Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Life after the Toyota 3.5 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 01:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life after the Toyota 3.5 engine?

I am just curious as to know if anyone knows what is going on a Toyota with the 3.5 and what is going after it ends if life cycle. This is not a knock of the 3.5 as it might very well be one of the best Toyota engines ever made. I have had some experience with it and it is outstanding

Anyone know what is next after the 3.5?
Old 02-08-10, 02:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i doubt GR is going anywhere, anytime soon ;-).

Engine is rock solid, what will happen is probably that technology from high end lexus vehicles will trickle back to rest of the range, and at the same time, IS/GS/LS are probably going to get some updated version of the direct injection and maybe even Valvetronic...

I doubt that actual engine design will change in next 5-6 years at least...
Old 02-08-10, 02:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the engine got a good decade of life in front of it. Much like the original 1UZ engine evolved into the 3UZ, the same will happen with GR. Toyota will improve, fine tune and perfect it in years to come.
Old 02-08-10, 02:15 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt GR is going anywhere, anytime soon ;-).

Engine is rock solid, what will happen is probably that technology from high end lexus vehicles will trickle back to rest of the range, and at the same time, IS/GS/LS are probably going to get some updated version of the direct injection and maybe even Valvetronic.....
So you think no chance of getting larger like the 3.7 Nissan or 3.8 Hyundai.

I doubt that actual engine design will change in next 5-6 years at least.
I don't think the current 3.5 power ratings in the Camry etc can live another 5-6 years. By then, the engine will be 10-11 years old. I can see it getting bigger while staying very much the similar to the current design
Old 02-08-10, 02:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The 3.5L spec may not be here for a long time, but the GR-platform will be here for a while. Everyone company updates their engine to provide more power. I don't think anyone will ever keep their engines to the same spec for more than 6-7 years, although some engines did. Updating an engine is much better than redesigning it. Once you reach the limitation of the platform, then you move onto something else.

Honda's J-series started out as a 2.7L and eventually grew throughout the years. it's now at a 3.7L. The same can be said for Infiniti's VQ-series.
Old 02-08-10, 02:19 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I think the engine got a good decade of life in front of it. Much like the original 1UZ engine evolved into the 3UZ, the same will happen with GR. Toyota will improve, fine tune and perfect it in years to come.
Toyota also spun the 1UZ into the 2UZ which lasted 11 years from 98-09
Old 02-08-10, 02:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
So you think no chance of getting larger like the 3.7 Nissan or 3.8 Hyundai.

I don't think the current 3.5 power ratings in the Camry etc can live another 5-6 years. By then, the engine will be 10-11 years old. I can see it getting bigger while staying very much the similar to the current design
i dont think it needs to get bigger to get more power - 306hp in Lexus cars is made from same block...

... they might enlarge it but they will probably just improve it with updated direct injection (more pressure) and Valvetronic...

As Toyota, I dont see Camry v6 being slower than competition anytime soon. Hyundai is not even planing V6 for many of its new models for instance.
Old 02-08-10, 02:26 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
... they might enlarge it but they will probably just improve it with updated direct injection (more pressure) and Valvetronic...
Personally I don't think Toyota will put Direct Injection in their Toyota cars. I think that will always be reserved for Lexus.

As Toyota, I dont see Camry v6 being slower than competition anytime soon. Hyundai is not even planing V6 for many of its new models for instance.
But I can't see a 2015 Camry making 268 hp. But then again, the majority of the Camry's are 4 bangers.
Old 02-08-10, 02:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Toyota also spun the 1UZ into the 2UZ which lasted 11 years from 98-09
Well, 2UZ was substantially different, and cheaper than 1UZ, if I may. It was an iron block vs aluminum block, I believe it never got VVTi, and stayed pretty much unchanged through its entire life span. The 1UZ has changed a lot, for instance if you take the LS400, 90-94 had the original 1UZ, 95-97 had much improved, more powerful version of 1UZ, in 98-00 they added VVTi, and 01+ it became 3UZ. And while the 3UZ may not have been radically more powerful than 1UZ, the amount of fine tuning, perfection and improvements that it received is incredible.
Old 02-08-10, 02:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Well, 2UZ was substantially different, and cheaper than 1UZ, if I may. It was an iron block vs aluminum block, I believe it never got VVTi, and stayed pretty much unchanged through its entire life span. .
It did get VVTi in 2005. It also changed up some of its parts. The 2UZ in 2005+ models used a plastic intake instead of alluminum and there were a few internal parts changes.

The 1UZ has changed a lot, for instance if you take the LS400, 90-94 had the original 1UZ, 95-97 had much improved, more powerful version of 1UZ, in 98-00 they added VVTi, and 01+ it became 3UZ. And while the 3UZ may not have been radically more powerful than 1UZ, the amount of fine tuning, perfection and improvements that it received is incredible.
You really can only compare the 1UZ and 2UZ. Both got hp bumps, both received VVTi....

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-08-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 02:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

You really can only compare the 1UZ and 2UZ. Both got hp bumps, both received VVTi....
That makes no sense. VVT-i or not, the 2UZ-FE was strictly a truck application V8. Related block architecture but built for a different purpose, the 4.7 2UZ was designed for more low end torque whereas the 4.0 1UZ and 4.3 3UZ were designed for more for mid to high range power and efficiency in a car application.
Old 02-08-10, 02:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

It did get VVTi in 2005. It also changed up some of its parts. The 2UZ in 2005+ models used a plastic intake instead of alluminum and there were a few internal parts changes.
Good to know.

Disagree. The 3UZ was a direct result of years of perfecting the 1UZ - they are so similar, yet so different. The 2GR for instance is whole new, completely redesigned motor.
Old 02-08-10, 02:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

heck Honda is still using the J series engine since the early 90s?
Old 02-08-10, 02:51 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great engine.
Good power and MPG's.
I can't see it going away soon.
I do have some cold weather engine piston slap in my RX but gone when engine warms up.
Old 02-08-10, 02:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
heck Honda is still using the J series engine since the early 90s?
Ever since 1996 in their Honda accord model.

Although I'm a fan of new technologies, old platforms can still be good. Nissan showed us the VQ engine since 1994 or so. It ranged from 2.0L to 4.0L and has practically been on ward's top 10 engines list ever since.

Quick Reply: Life after the Toyota 3.5 engine?