Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 08:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Slow selling Lexus model like the GS.
I see more Benz's on the road in my NYC metro area.
I rarely see a LS.
you do understand LS is better selling in USA, right? ;-).

Problem is that you live in NY... come to LA to so where is it at.
Old 02-12-10, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Lexus do what you do best in this category. Everytime I think of a LS460 being sporty all I can do is laugh. Stick to what you do best.

I generaly agree, but there are some potential LS460 buyers who want more responsive handling/braking. The Sport model is for them, not the average LS460 buyer.

Having said that, however, I myself feel there was no need to go to stiffer tires on the latest-generation non-Sport model. For those who are NOT interested in the Sport model (and they are probably the majority of LS460 buyers), ride comfort is one of the most important issues....for them, the tires should be as soft and high-profile as is feasibly possible.
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the difference is that the GS is actually a slow selling model and well below the class leaders. On the flipside, the LS is the best selling model in it's class despite the fact that the entire segment is low volume.
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Slow selling Lexus model like the GS.
I see more Benz's on the road in my NYC metro area.
I rarely see a LS.
I'm also in NJ and I see quite a few LS, even some 600hLs, but you're right that the S class is king out here. But I still think the LS is number 2 in our area. I don't see 7 series that often and A8s are pretty rare.

As a side note I see a lot of GSs out here even though they're "slow selling" elsewhere.
Old 02-12-10, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Well the difference is that the GS is actually a slow selling model and well below the class leaders. On the flipside, the LS is the best selling model in it's class despite the fact that the entire segment is low volume.
Correct. No one can argue with LS sales.
Old 02-12-10, 08:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I'm also in NJ and I see quite a few LS, even some 600hLs, but you're right that the S class is king out here. But I still think the LS is number 2 in our area. I don't see 7 series that often and A8s are pretty rare.

As a side note I see a lot of GSs out here even though they're "slow selling" elsewhere.
I agree.
7 Series and A8 are really rare.
The S class is the world's best selling luxury flagship sedan.I really like the S Class.Great styling and so classy looking but oh that reliability may be in question a bit..
Old 02-12-10, 08:30 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Correct. No one can argue with LS sales.
Sales are always difficult to look at when comparing the LS to the BMW and Merc flagships. The starting MSRP of the LS is a $64K while the 7 series starts at $82k and Mercedes starts at $87k.. A fully optioned LS460 does even top the BMW's starting asking price. Some could argue based on simply price that the LS does not belong with the LS or MB....I certainly do believe it does belong. When I compare the LS to 7series or S-class in reminds of how the Genesis is in the same category of car type as the GS but stills starts for a lot less.

If the LS started at $85k with the current option level, would it still do as well?

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-12-10 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 08:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Sales are always difficult to look at when comparing the LS to the BMW and Merc flagships. The starting MSRP of the LS is a $64K while the 7 series starts at $82k and Mercedes starts at $87k.. A fully optioned LS460 does even top the BMW's starting asking price. Some could argue based on simply price that the LS does not belong with the LS or MB....I certainly do believe it does belong. When I compare the LS to 7series or S-class in reminds of how the Genesis is in the same category of car type as the GS but stills starts for a lot less.

If the LS started at $85k with the current option level, would it still do as well?
FWIW last time I went to the dealer they had an LS 460L on the floor that stickered at $98K.
Old 02-12-10, 08:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Good point.
I think most wealthy people go for a Benz and pay more.
It's just a more classy car that turns more heads.
I've driven and rode in my son in law's LS 460L many times.It's very nice.Great ML system too.I like the car but just don't love it.It's kind of blah.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-12-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 08:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWIW last time I went to the dealer they had an LS 460L on the floor that stickered at $98K.
My son in law's '08 LS460L has I believe every option and listed at $83K.Not AWD,though.
Old 02-12-10, 08:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I also want to point out, pagemaster, that you seem to be stuck on price and are not actually examining the merits of each of these cars and considering what they offer.

Because the Mercedes and BMW cost more, does that inherently make them better cars? This argument negates your sentiments regarding the "overpriced" LFA. Since it's 2x the price of the 458 Italia, that must mean it's 2x better, right?

Is an Abercrombie and Fitch $80 polo better than a $12 one from Target, when they are both made at the same factory but finished with different logos?

I have spent plenty of time driving LS 460s, LS 460Ls, and even LS 600hLs, as well as S550s, S55s, 750is, 750iLs, A8s, A8Ls, and I can honestly say that the 7 series and the A8 actually feel a cut below the LS and S class in my opinion. I guess part of that is my thoughts and preference for ultra high quality interior materials and luxury abound. I think BMW puts more money into suspension and performance than they do interiors, and I think it also shows when you drive the car. The A8 is great but about 9/10 of the way there. There is really no doubt that the LS is a legitimate contender with the other two, and driving any of the three of them for 5 minutes would tell you that. Even sitting in one is really all it takes.

Your argument about the Genesis is really kind of off base too, as Hyundai got a lot of it right at face value but fell short in several other key areas- the areas that matter to people who buy, own, and are serious about luxury cars.
Old 02-12-10, 08:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A large percentage of s classes I see in NYC are actually limo service.
Old 02-12-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
A large percentage of s classes I see in NYC are actually limo service.
That's because Cadillac and Lincoln are phasing out their TRUE full-size passenger-car limo platforms, and some limo firms are being forced to turn to much more expensive ones from other automakers such as the S-Class. The Buick Lucerne might be a good (though slightly less-plush) alternative, but even the Lucerne may not be around much longer.

Chrysler unveiled a prototype, Rolls-Royce-like Imperial a few years ago that would have also, possibly, made another good alternative, but, unfortunately, never followed through on it.....possibly because of the looming bankrupcy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 09:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The Genesis doesn't have the options the LS460 has...let alone the ownership experience. Can you get a complimentary loaner car when you bring your Hyundai Genesis in for service? EXACTLY! Enough said.
Old 02-12-10, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
The Genesis doesn't have the options the LS460 has...let alone the ownership experience. Can you get a complimentary loaner car when you bring your Hyundai Genesis in for service? EXACTLY! Enough said.
Slightly off-topic, maybe, but have you seen the Hyundai Equus, Ryan (maybe at the L.A. AutoShow)? I got a peek at it (but not a full inspection) at the D.C. Auto Show last month. From what I saw, that car is IMPRESSIVE. It should have the potential (if the public doesn't shun it just because it is a Hyundai) to give the LS460 some real competition. The Genesis sedan can compete with some lower-line Lexus products, of course, but it is no match for an LS. The Equus, however, may be a different story.

Check out that chrome Flying-Lady hood ornament....a R/R copy, yes, but still classy.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-10 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport