Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should you have to learn English to get a license here?
Si!
80.49%
No
14.63%
Who needs a license?
0%
I speak in Goat
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Want a driver's license? - you might have to learn English

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Post Want a driver's license? - you might have to learn English

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../020510-04.htm

* Home
* Search
* About Us
* Contact

February 5, 2010
Print
Save
Size: +/–
Missouri, other states pursue English-only driver testing requirement

Aspiring truck drivers in Missouri already are required to prove they have a firm grasp of the English language to obtain a license to get behind the wheel of a big rig. An effort in the state’s House would apply the same rule for all other drivers who want to be licensed in the state.

At least nine states now limit licensing tests to English only. The Show-Me State is one of at least eight states to have taken on the task of looking to ensure that aspiring drivers have a firm grasp of the English language before they obtain their licenses.

The Missouri bill would require both portions of the driver’s examinations – written test and skill test – to be administered only in English.

Applicants’ ability to understand traffic signs and signals written in English also would be required. They would be prohibited from using translators while taking the tests.

Supporters say they are concerned that people are allowed to drive on Missouri roads without a command of the English language.

Opponents say there are no studies that suggest English proficiency makes better drivers.

Advocates for the English standard say it’s a matter of safety.

The bill – HB1231 – is awaiting consideration in the House International Trade and Immigration Committee.

Georgia
A bill would make English the only language for a driver’s license exam. Georgia’s license exam consists of two written knowledge exams, a road rules test and a road sign test, and a driving test. The road rules test is available in 11 foreign languages.

The Georgia Senate and House approved the bill a year ago, but they weren’t able to agree on wording in the legislation before the session wrapped up. Lawmakers can continue their discussion on SB67 during the 2010 session.

Idaho
The state driver’s license exam is offered in eight languages. A Senate bill would restrict all written tests to English.

S1303 also would prohibit the use of translators to help with tests. The bill is in the Senate State Affairs Committee.

Minnesota
The pursuit of English-only license testing is also underway in the Minnesota statehouse. HF585/SF577 would require prospective drivers to complete the written exams in English, without the assistance of interpreters.

The bills are in committee.

New York
A bill in the Assembly Transportation Committee would require that all examinations for licenses be conducted in English. A5349 would prohibit interpreters from providing assistance.

South Carolina
Multiple efforts would require all state agencies and local governments to “offer all services, publications, printed, audio, and video materials, and test in an English-only format” unless directed otherwise by federal law or regulation. The requirement would apply to people applying for commercial driver’s licenses.

Senate Pro Tem Glenn McConnell, R-Charleston, is calling for changes in South Carolina because the Department of Motor Vehicles offers driving tests in German, French and Spanish despite the fact that regulations on CDLs require applicants to be able to understand and to speak the English language.

McConnell’s bill – S3 – and a similar House bill – H3771 – are in committee.

South Dakota
Driver’s license tests are offered solely in English, but interpreters are permitted to assist test takers. The Senate Transportation Committee has advanced a bill that would forbid the use of interpreters. SB72 specifies that a person applying for a driver license prove “the ability to read and understand simple English” as used on traffic signs.

The bill is awaiting consideration on the Senate floor.

Tennessee
Legislation in the House and Senate would require English-only driver’s licensing. HB2940/SB2660 would mandate that all written driver’s exams to be offered solely in English. The bills are in committee.

Tennessee now permits exams to be conducted in English, Japanese, Korean and Spanish.

– By Keith Goble, state legislative editor

Editor’s Note: Please share your thoughts with us about the legislation included in this story. Comments may be sent to statelegislativedesk@ooida.com.

Old 02-08-10, 12:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the United States is becoming increasingly multilingual, but road signs are in english. And many are pretty important. Such as "stop". Or "Do Not Enter"
Old 02-08-10, 12:44 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

We have pictures for most signs up here, but when someone who "doesn't speak English" gets pulled over they almost always get off because they somehow indicate they have NO IDEA what the sign meant (or that they can't communicate with the officerwho pulled them over) ... drives me NUTS!

Therefore yes, I think you should need to prove you understand a certain amount of the language in order to have a DL in NA.
Old 02-08-10, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

not sure that will pass that easily... i see the sense, but it is melting pot you know ;-).
Old 02-08-10, 02:56 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

English is the language spoken in the US, if you don't want to learn English , don't drive !!
Old 02-08-10, 03:28 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
We have pictures for most signs up here, but when someone who "doesn't speak English" gets pulled over they almost always get off because they somehow indicate they have NO IDEA what the sign meant (or that they can't communicate with the officerwho pulled them over) ... drives me NUTS!

Therefore yes, I think you should need to prove you understand a certain amount of the language in order to have a DL in NA.
How were they even allowed to get a license then if they don't know what the sign meant? That sounds like even more reason to revoke their license and put them into classes again until they are ready to follow the "RULES OF THE ROAD"
Old 02-08-10, 05:12 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jewcano
How were they even allowed to get a license then if they don't know what the sign meant? That sounds like even more reason to revoke their license and put them into classes again until they are ready to follow the "RULES OF THE ROAD"
I agree, english or no license in this country.

BTW, they need the "RULES OF THE ROAD", and a lesson on road etiquette. For example not driving 55 in the fast lane with a string of cars behind them.
Old 02-08-10, 05:19 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Driving is privileged and not a right the last I checked so if you can't read and comprehend the signs and laws, please, please stay off the road.
Old 02-08-10, 07:36 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Yup you should have to be able to speak and read english to get your license. You should also have common sense but I dont think they will ever pass a bill for that.
Old 02-09-10, 12:52 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
because in BC, you can take your "written" exam in pretty much any language.

i think driving exams should be only english to do your test.
Old 02-09-10, 06:21 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It's one thing to say "Road signs can be memorized"..."They have pictures on them as well"..."You can learn the shape/color of each sign".

But, what about the flashing/scrolling signs that say things like "Warning, sudden slow-down of traffic ahead...in 2 miles"?