Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Honda Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 12:49 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Honda Odyssey

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ept/index.html

Ambivalent about minivans? If so, Honda is gunning for your business. In addition to those who love and hate the family-friendly haulers, the automaker says there's a third, distinct segment of consumers who appreciate the utility of a van, but loathe their stodgy image.

Honda hopes its fourth-generation Odyssey, previewed by this concept unveiled at the 2010 Chicago auto show, appeals to those buyers. Although it isn't a complete departure from the traditional minivan, the concept -- and the production vehicle, we're told -- will inject some additional style into the segment.

Styled completely by Honda's R&D Americas design center in California, the Odyssey concept bears some resemblance to its predecessor. Perhaps the most dramatic changes lie with the roofline (it's lower, and the A-pillars are moved forward for a steeper rake) and the side windows (designers say the "lightning bolt" character line will carry over into production models).

As this is merely a styling buck, we weren't able to see a fully developed interior. Sketches released by Honda suggest a two-tone cabin with some sporty touches, including a dashboard patterned after that on the Civic. We'd expect a fold-flat third-row seat to again be standard, and Honda says the second-row bench will now be able to accommodate three child safety seats.

Honda will continue to use V-6 power in the Odyssey -- exact specifics weren't released, but we were told the next van is expected to return 19/28 mpg (city/highway) -- an improvement over the 2010 model's 17/25 mpg EPA rating.

Like other recent Honda concepts (we're looking at you, CR-Z), this is essentially a concept in name only. Although we doubt the production Odyssey will sport LED headlamps or such slender door handles, the final vehicle should largely resemble what you see here. Look for the actual 2011 Odyssey to be unveiled this fall, likely at the 2010 Los Angeles auto show.
Old 02-10-10, 12:55 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I like it. exterior looks like production ready.
Old 02-10-10, 12:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

1. Ugly

2. There's no way the Honda 3.5L V6, even with their new 6AT, will be able to boost MPG like that. It already features VCM. I'd say 2.3L Turbo, but the RDX is hardly efficient.
Old 02-10-10, 12:59 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If I were in the market for a minivan,the Odyssey would still be my choice.
Old 02-10-10, 01:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It looks beautiful . I think they did an amazing job. Honda vans have always looked so much better than the offerings from Toyota ( yes I said it) , Nissan, and all of the american car companies.

With babies on the way I am happy to know that there are vehicles like this available. I am also feeling the Venza for a people mover but this will provide more comfort and room
Old 02-10-10, 01:23 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great, I was definitely expecting worse considering Honda's latest styling blunders.
Old 02-10-10, 01:41 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm part of the market-segment that Honda is talking about. But it's really the sluggish FWD performance that I still don't like about them. Make them drive more like the 2010 RX and we're talking.
Old 02-10-10, 01:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Not sure about that crooked belt line but looks pretty good. Now the question is, how well will it look in production form?
Old 02-10-10, 01:52 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not sure about that crooked belt line but looks pretty good.
I wonder if more visible pillars would help? Probably not but I think I see what you're seeing.
Old 02-10-10, 01:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it a bit late to announce a concept for a 2011 model? They should already be nearing the production phase for a new 2011 design.
Old 02-10-10, 01:57 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This is probably the most successful Honda design of the last couple of years. I think they did a wonderful job of taking the basic box and making it look long and sleek without sacrificing space. It's quite a brilliant visual trick. I still don't care for Honda's corporate grille but it's less obtrusive here. Big
Old 02-10-10, 02:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The Ford Edge wants its front grille back

Looks good so far. I thought the Sienna looked fantastic (for a minivan) and would be hard for Honda to top, but looks like it's neck and neck.
Old 02-10-10, 02:35 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks good so far. I thought the Sienna looked fantastic (for a minivan) and would be hard for Honda to top, but looks like it's neck and neck.
My thoughts exactly. After bringing out the Crosstour and ZDX its about time they put out a decent-looking vehicle, even if it is a minivan.
Old 02-10-10, 03:46 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It actually looks like what the Accord Crosstour AND the ZDX should have been, IMO.
Old 02-10-10, 04:37 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to see the production Odyssey. This proto looks clean and that's about it. It still has too much current model's look and proportion. The D pillar looks like the ugly MDXs. I really wish the next Odyssey can be as good to look as the new Siena Sport.

Quick Reply: 2011 Honda Odyssey