Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Experience with Police in Berkeley, California

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 11:09 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experience with Police in Berkeley, California

I overtook a very slow car on a two-lane (one per direction) street in Berkeley on Friday evening. The lines were dotted and I did my best to make it a smooth and safe move since overtaking with the opposing lane is not too common in urban California. Slow drivers are common in the college town because of competitive street parking.

The car I passed was an unmarked police car, and it smelled like a trap. Teamed with a motorcycle, they pulled me over at a roundabout. Two young-looking officers looked into my car before yielding to what appeared to be the supervisor.

Tons of verbal abuse ensued. The supervising officer repeatedly threatened to jail me for "reckless driving" and interrupted most of my responses. I tried to explain that I made a well-reasoned choice to overtake an excessively slow car that looked lost. Whenever I tried to have a word, he hurled more foul language and personal insults to me and my "nice car with a nice engine."

"Give me a g***amn reason not to tow your car and jail you."
"Do you see the g***amn sun? Do you see these people?"

I can't recall whether he used any four-letter words, but it felt quite inhumane and overwhelming. I suspect that I may have looked like a Berkeley student to him and somehow triggered a grudge. The officer tried to make the point that it was unsafe to overtake because of people in the area. It was really subjective to me, but I tried to tell him that I understood his point.

Eventually the cops took a look at my papers. At some point, for reasons I still don't know, the supervisor suddenly became sympathetic and said it was for my own good that he advised me to be careful around the crowds, as pedestrians could suddenly spill onto the street and he didn't want me to live with the guilt of hurting a pedestrian.

I didn't get a ticket. The cop extended a handshake and politely--almost humbly--wished me a safe journey home. 2 minutes later I saw more cops pulling over other drivers, and the entire weekend I saw much more police presence than usual in the area.

I spent a few minutes wondering what just happened. Anybody go through a similarly abusive/bizarre experience? While I did feel I was treated unfairly, I am also aware that cops in the area have to deal with a fairly rough town (with a lot of students, too) and I do somewhat understand their tendency to act intimidating. But is it justified for me, since I turned out to be neither a criminal nor an unruly student? What do you guys think?

Regardless, definitely made my weekend a little...unique. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by superchan7; 02-08-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 11:18 PM
LexFather

Sorry to hear about that experience. Sounds like they marked that area for the weekend and/or were doing some training.

Still once you are polite there is no reason for them to talk to you in any manner. They are to be professional, they are to protect us and OUR TAXES pay their salaries.

You can file a complaint if you want. Its sad b/c when you are younger, bad experiences with the police can alter your perceptions, maybe forever.

Old 02-08-10, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Tough situation you encountered. I've had several run-ins with the police and it's my experience some do have a chip on their shoulder. When that happens, I've often found that cockiness, arguing, or not fessing up that you might have made a mistake usually sets them off worse and gets you in more trouble. Even if you don't think you did anything wrong. When you are being investigated, I've found it's cheapest and easiest to just suck it up and let them get it out of their system. Usually if they see you are calm and remorseful, they are more willing to let you go.
Old 02-09-10, 12:06 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont like Berkeley at all...
Old 02-09-10, 12:33 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I either take my parent's Prius or let AC Transit and BART chauffeur me to Berkeley if I feel the need to go there. Don't like the driver and the car-bike interaction there.
Old 02-09-10, 12:34 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

I am afraid I have the same feeling about Berkeley.
Old 02-09-10, 12:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Meh sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds bitter sweet
Old 02-09-10, 01:31 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry to hear about that experience. Sounds like they marked that area for the weekend and/or were doing some training.

Still once you are polite there is no reason for them to talk to you in any manner. They are to be professional, they are to protect us and OUR TAXES pay their salaries.

You can file a complaint if you want. Its sad b/c when you are younger, bad experiences with the police can alter your perceptions, maybe forever.
Agreed, when you receive 40 tickets in about 5 years and miss work/school for court dates and have only 1 ticket on my record that's when the police seem like a joke to me.

Last edited by Oleg400; 02-09-10 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 01:43 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

same here. 8 parking tickets in 2 days is no fun. Especially since it was my first weekend driving there. Glad to say I'm not going back there.
Old 02-09-10, 04:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately, these days most cops are low lifes, especially in urban areas. Probably a good idea to carry around a sound recorder.
Old 02-09-10, 04:51 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would exchange a ticket for a verbal lashing any day!
Old 02-09-10, 06:38 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Situation is all subjective.

What speed is 'slow moving' to you
What speed is 'your best to overtake a car smoothly and safely'?

What kind of car was it that you wouldn't recogonize it to be an unmarked police car (I can spot one in a heartbeat)?

You were probably in the right and likely they were too.
Old 02-09-10, 07:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The end result with no ticket makes a difference.
Old 02-09-10, 08:21 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I am not saying it's your fault, but there's always 3 sides of the story: your side, their side, and the truth.

I went to undergrad at Berkeley. I didn't like the Berkeley PD and encountered many times with them. But mostly were my faults
Old 02-09-10, 08:28 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^1, It's a zoo town, filled with drugs and Elitists, would never visit and people there hate the military

Quick Reply: Experience with Police in Berkeley, California