Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 09:55 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason I like the new interior a lot better than the exterior, don't know why, maybe the outside is just blah !
Old 02-10-10, 09:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
What is wrong with you guys?

I'd definitely take this over the LaCrosse, Taurus, or Maxima.
Sounds like something's wrong with you since you're in the minority right now... which is saying a lot since this is a Toyota board.

Genesis is in a different class and is of course superior, but that's a moot point.
Price wise it's in a similar class which makes them competitors in some regards.
Old 02-10-10, 09:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the avalon is the toyota that most resembles a lexus. Awesome build quality, great interiro, and numb handling. They could put an aero kit on it and change the emblem and sell it as a Lexus
Old 02-10-10, 10:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Those are all fresh redesigns, not refreshes. They also are much more important to each brand than the Avalon.

The fact is this is the 7th model year for the Avalon and they just put a significant amount of effort into a refresh rather than a redesign... so obviously this is how they're going to roll for at least another 2-3 years, maybe more... that means regardless of reasons, this is what Toyota has brought to the table and in comparison to the competition I think it's a weak effort.

Looking at cars more important to Toyota, like the Camry, I'm not exactly feeling like they'd have done much better if they did consider it more of a priority.
Old 02-10-10, 10:02 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I will say, though, in pictures the interior does look like a substantial improvement over the 2010 model. I need to see it in person. I mean if those are Lexus-like interior materials then it'll be pretty good. The 2010 model's interior materials were definitely not up to Lexus standards though... they looked nicer than they were.
Old 02-10-10, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
The fact is this is the 7th model year for the Avalon and they just put a significant amount of effort into a refresh rather than a redesign... so obviously this is how they're going to roll for at least another 2-3 years, maybe more... that means regardless of reasons, this is what Toyota has brought to the table and in comparison to the competition I think it's a weak effort.

Looking at cars more important to Toyota, like the Camry, I'm not exactly feeling like they'd have done much better if they did consider it more of a priority.
Not denying it seems worse than the 3 you mentioned. However it is a refresh compared to 3 vehicles that were of the utmost importance to each brand.

Old 02-10-10, 10:06 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
What is wrong with you guys?

I'd definitely take this over the LaCrosse, Taurus, or Maxima.

Genesis is in a different class and is of course superior, but that's a moot point.
The only thing the Avalon has over these cars is that it's a "Toyota" with proven longevity . Otherwise, these are much better designs.
Old 02-10-10, 10:08 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the 2.7L 4 cylinder would have been a good option for this, assuming it is more efficient.
Old 02-10-10, 10:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Slow selling vehicle that swith Toyota's problems and the LaCross,sales should be even worse.Toyota should drop the model.
Toyota has too many models.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-10-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-10-10, 10:11 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a mix between current gen Camry and last gen Camry in the front. The rear looks nice. I'm not looking to shop in this class of car so I don't know what I'd buy versus it's competitors.
Old 02-10-10, 10:13 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

i like it....it looks smoother than the current avalon

i really like the improved center stack....i HATE the center stack on the 05-10 avalon with those stupid cover doors over the radio and such
Old 02-10-10, 10:14 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YARIS!
The only thing the Avalon has over these cars is that it's a "Toyota" with proven longevity . Otherwise, these are much better designs.
Design is subjective. The Taurus is nice, I find the LaCrosse a little generic, and don't care for the Maxima.

These are large, comfy cruisers for the most part. The others may be sportier than the Avalon, but NONE of these are sports sedans, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-10-10, 10:24 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

whats with the IS looking center dash air vents?
Old 02-10-10, 10:30 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

looks more like a complete redesign than a facelift. Everything looks changed except for the side profile
Old 02-10-10, 10:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx

it is FMC - new model, not an facelift... thats why interior looks like that.

I like it for what it is - very conservative sedan designed for different set of priorities (ride, space, conservative looks). I would never buy it, but just look at those Lexus design details inside such as glove compartment that is lined with nice materials, you wont find that in other Toyota's with similar price.

Quick Reply: 2011 Toyota Avalon