Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 09:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Slightly off-topic, maybe, but have you seen the Hyundai Equus, Ryan (maybe at the L.A. AutoShow)? I got a peek at it (but not a full inspection) at the D.C. Auto Show last month. From what I saw, that car is IMPRESSIVE. It should have the potential (if the public doesn't shun it just because it is a Hyundai) to give the LS460 some real competition.

Check out that chrome Flying-Lady hood ornament....an R/R copy, yes, but still classy.

Very,very nice Mike, but will the public pay say $65K for a Hyundai at this point,anyway.
I don't see many Genesis on the road in my area with that $36K-$42K sticker and it's a nice car.I do hate the dashboard,though.
Old 02-12-10, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Very,very nice Mike, but will the public pay say $65K for a Hyundai at this point,anyway.
I don't see many Genesis on the road in my area with that $36K-$42K sticker and it's a nice car.I do hate the dashboard,though.
Maybe. The recession just might steer some potential luxury-car buyers into something like an Equus rather than a more expensive LS, S-Class, or 7-series.

Hyundai (to my knowledge) hasn't announced pricing yet, but the people at the show hinted that it would start at significantly less than 65K. But, we'll see.

But, of course, a car like this probably wouldn't compete with the LS460 Sport (the thread title). Hyundai typically tunes their sedan chassis/suspensions a little on the soft side...Koreans generally like ride comfort. You can tell from the trim (more Rolls-like than Bentley) that the Equus is more luxury than sport-oriented.
Old 02-12-10, 09:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Slightly off-topic, maybe, but have you seen the Hyundai Equus, Ryan (maybe at the L.A. AutoShow)?

Yeah I saw it at LA, and I sat in it in Detroit. No doubt it's a nice car, but it's still not up there with the LS. From a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) they're still at a 6. Something about the leather they use and the way it's placed in the car feels cheap. The interior fit/finish and feel reminds me of the Kia Amanti.
Old 02-12-10, 09:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah I saw it at LA, and I sat in it in Detroit. No doubt it's a nice car, but it's still not up there with the LS. From a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) they're still at a 6. Something about the leather they use and the way it's placed in the car feels cheap. The interior fit/finish and feel reminds me of the Kia Amanti.
Flip,I think you just gave me the answer on my thinking of how would that big area of wood on the passenger side dash look in person.
Old 02-12-10, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, you're one step ahead of me, then. I got to see the interior, but not actually sit in it or inspect the materials.

As far as "cheap" leather and seat upholstery goes, however, I've seen (and reviewed) a number of upmarket German-designed vehicles that cost more than the Equus's projected price......and had, instead of nice smooth leather, cheap, rough/grainy-feeling stuff, or not even leather at all....stuff like M-B Tex, Dakota, and glorified vinyl.

You mentioned the Amanti. It was a nice car, especially in ride comfort (though the soft suspension gave it the body-roll and handling of a boat), but I agree that the interior materials were not in Lexus territory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 09:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

OK, you're one step ahead of me, then. I got to see the interior, but not actually sit in it or inspect the materials.

As far as "cheap" leather and seat upholstery goes, however, I've seen (and reviewed) a number of upmarket German-designed vehicles that cost more than the Equus's projected price......and had, instead of nice smooth leather, cheap, rough/grainy-feeling stuff, or not even leather at all....stuff like M-B Tex, Dakota, and glorified vinyl.
"Leatherette".
Old 02-12-10, 09:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Back to the LS 460...
Old 02-12-10, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
...Back to the LS 460...
Yes. Agreed. But it was interesting to compare some of its possible future competitors.
Old 02-12-10, 10:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The LS460 Sport aka "Sport Authentic" is definitely a step in the right direction. It has "F" attributes, but I think it's about 8/10 to being a real bonafide "F" status car.

Old 02-12-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this version of the LS. And I don't consider the LS to be slow selling, since sales track nicely with the S-class and 7-series sedans that it competes with.

btw, Mike-thanks for posting the article
Old 02-12-10, 10:54 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just cant pass that ugly grill...
Old 02-12-10, 11:03 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

With my baby on the way and articles like this I think more and more that an LS and not a GTR is in my future. I am sad but its more practical, reliable, and will give me more trunk space for the babies stuff. I will probably keep the GS until the rattles and squeaks drive me insane then I will dump it. Seriously I feel like I want to cry but the LS is no civic DX.
Old 02-12-10, 11:40 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Indeed, like some other Lexus cars, the LS leads its market in sales (even last year despite the recession it outsold the S and 7), has few days on the lot before it's sold, and the 4LS has ranked as the second best-selling flagship sedan in the world. Its success is a major reason why the Lexus marque has gotten to where it has today.

With such a large volume for the luxury class, it only makes sense that the lineup went from the 3LS which was fairly homogenous, but for the LS 430 Touring, to the 4LS' SWB, LWB, AWD, hybrid, and now Sport models.
Old 02-12-10, 11:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Indeed, like some other Lexus cars, the LS leads its market in sales (even last year despite the recession it outsold the S and 7), has few days on the lot before it's sold, and the 4LS has ranked as the second best-selling flagship sedan in the world. Its success is a major reason why the Lexus marque has gotten to where it has today.

With such a large volume for the luxury class, it only makes sense that the lineup went from the 3LS which was fairly homogenous, but for the LS 430 Touring, to the 4LS' SWB, LWB, AWD, hybrid, and now Sport models.

On Autotrader.com within 50 miles of my zip code there are 81 '10 LS 460's available.84 on cars.com.Not a real big number but not a small one either.
52 GS350's.
There are a lot of dealers in my area,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-12-10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-12-10, 12:10 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Genesis doesn't have the options the LS460 has...

You are correct, the Geneis is not in the same class as the LS460, however I said it was like a GS for a lot less.

Can you get a complimentary loaner car when you bring your Hyundai Genesis in for service? EXACTLY! Enough said
I don't think the Genesis would sell any better if it has loaner cars. Loaners cars a minor issue to buyers of the Genesis.

Quick Reply: Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport