Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Virginia Proposes New Traffic Changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 09:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your state (CA) is like mine (VA) in that it has both rural, free-flowing traffic areas and some of the worst urban/suburban traffic in the country. And, as far as a "police state" goes, CA laws that regulate autos and driving are among the toughest in the country......everything from CARB and emissions, car model availability, registration, speed limits, gasoline blends, motor vehicle taxes.....you name it. CA is also the home of one of the country's most outspoken vehicle critics....Arianna Huffington. Radar detectors (one of the thread topics) are one of the very few things that your state is more permissive in than mine....perhaps the only one.
I guess you missed the point, let others explain.

Regulation of emissions, registration, gasoline, motor vehicle taxes have nothing to do with topic here. Driving laws in CA are not more rigid than those of VA and actual enforcement is different. The term from drivers in VA (police state) is not my opinion, but the opinion of others.
Old 02-12-10, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I guess you missed the point, let others explain.

Regulation of emissions, registration, gasoline, motor vehicle taxes have nothing to do with topic here. Driving laws in CA are not more rigid than those of VA and actual enforcement is different. The term from drivers in VA (police state) is not my opinion, but the opinion of others.
I didn't miss the point. I've heard the term "police state" used to cover the traffic laws in both states (and, of course, in D.C. and close-in MD), which are even worse).......from drivers who have had experience in all of these places.

Consequently, TX (especially Western TX) and MT seem to be among the most lax. MT, for a while, had no speed limits at all, and TX, for example, used to mail out coupon-books for drivers where one could use a state-approved coupon and pay only $5 for a speeding ticket. (and so much for the idea that speeding tickets are primarily for revenue-collection).
Old 02-12-10, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I didn't miss the point. I've heard the term "police state" used to cover the traffic laws in both states (and, of course, in D.C. and close-in MD), which are even worse).......from drivers who have had experience in all of these places.

Consequently, TX (especially Western TX) and MT seem to be among the most lax. MT, for a while, had no speed limits at all, and TX, for example, used to mail out coupon-books for drivers where one could use a state-approved coupon and pay only $5 for a speeding ticket. (and so much for the idea that speeding tickets are primarily for revenue-collection).
Agreed, now that's on point.

But more on-topic, I'm backing the other 49 states that allow radar detectors for non-commercial vehicles.
Old 02-12-10, 12:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard95
Virginia has proposed changes in speed limits and on the use of radar. The state has proposed the increase in speed limit from 65 to 70 mph in the rural areas. They are also looking at allowing the use of radar. They said that they are the only state that bans them so they may allow them.
Speed limit in rural areas of AZ is 75 mph. That usually brings cruising speeds to 85-90 mph. Its awesome for long trips to CAlifornia. You can make pretty decent time
Old 02-12-10, 12:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Speed limit in rural areas of AZ is 75 mph. That usually brings cruising speeds to 85-90 mph. Its awesome for long trips to CAlifornia. You can make pretty decent time
Agreed, but you need protection to do that without incident.