come factory-equipped with it.
Those are "we make them you take them" cars sold in bulk..

There's nothing attractive about the X3. A '04-'05 vintage Forester turbo like mine is a better car in every regard.
A vintage Suburu Forester....? Yes, it is a better car in every regard in your mind...

Originally Posted by bad co
I have the logic 7 system in ML and its real good, its such a clear system I think mmarshall would agree that it rivals the mark levinson in terms of sound quality.
Agreed.. The Logic 7 makes the Nak system in my GS sound like a tin pan.. The M3 guys have a differnt system in their cars.. Maybe they should do sound off with a Logic 7 equipped 335. Wattage is not everything.. Ask Onkyo, Marantz etc..
Old 02-08-10, 09:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I like the direction BMW is going.
Old 02-08-10, 09:54 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Some consumers want the opportunity to build a car to their liking rather than having a car configured by the manufacturer & shoved down their throat. If you are into the "we make them you take them" way of doing business then BMW is not for you.

See above.. Hell, I don't don't need home link. Less electrical wiring & weight.

Those are "we make them you take them" cars sold in bulk..

A vintage Suburu Forester....? Yes, it is a better car in every regard in your mind...

Agreed.. The Logic 7 makes the Nak system in my GS sound like a tin pan.. The M3 guys have a differnt system in their cars.. Maybe they should do sound off with a Logic 7 equipped 335. Wattage is not everything.. Ask Onkyo, Marantz etc..
Ironically hypocritical! I FAVOR the ability to choose my own options. However, unlike in Europe, BMW and other manufacturers "bundle" these features into packages for the US instead of true stand-alone options. This is PRECISELY having things shoved down my throat that I don't want, and very much fits into the "we make them you take them" mentality.

Electrical wiring and weight for Homelink... Do some research before you make yourself sound so ignorant. This adds SO much weight and complexity: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/aumiwiho.html

Then again, it IS a BMW afterall, so the less electrical things in it, the better. I'm sure BMW could figure out a way induce fuel pump failure simply by fitting an auto-dimming Homelink mirror as standard.

Please, bring your X3. I make a public offer for all CL to see. I will comp your gas for you to drive here to visit me in SC. We'll go out to one of the islands here near Charleston, perhaps Kiawah (it's very nice and there are plenty of BMW owners), where I will proceed to destroy you on road and off it. Wouldn't be the first time my lowly Subaru has schooled an overly-cocky BMW owner.

(Free reading comprehension lesson: "Vintage" was used as a figure of speech, referring to a certain model year. Specifically the one I own, which had a 4.44 rear end that allowed it to launch in first gear exactly as fast as a Ferrari F430...see Car and Driver stats).

No one likes the X3. It's ugly, expensive, and generally crappy. As Top Gear summarized so nicely: "It can’t go off-road and can barely cope on it. What’s the X3 for again?" They also dumped more praise upon it, calling it an X5 "lite" that "fails" and "assaults the eyes with its ugliness and the spine with its ride", not to mention a lack of quality and attention to detail. Seriously, who BUYS these things? I am in NO way questioning your taste or judgment, but I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road, and I can't imagine their overall sales numbers are any good.

Last edited by SecPole14; 02-08-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 10:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Ironically hypocritical! I FAVOR the ability to choose my own options. However, unlike in Europe, BMW and other manufacturers "bundle" these features into packages for the US instead of true stand-alone options. This is PRECISELY having things shoved down my throat that I don't want, and very much fits into the "we make them you take them" mentality.
Wrong.. I can tell that you have never configured a BMW. There are many stand alone options. Hell, I opted for the stand-alone heated seats & heated steering wheel on my 335 instead of going with the cold weather pack which would of added a ski bag. I don't ski so did not feel the need to get that in my car.. Go on bmwusa.com & have some more fun on the net.

Electrical wiring and weight for Homelink... Do some research before you make yourself sound so ignorant. This adds SO much weight and complexity: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/aumiwiho.html

Then again, it IS a BMW afterall, so the less electrical things in it, the better. I'm sure BMW could figure out a way induce fuel pump failure simply by fitting an auto-dimming Homelink mirror as standard.
You're a young man I can tell.. I will leave it at that..

Please, buy an X3. I make a public offer for all CL to see. I will comp your gas for you to drive here to visit me in SC. We'll go out to one of the islands here near Charleston, perhaps Kiawah, where I will proceed to destroy you on road and off it. Wouldn't be the first time my lowly Subaru has schooled an overly-cocky BMW owner.
ok...

(Free reading comprehension lesson: "Vintage" was used as a figure of speech, referring to a certain model year. Specifically the one I own, which had a 4.44 rear end that allowed it to launch in first gear exactly as fast as a Ferrari F430...see Car and Driver stats).
Alright..

No one likes the X3. It's ugly, expensive, and generally crappy. As Top Gear summarized so nicely: "It can’t go off-road and can barely cope on it. What’s the X3 for again?"
Yes..
Old 02-08-10, 10:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Thumbs down

well, my first X5 //M sighting was just a poser
dual exhaust, some aero package?, with badge in this order: //M X5

I knew the //M's have quad exhausts, so this guy was waiting for tip quad tips to come in

looked nothing like this at all
Old 02-08-10, 10:42 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

haha That's so sad. The X5 has always been a nice product, it's the only SUV-thingy BMW should have in their lineup.

Quick Reply: Officially Official: 2011 BMW X5 goes all turbo