Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's Lost Its Quality Edge? Not So Fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 08:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The sudden acceleration locking issue.
The NHTSA found no clear evidence of an issue with the pedals, and neither did Toyota supplier CTS. There may not even be a clear problem with the pedals, but Toyota could be replacing the pedals simply as a precaution. Toyota has done this in the past, undertaking recalls for precautionary measures.

You may be right that it is contestable, however with no clear evidence it is hard to prove either way.

The pedal design for all new Toyotas has been changed, and existing Toyotas with pedals will be modified to prevent this from being an issue.

Regardless, this speculation will be a non-issue by the end of this year when virtually all Toyota models will have a brake override system installed, forcing the brakes to override the engine power under any circumstances, including sudden acceleration.
Old 02-08-10, 08:28 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the current media flap on the recall is massively overblown of course, and toyota still has excellent quality from a 'lack of defects' perspective, but that's not the real problem. the real problem is that toyota's product line in the u.s. is boring, bland, and looks cheap compared to its competitors. it may be bolted and glued together well, but that's not the biggest problem.
agreed, Toyota still has problems they need to work out.
Old 02-08-10, 10:08 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Looks like this guy wants to make sure his upcoming book sells.
Old 02-08-10, 10:48 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the current media flap on the recall is massively overblown of course, and toyota still has excellent quality from a 'lack of defects' perspective, but that's not the real problem. the real problem is that toyota's product line in the u.s. is boring, bland, and looks cheap compared to its competitors. it may be bolted and glued together well, but that's not the biggest problem.
We have a winner! It's been more than a DECADE since Toyota has had something truly worth getting excited about in the US. It's almost too much for me to believe sometimes. The fact that I got excited when I learned the 2010 Camry SE would receive a 6-speed manual (upgraded from 5-speed!!) illustrates just how bad it is.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Looks like you just want to keep taking shots at Toyota whenever you get the chance, whether it's a legit opportunity or not.
Old 02-08-10, 11:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
exit the thread. you are not contributing anything here except taking cheap shots
Old 02-08-10, 12:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The sudden acceleration locking issue.
not sure what does that have to do with brakes... you do know that GM, Ford, Hyundai do not have smart pedals on their cars either (very few)? And are only starting to add them after this happened, just like Toyota.
Old 02-08-10, 01:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
not sure what does that have to do with brakes...
According to Toyota, the sudden acceleration issue has two causes: the floor mat on the brake pedal, and the brake pedal itself locking in place.

According to Toyota, the issue has everything to do with the brake pedal.

If not, then other engineering issues need to be fixed, and millions/billions of dollars will have to be spent fixing the 6+ million cars affected...
Old 02-08-10, 02:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

According to Toyota, the sudden acceleration issue has two causes: the floor mat on the brake pedal, and the brake pedal itself locking in place.

According to Toyota, the issue has everything to do with the brake pedal.

If not, then other engineering issues need to be fixed, and millions/billions of dollars will have to be spent fixing the 6+ million cars affected...
you mean gas pedal right?

it is quite funny that you didnt even realize it is gas pedal, not brake pedal ;-). I thought your were talking about smart pedal - ignoring of gas pedal when brake pedal was pressed.
Old 02-08-10, 02:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by spwolf
you mean gas pedal right?

it is quite funny that you didnt even realize it is gas pedal, not brake pedal ;-). I thought your were talking about smart pedal - ignoring of gas pedal when brake pedal was pressed.
Oh my God!

I'm sooo out of it.

Everything I meant to say had to do with accelerator pedals.

I ****ed up this thread...
Old 02-08-10, 02:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, we will survive and so will Toyota.
Old 02-08-10, 02:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Oh my God!

I'm sooo out of it.

Everything I meant to say had to do with accelerator pedals.

I ****ed up this thread...
;-).

apperantly they ****ed it up, but they are making sure it does not happen again with smart pedal being installed on all vehicles by the end of 2010.

I wonder if anything will happen with Ford, as Ford does not have smart pedals either and also has a lot of acceleration complaints (according to CR survey)... too bad nobody is going "tough" on all of the automotive industry, not just toyota.
Old 02-08-10, 05:29 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still trust a recalled Toyota over a perfect GM or Mopar any day of the week. Toyota's issues are just teething pains. Over at Detroit, it's a way of life amid unions and bean counters.
Old 02-08-10, 08:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Teething pains...

Originally Posted by nthach
... Toyota's issues are just teething pains. Over at Detroit, it's a way of life amid unions and bean counters.
Teething pains? Are you kidding me, Toyota is not some up and coming Chinese import infant, they've been making cars for over 4 decades for crying out loud.

Yeah, we're all giving Toyota the benefit of the doubt because this is a Lexus forum afterall, but let's be honest here. Toyota has been slipping while Hyundai has been rising. If we still hide in the closet and stay in the dark to these facts, then soon it will be too late to do anything.

Toyota has to go back to it's core roots and build better quality vehicles, that are valuable. Don't just offer better interiors on top-of-the-line trims, offer the across the board.

Toyota's goals were good, to reach #1, but then they slipped getting there, slipped again while on the podium, and now have dropped their pants.

Yeah, these articles are nice and all that, makes the Toyota fan feel nice, warm, and fuzzy, but what are low defect rates going to mean for me when the interior plastic panels feel... well... PLASTIC ! I remember when Toyota (and Honda) interiors were all firm to the touch padded plastics, and panels had a quality look to them. Now, all hard textured plastics, with plastic painted silver panels here and there with no rhyme or reason.

WAKE UP !!!! You can't rest on your laurels forever !!!!
Old 02-08-10, 09:06 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja

Toyota's goals were good, to reach #1, but then they slipped getting there, slipped again while on the podium, and now have dropped their pants.
That's what I meant by teething pains - their quest to throw GM off the throne. However, their plans on cost-cutting backfired horribly.

I still view Hyundai as a 2nd tier brand, don't get me wrong they've improved a bit over the few years. They're still cheap and flimsy but well-executed. Hopefully Toyota gets back to their former selves.
Old 02-08-10, 09:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Regardless, this speculation will be a non-issue by the end of this year when virtually all Toyota models will have a brake override system installed, forcing the brakes to override the engine power under any circumstances, including sudden acceleration.
so we say goodbye to torque braking and heel-toe manoevers?

Quick Reply: Toyota's Lost Its Quality Edge? Not So Fast