Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What impact does Toyota QC problems have on Lexus buying decision?
A lot - holding off purchasing
9.20%
Significant factor in my decision - may impact my decision
5.75%
Enough to think about - may or may not impact purchase decision
4.60%
Not much - unlikely to have much impact
20.69%
None - no impact at all
57.47%
Toyota has QC problems?
2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Do the Toyota QC issues impact your Lexus buying decision?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 01:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX
I have to admit, the fact they knew of this concern and fixed all those made after January and did not tell us there was a fix is really unsettling.
They knew of the concern from the reported problems, they tested and replicated the issue and made a production change as necessary. They are just now making the change starting from January...which is in reality was only about 2 weeks ago. They have a fix now and letters have been sent out just recently.

Just curious, but did you know about the brake issue prior to the recall? If you did experience these issues prior to the recall, did you make any effort to notify your local Toyota service dept about your experience?

More info on the Prius recall can be found here: http://www.toyota.com/recall/abs.html
Old 02-10-10, 02:14 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a a first-year '98 Dodge Durango that had a recall for the gas tank. They tended to fall off the car and explode. The '98 also had a recall for bad brake master cylinders and leaking brake lines, which could cause the brakes to not work at all.

I didn't see the media blitz all over Dodge for that.

Cars are incredibly complex machines. It's amazing that they work as well and as long as they do. I can not fault a company for some design flaws. Every single car has them.

Toyota still makes a better car than just about anyone else.
Old 02-10-10, 05:45 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer the pp about whether I knew about the brake issue prior to the recall, I experienced it the weekend I drove the car several months ago. That's the only time I ever drove the car. I told my husband I thought there was something very wrong with the brakes. He said, no that's just how abs brakes work (or something) - he was not concerned and said it happens all the time. On retrospect I should have called and made a complaint but thought: a) Toyota is such a great company if there was a problem they'd let us know and fix; b) it's not my car and if he's not concerned then I shouldn't be; and c) maybe I was mistaken? I can tell you that if it was my everyday car I would have made a complaint and I would not like to drive a car that brakes like that.

I wonder if they would have bothered to recall the Prius had there not been all the other problems. Regardless, I hope the recall actually fixes it and this blows over. I'm still a believer and if anything, all this will make Toyota even more responsive (hopefully).
Old 02-11-10, 06:37 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-11-10, 02:28 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

Default Toyota Recalls Put into Context by Edmunds.com

Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jeannine Fallon/Chintan Talati
Edmunds.com Corporate Communications
www.Edmunds.com
Media Hotline: 310-309-4900
pr@edmunds.com

Toyota Recalls Put into Context by Edmunds.com

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — February 10, 2010 — Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, has obtained and reviewed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) complaint database. A key finding: despite being the subject of intense scrutiny of the company, Toyota ranks 17th among automakers in the overall number of complaints per vehicle sold.

According to the database, which consists of complaints filed by individuals and is not checked for accuracy by NHTSA, Toyota was the subject of 9.1 percent of the complaints from 2001 through 2010 (through February 3). During this period, the company sold 13.5 percent of all new cars in the United States.

Land Rover ranks first among automakers, with 0.6 percent of the complaints compared to only 0.1 percent market share from 2001 through 2010 (through February 3).

The following chart sets forth the results for all automakers:

AUTOMAKER RANK (IN ORDER OF MOST
COMPLAINTS PER MARKET SHARE) PERCENT OF COMPLAINTS
IN NHTSA DATABASE PERCENT OF SALES IN
US MARKET
LAND ROVER 1 0.6% 0.1%
AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORP. 2 0.9% 0.4%
ISUZU MANUFACTURING SERVICES OF AMERICA 3 0.3% 0.2%
VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC 4 4.1% 2.4%
JAGUAR CARS LTD 5 0.4% 0.2%
VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. 6 1.1% 0.7%
CHRYSLER LLC 7 16.3% 13.0%
MAZDA NORTH AMERICAN OPERATIONS 8 1.7% 1.5%
MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC. 9 1.3% 1.2%
FORD MOTOR COMPANY 10 18.3% 17.6%
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 11 25.3% 24.5%
NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. 12 5.8% 5.9%
HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY 13 4.2% 4.4%
BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC 14 1.7% 1.9%
SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. 15 1.1% 1.3%
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO. 16 6.8% 9.4%
TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION 17 9.1% 13.5%
MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC. 18 1.0% 1.5%
PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC. 19 0.1% 0.2%
SMART USA DISTRIBUTOR LLC 20 0.0% 0.0%

Edmunds.com analysts also attempted to evaluate the deaths and injuries reported in the NHTSA database, but it quickly became clear that the data is unreliable. For example, one complaint indicated that 99 people had died in one vehicle as a result of an accident. It should also be noted roughly 10 percent of total complaints appear to be duplicates. Finally, this analysis did not rate the reported incidents for severity.

"No one should overlook the issues raised by the Toyota recalls, but it is important to keep things in perspective," reminded Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl. "A broader view shows that consumer complaints reflect an industry issue, not just a Toyota issue. As Toyota's experience in recent months clearly demonstrates, it is no longer an option for car companies to dismiss consumer complaints, even if the event is difficult to replicate or diagnose."

"Edmunds' CarSpace.com Forums have been a venue for driver feedback since 1996," noted Sylvia Marino, Executive Director of Community Operations for Edmunds.com. "Automakers can easily review postings to uncover issues and discuss them with the consumers who have experienced them."

Edmunds.com has created a free resource to keep consumers informed about the 2010 Toyota recall at http://www.edmunds.com/industry-car-...ta-recall.html.

About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/index.html)
Edmunds.com, Inc. publishes four Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers and enthusiasts. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value® , is relied upon by millions of people seeking current transaction prices for new and used vehicles. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com Study(SM), was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal and was rated "#1" in Keynote's study of third-party automotive Web sites. Inside Line launched in January 2005 and is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. CarSpace launched in February 2006 and is an automotive social networking Web site and home to the oldest and most established automotive community. AutoObserver.com launched in 2007 and provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.
Old 02-11-10, 02:36 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

For Toyota, it seems that the media just make it worst. They somehow seems to be sending a message like Toyota know about the issues long ago and tried to hide it.

Honda just have a recall about air bag in some of their cars that could killed a person when it pops out, anyone heard about that?
Old 02-12-10, 05:39 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No impact, other than expecting better deals short term because of the hype.
This is my exact attitude. If anything, its the best time to buy...
Old 02-18-10, 09:20 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not just no, but hell no. The feeding frenzy by the media, NHTSA, and other car companies just makes me all the more willing to support TMC. If I didn't already have the TMC vehicles that I want to own at this time I'd be looking for a bargain out of all this if prices dip some.
Old 02-19-10, 10:28 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

The recalls certainly would not deter me from purchasing another Toyota/Lexus product, especially noting the good service that I and my family have had with them over the years.
Old 02-19-10, 10:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Toyota is a very smart company which values it's products and of course it's customers. It doesn't change my perception of the company despite the latest news. All companies go through growing pains, this is just another chapter in Toyota history.
+1. So long as it is a Toyota I'll be pleased.
Old 02-20-10, 12:30 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TBH, I don't expect an error free Lexus at all, I only care what and how Lexus does if problem or my complain happened. With my past ten years experiences, I think Lexus had definitely won my trust.
Old 03-07-10, 04:47 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't buy Toyota what else can you buy? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPWTXKLVY1s
Old 03-07-10, 06:21 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The current issues, although tragic, is not going to change my opinion of Toyota as the best car out there.

It took decades of experience for me to form my opinion and it certainly is not going to change because of a largely isolated series of events.