Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 10:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So really a rebody, not a redesign or facelift, from what I can see. Ho hum.
Old 02-10-10, 10:34 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

avalon is one of my favorite toyota. it's one of the most comfortable non-luxury out there.
Old 02-10-10, 10:43 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think that the 2.7L 4 cylinder would have been a good option for this, assuming it is more efficient.
That's exactly what Toyota should do. They should place the Avalon in a class below the LaCrosse, Maxima, and Taurus. They might be able to find a niche for people who want an efficient affordable full size sedan and sales would probably double with the I4 option.
Old 02-10-10, 10:44 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
The fact is this is the 7th model year for the Avalon and they just put a significant amount of effort into a refresh rather than a redesign... so obviously this is how they're going to roll for at least another 2-3 years, maybe more...
2006 was actually the first model year for the current, 3rd-gen Avalon. The 2008 model year saw the first grille-and-taillight facelift. With the 2011 Avalon receiving its second grille-and-taillight facelift (plus the more extensive interior facelift), it'll indeed probably become a 7-year-cycle model, with 2012 being the final model year for the 3rd-gen.

My gut feeling tells me they're trying to cut the time lag between the 8th-gen Camry and 4th-gen Avalon debuts. Remember there was also a rumor (that I'm personally highly skeptical of) that a long-wheelbase version of the 8th-gen Camry would become the next de facto Avalon.

Among the fallout from the current global economic crisis, combined with ever-mushrooming carmaker lineups, is a trend for longer cycles between major car redesigns. Honda's much-vaunted 4-year cycles have already given way to 5-year (or longer) cycles, and they were rumored to go to 6 years starting with the current-gen Civic and Accord. Be assured they're not the only ones...
Old 02-10-10, 10:55 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jruhi4
2006 was actually the first model year for the current, 3rd-gen Avalon. The 2008 model year saw the first grille-and-taillight facelift. With the 2011 Avalon receiving its second grille-and-taillight facelift (plus the more extensive interior facelift), it'll indeed probably become a 7-year-cycle model, with 2012 being the final model year for the 3rd-gen.
Actually 2005 was the first model year for this generation.

So if 2012 is the last model year for this generation that will be an 8 model year run. Though I have doubts that Toyota would put that much effort into this refresh if it was only going to have 2 more years of sales before being redesigned from the ground up. But it is possible.
Old 02-10-10, 10:58 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never liked Avalons.
Old 02-10-10, 10:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Wow.

What is Toyota doing here? The Avalon needed a true redesign, not a rebody with ES330 design cues. Also, what's with the Lexus-esque chrome strip along the bottom? Since this is clearly a refresh, I am a little concerned that they are calling it the "redesigned" Avalon and pushing it like a new model. I really hope they have something new up their sleeve for 2012 and that this only an interim model. Weak sauce.

None the less, I really don't see the Taurus or LaCrosse as being much better. The Ford is only acceptable in SHO trim and Toyota isn't going after that type of buyer. The same goes for the Maxima. The LaCrosse is decent but I am not sold on the awkward styling and fat pig weight/performance/fuel economy.

Genesis is a competitor in some ways, but not directly. More of an apples-to-oranges comparison, though I would rather drop my $40K on a Genesis...or really a Maxima.

This gets 4/10 stars from me.
Old 02-10-10, 11:12 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
looks more like a complete redesign than a facelift. Everything looks changed except for the side profile
It's the same car. Just new grill, headlights, taillights, and interior changes, and a couple of technical updates.

Look again, the whole body (panels) is the same.
Old 02-10-10, 11:18 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
It's the same car. Just new grill, headlights, taillights, and interior changes, and a couple of technical updates.

Look again, the whole body (panels) is the same.
i agree the side profile body panels are the same, but arent there new front and rear bumpers, new trunk lid design? not to mention the complete interior overhall.
Old 02-10-10, 11:20 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
That's exactly what Toyota should do. They should place the Avalon in a class below the LaCrosse, Maxima, and Taurus. They might be able to find a niche for people who want an efficient affordable full size sedan and sales would probably double with the I4 option.

You mean make the Avalon a Camry? Because there's no room between the Camry class and Avalon class.
Old 02-10-10, 11:24 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
i agree the side profile body panels are the same, but arent there new front and rear bumpers, new trunk lid design? not to mention the complete interior overhall.
Still wouldn't qualify as a redesign. A redesign is completely new from the ground up. New chassis, new engine (generally), 100% new body, ect.
Old 02-10-10, 11:28 AM
Milla...

I'll just except that the hot fudge on this scoop of vanilla ice cream is the the LED tubed treated tails.........wow tasty.
Old 02-10-10, 11:28 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YARIS!

You mean make the Avalon a Camry? Because there's no room between the Camry class and Avalon class.
No I mean make the Avalon a big Camry

All I'm saying is they should offer an I4 model, as suggested by SLegacy99. A sub $25K fullsize sedan would be very attractive for a lot of people especially if it got 31+mpg hwy.
Old 02-10-10, 11:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The Avalon is....a big Camry
Old 02-10-10, 11:31 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Probably will never own an Avalon but this is an epic fail from Toyota.

There's something about this car that just doesn't flow well together. Half-assed job that I would never expect from Toyota. Something like Dodge would do, not from Toyota.

Quick Reply: 2011 Toyota Avalon