Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Hyundai better than Toyota and Honda? New models suggest yes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 12:43 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Is it a coincidence that in some ways the Genesis Coupe looks like a 7th gen Celica?
Oh yeah right....right now Toyota offers a Celica with a turbo charged 4, 300hp 6 and is RWD....

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-09-10 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 12:51 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Like SICK said, the FT-86 is a spiritual successor to the AE-86, released over 20 years ago. If anything, Hyundai copied the AE-86 by offering a cheap, fun, RWD coupe.
Don't give me this spiritual nonsense.

From Hyundai themselves, "Hyundai USA acting President and CEO John Krafcik has described the Genesis Coupe as being designed "...to deliver a driving experience that challenges cars like Infiniti G37."
Old 02-09-10, 12:56 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not just talking styling, I also talking about trends and the auto market. Hyundai's don't always look like Toyotas. The new Sonata looks like a an ES while the inside looks like a Infiniti....

Hyundai has a IRS on their mid size body on frame vehicle before Toyota (excluding Sequoia which followed Ford), a v8 in their cars (no Toyota car has this), Hyundai followed the market ahead of Toyota by offering an iDrive like controller on their flagship, Hyundai will even a have turbo in their mid size sedan before Toyota.

As for the Genesis couple, Hyundai followed the other car companies in getting a RWD 2 door coupe into production....Toyota is following behind on this...Toyota's past is its past, right now they don't have a 2 door RWD coupe now do they?
You need to check your facts.

Toyota offers V8s (and a V12) in cars in Japan, Lexus cars obviously have V8 engines here.

Right now Hyundai doesn't have A LOT of things that Toyota has, what exactly is your point?

I see that you admit Hyundai followed in getting an I-Drive controller to market. They didn't follow "the market", they followed and copied the competition.

Toyota didn't need to, as they have their unique and innovative Remote Touch system. Toyota didn't have to copy or follow anyone, they brought out their OWN system.

Mazda has had a turbo in their midsize sedan before Hyundai, what is your point? There is a reason most companies don't have turbos in their midsize family sedans, because that is the wrong market segment for a turbo engine. Mazda has not had much success with it's Mazdaspeed 6 turbo, and I don't see Hyundai having success with their turbo Sonata.

Oh yeah right....right now Toyota offers a Celica with a turbo charged 4, 300hp 6 and is RWD....
I was clearly talking about styling, not specifications.

Don't give me this spiritual nonsense.

From Hyundai themselves, "Hyundai USA acting President and CEO John Krafcik has described the Genesis Coupe as being designed "...to deliver a driving experience that challenges cars like Infiniti G37."
The facts are what they are, if you don't want to believe the facts about the FT-86 in relation to the AE-86, that is your choice.
Old 02-09-10, 01:04 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

You need to check your facts.

Toyota offers V8s (and a V12) in cars in Japan, Lexus cars obviously have V8 engines here. .
We're talking about North America here and you know we are.

I am sure Toyota has one of these somewhere, maybe even in US somewhere.

Toyota didn't need to, as they have their unique and innovative Remote Touch system. Toyota didn't have to copy or follow anyone, they brought out their OWN system.
I give kudos to Toyota for doing it differently, but the fact is that the Remote Touch follows in the footsteps of the iDrive from BMW. If I am correct, Hyundai did get their remote control to market before Toyota...

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-09-10 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 01:17 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I give kudos to Toyota for doing it differently, but the fact is that the Remote Touch follows in the footsteps of the iDrive from BMW. If I am correct, Hyundai did get their remote control to market before Toyota...
That's not a fact, it is simply your opinion. Remote Touch is not a ****, or a rotary controller. It is a mouse-like device that gives you sensory and auditory feedback.
Old 02-09-10, 02:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

JDM Toyota Crown:

Hyundai Equus:

Old 02-09-10, 03:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Buick Lacrosse:

Hyundai Equus:

Old 02-09-10, 04:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All I can say is before just purchasing our RX half way through the lease,the wife test drove about 6 vehicles.
One being a '10 loaded $31500 Santa Fe.It was a POS.Highway road and wind noise was very loud and the ride was very bumpy.
Maybe the cars are different but wasn't impressed with the so called new found 'quality' of Hyundai in the Santa Fe.
Old 02-09-10, 04:44 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
All I can say is before just purchasing our RX half way through the lease,the wife test drove about 6 vehicles.
One being a '10 loaded $31500 Santa Fe.It was a POS.Highway road and wind noise was very loud and the ride was very bumpy.
Maybe the cars are different but wasn't impressed with the so called new found 'quality' of Hyundai in the Santa Fe.
Why would you cross shop an RX with a Santa Fe? The Veracruz is what you should have been test driving. You would have been pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-09-10, 04:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Why would you cross shop an RX with a Santa Fe? The Veracruz is what you should have been test driving. You would have been pleasantly surprised.
The Veracruz is still not as refined as an RX. You get what you pay for. The Veracruz is a Toyota Highlander competitor, and sales-wise the Veracruz is a big failure.
Old 02-09-10, 05:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet

I shopped the vehicles the wife liked.
She did some internet picture research and vehicles she saw on the road and decided the CR-V,Murano,Mazda CX-7 turbo,RAV4 Sport V6,Santa Fe and Ford Edge were the choices.She did look at other crossover/SUVs at the dealers too.Unlike me,she's not a luxury vehicle person.She goes by the look and size of the vehicle.
Her favorite vehicle was the CR-V EX-L.Very nice vehicle but the four cyl performance was too slow....for me,anyway.
After test driving those vehicles and not being blown away by any(except the CR-V she liked a lot)and the cost being up to $6K more than our 20K mile '09 RX residual of $27K and trade in number of $1200 over,we decided to buy the RX.I'm very happy with that decision.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-09-10 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 06:41 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I shopped the vehicles the wife liked.
She did some internet picture research and vehicles she saw on the road and decided the CR-V,Murano,Mazda CX-7 turbo,RAV4 Sport V6,Santa Fe and Ford Edge were the choices.She did look at other crossover/SUVs at the dealers too.Unlike me,she's not a luxury vehicle person.She goes by the look and size of the vehicle.
Her favorite vehicle was the CR-V EX-L.Very nice vehicle but the four cyl performance was too slow....for me,anyway.
After test driving those vehicles and not being blown away by any(except the CR-V she liked a lot)and the cost being up to $6K more than our 20K mile '09 RX residual of $27K and trade in number of $1200 over,we decided to buy the RX.I'm very happy with that decision.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-09-10, 06:43 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

The Veracruz is still not as refined as an RX. You get what you pay for. The Veracruz is a Toyota Highlander competitor, and sales-wise the Veracruz is a big failure.
I see you've never driven a Hyundai Veracruz.
Old 02-09-10, 08:47 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

again, it's not the current gen.

hyundai is bringing out better products in their new generation. my santa fe competes with rav4 price wise. my SE 3.3 v6 was actually cheaper than comparable Rav4. size wise it's slightly bigger than Rav4.

and Santa Fe is not RX. it's not even close. but for about 22-27k, it's one of the better SUV out there.
Old 02-09-10, 08:52 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

when hyundai introduced new cars in 06, 07 or even 08, it was competitive against competition, but it wasn't better. it lacked style too.

but just look at the recent trend. new sportage, new sonata, genesis coupe, Soul, Forte Koup and etc. Hyundai is bringing out cars that are attractive. it's no longer appliance like if you ask me. hyundai/kia is making a strong design statement and they are making quality cars. what more do you want from a car company?

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai better than Toyota and Honda? New models suggest yes