Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 11:33 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The Avalon is....a big Camry
Yes, but Toyota positions it as their flagship. Toyota should offer more downmarket options for it like they do the Camry and essentially make it for people that want something bigger than the Camry, not necessarily for those that want an entry level luxury sedan (since that's what the ES is).

I think the Avalon could find a big niche in the market if it were repositioned, since I don't think in it's current form it compares well with the more powerful more upscale competition (Taurus, Maxima, LaCrosse)
Old 02-10-10, 11:44 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think Toyota is a bit overloaded in this market segment. Avalon doesn't offer much more over a loaded Camry except a little extra interior room making the Avalon a curious case. Then Lexus has the ES 350 which offers less room but more luxury and then there's the GS 350 slightly above that. All sedans at approximately the same size and fitment with available or standard V6 and trim. If there's one car Toyota could do without it's the Avalon.
Old 02-10-10, 11:44 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

If this is the kind of treatment Toyota is going to give their flagship, then they might as well just discontinue it. This is NOT a redesign. It's simply yet another "refresh" (the last one being for MY 2008). I can't recall Toyota ever refreshing the same model twice within the same generation, so this is clearly a first. Must be part of Toyota's new "cost-cutting" strategy I guess we should expect more of these "refreshed redesigns" coming from them in the future? Sad days for Toyota indeed...
Old 02-10-10, 12:17 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Threxx
Actually 2005 was the first model year for this generation.
You're right. The Toyota Pressroom led me to believe that 2005 was the last model year for the 2nd-gen, but a Google image search proves that you're right and I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Threxx
So if 2012 is the last model year for this generation that will be an 8 model year run. Though I have doubts that Toyota would put that much effort into this refresh if it was only going to have 2 more years of sales before being redesigned from the ground up. But it is possible.
I'm beginning to wonder if this is like the JDM 2nd-gen Toyota Mark X where an all-new model looks so close to the previous one that it looks like a mid-term facelift instead. That 2nd-gen Toyota Mark X had me fooled until someone pointed out the difference in the front fender.

Might this new Avalon be a similar situation?
Old 02-10-10, 12:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Thumbs down

Why does Toyota continue to use Lexus styling cues both interior and exterior??????

I dont want Lexus being mistaken for Toyotas. I believe this problem has escalated in recent years especially when u talk about exterior design. Its embarassing that a company like Toyota can't develop 2 separate design philosophies.

Solara had SC design cues.
Camry has LS & GS design cues.
Avalon now has ES & LS design cues.

The HS looks like a damn Corolla.
The LX & GX is a rebadge of Toyotas.

The IS, RX, and LFA are only cars that are origal desings not really being copied by Toyota models.

BTW this is not to say the styling itself is not good of both Lexus and Toyota.....I like some of the designs, I just dont like that more and more Lex looks like a Toyota.
Old 02-10-10, 12:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Agreed, or the Taurus, Genesis, and LaCrosse.

It is a decent update, but it should be a totally new design. Grill is clearly inspired by the new Sienna minivan. Wonder what will happen to this model ofter this generation.
Should be a redesign IMO as well.. That design is a like what 5 years old or older. We need a redesign something with better design cues and better wheels..
Old 02-10-10, 12:33 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not AWD? Toyota has had pleant of experience with it. I'd bet that the Avalon sales would get a boost if that were offered as an option. Otherwise, as previously stated, rather boring, but nice cruiser.
Old 02-10-10, 12:34 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Why does Toyota continue to use Lexus styling cues both interior and exterior??????

I dont want Lexus being mistaken for Toyotas. I believe this problem has escalated in recent years especially when u talk about exterior design. Its embarassing that a company like Toyota can't develop 2 separate design philosophies.

Solara had SC design cues.
Camry has LS & GS design cues.
Avalon now has ES & LS design cues.

The HS looks like a damn Corolla.
The LX & GX is a rebadge of Toyotas.

The IS, RX, and LFA are only cars that are origal desings not really being copied by Toyota models.

BTW this is not to say the styling itself is not good of both Lexus and Toyota.....I like some of the designs, I just dont like that more and more Lex looks like a Toyota.
I agree with you, but that's the topic of a new thread
Old 02-10-10, 12:36 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Orzel
Why not AWD? Toyota has had pleant of experience with it. I'd bet that the Avalon sales would get a boost if that were offered as an option. Otherwise, as previously stated, rather boring, but nice cruiser.
The ES and even HS need AWD options before Toyota even thinks about putting that option in the Avalon.

Anyway, I think Toyota wants to position the Venza as the AWD family cruiser.
Old 02-10-10, 12:48 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

historically avalon never was a looker. but in this segment 'comfort' is all you need. it's a car for some one who wants a sound deadening large car.
Old 02-10-10, 01:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
No I mean make the Avalon a big Camry

All I'm saying is they should offer an I4 model, as suggested by SLegacy99. A sub $25K fullsize sedan would be very attractive for a lot of people especially if it got 31+mpg hwy.
Old people are looking for more efficient vehicles. I see em in hybrids and with 4 cylinders. My grandfather has been a 4 cylinder Camry man for two decades now. An Avalon would do well with an I4 stressing efficiency.
Old 02-10-10, 01:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to say that I can't believe how long they have been selling this car. Its kind of like the stale and stagnant SC430. Great car but sells poorly because its competition is much more current, styled more aggressively , and offer more power. They need to redesign the avalon and make it competitive. The toyota name is not going to sell cars forever. They need to wake up a little and stop being so complacent with the Avalon. Its a good car that could be made great with a redesign
Old 02-10-10, 01:09 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I like this interior much better. new one looks like a truck interior.
Old 02-10-10, 01:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO and based on my experience, the Avalon is best appreciated while cruising in the back seat, nice and roomy.
Old 02-10-10, 01:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO and based on my experience, the Avalon is best appreciated while cruising in the back seat, nice and roomy.
True.

My parents have an '08 Avalon, and I've ridden in the back for trips to Vegas and San Francisco.

My perspective:

Lots of people here are missing the point.

The Avalon coddles a type of consumer that will rarely join ClubLexus. The Avalon provides a plush ride, confident with speed, cautious (read grannied) with handling, and easy to use.

I can understand why the redesign is understated: the consumer market that will buy the Avalon HATE dramatic styling and changes. They want to progress from vanilla pudding to tapioca pudding.

The Navigation system is a HUGE improvement from the toggle Super-Nintendo-style cross that was the most annoying to use.

Quick Reply: 2011 Toyota Avalon