Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 12:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would agree that the Genesis is more competition for the GS not the LS. The LS is more luxurious and is available only with a V8 right now
Old 02-12-10, 12:22 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Good point.
I think most wealthy people go for a Benz and pay more.
It's just a more classy car that turns more heads.
You are exactly right. Most people who are getting in S-Class have to start off a higher price point for the entry level S-class, that immedietly makes the LS less prestigous IMO. No doubt about it, the LS competes with the S-Class, BMW, and A8..there is no doubt about it, the LS is also a great car but it does start at over $20k less than its rivals.

I have always said that Lexus should move up their cars like Merc and BMW...have the GS start at $64k and have the LS start at $85k...make them uber' luxurious, that would be amazing...but that is IMO of course.

I've driven and rode in my son in law's LS 460L many times.It's very nice.Great ML system too.I like the car but just don't love it.It's kind of blah.
I have driven and rode many times in the LS. Yes, yes, and yes again it is great and superb, IMHO the 7 series and S-Class feel more expensive and they have more bling than the S-class....I have always thought the current LS460 (minues 600h) is a like a very, very, very good flip phone...the S-Class/7series and next gen A8 on the other hand are more like those fancy blackberry smart phones...

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-12-10 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-12-10, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Well this thread went into the exact direction I thought it would... Sigh.....

Old 02-12-10, 05:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because Cadillac and Lincoln are phasing out their TRUE full-size passenger-car limo platforms, and some limo firms are being forced to turn to much more expensive ones from other automakers such as the S-Class. The Buick Lucerne might be a good (though slightly less-plush) alternative, but even the Lucerne may not be around much longer.

Chrysler unveiled a prototype, Rolls-Royce-like Imperial a few years ago that would have also, possibly, made another good alternative, but, unfortunately, never followed through on it.....possibly because of the looming bankrupcy.
Well, Caddy has been out of limo market for a long time. Their Northstar powered FWD sedans are just a disaster from reliability and build quality standpoint.

Lincoln is still very strong in the limo market, expecially when it comes to stretches - its almost the only stretch in NYC.

However the S class, which comes with LWB standard, has been the choice of executive limo services here in NYC. I do see occasional LS460L limos as well, but not as many.

The reason I mentioned S class limos, is because someone said about S class being more popular in NYC than LS. While it may be the case, I'm sure it is largely because of these limos. I think LS is more popular in private ownership.
Old 02-12-10, 05:57 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

only thing that caught my eye was, 'power oversteer'... i swear if i see someone powersliding a LS i'll probably faint
Old 02-12-10, 06:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as price difference between LS and S class, it simply doesn't matter. One needs to realize that people that buy these cars are usually loaded, and 10-15k will not say their decision, they will buy whatever they like better - they aren't trying to knock $24.99 from their montly payment

With that being said, why doesn't Lexus equip LS460 sport with active suspension?
Old 02-12-10, 06:24 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
You are exactly right. Most people who are getting in S-Class have to start off a higher price point for the entry level S-class, that immedietly makes the LS less prestigous IMO. No doubt about it, the LS competes with the S-Class, BMW, and A8..there is no doubt about it, the LS is also a great car but it does start at over $20k less than its rivals.

I have always said that Lexus should move up their cars like Merc and BMW...have the GS start at $64k and have the LS start at $85k...make them uber' luxurious, that would be amazing...but that is IMO of course.

I have driven and rode many times in the LS. Yes, yes, and yes again it is great and superb, IMHO the 7 series and S-Class feel more expensive and they have more bling than the S-class....I have always thought the current LS460 (minues 600h) is a like a very, very, very good flip phone...the S-Class/7series and next gen A8 on the other hand are more like those fancy blackberry smart phones...
You're argument isn't entirely true.

For example, in Europe Lexus's base prices are much higher than Audi, but does that mean Europeans see Lexus as more prestigious than Audi? No not at all.

Of course people are going to be price driven when they make a purchase but thats global. There was a report a week or 2 ago that Audi just surpassed Mercedes to be the number 2 luxury automaker. Audi also has the lower priced vehicles in most of its markets. Does that make Audi less prestigious? Maybe, but most people don't care.

So Lexus uses the same strategy as Audi in the US market and people complain?

Anyway increasing the GS's and LS's price that high would be stupid. Mercedes DECREASED the price of the new E class and BMW is going to do the same with the 5 series. On top of that the new I6 BMW 7 series is "only" going to costs $70K. The price of all luxury cars is going down because they're all trying to grab the same cost conscience buyers.
Old 02-12-10, 06:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
You're argument isn't entirely true.
For example, in Europe Lexus's base prices are much higher than Audi, but does that mean Europeans see Lexus as more prestigious than Audi? No not at all.
I am talking about USA here. Lexus/BMW/Mercedes flagships = import...base price of a flagship LS is $18k and $23k less...a fully optioned LS460 maxes out at less than the starting price of a 750...People say that the LS is equal to the S-Class and 750...mmarshall mentioned that the LS class outsells all others, I simply pointed out a possible answer to that.

I have a question for you Cj? Would a base LS460 as it is now be worth an $80k starting MSRP?

Audi also has the lower priced vehicles in most of its markets. Does that make Audi less prestigious?
Audi/BMW/Merc/Toyota branded Lexus models as brands IMO are less prestigious in their home countries than they are in the USA, they are more full market products....USA inflates the prestige of BMW/Lexus/Audi and Merc....
Old 02-12-10, 06:48 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I have a question for you Cj? Would a base LS460 as it is now be worth an $80k starting MSRP?
I see where you're coming from, but you didn't respond to the fact that I said all of Lexus's competition is moving downmarket. The 7 series is going to have a $70K starting price soon, and the current A8 already only cost $75K. The only one that's going to be over $85K is the S class, and who knows if Mercedes will follow BMW's lead and introduce a V6 S class for $70K.

Anyway right now, since the flagship market moving to lower price points, is the wrong time for Lexus to arbitrarily raise the price of the LS.

But I agree that there is room upward for the LS to move, but it should be done carefully, if done at all, since currently the LS is a great success.
Old 02-12-10, 06:54 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I see where you're coming from, but you didn't respond to the fact that I said all of Lexus's competition is moving downmarket. The 7 series is going to have a $70K starting price soon, and the current A8 already only cost $75K. The only one that's going to be over $85K is the S class, and who knows if Mercedes will follow BMW's lead and introduce a V6 S class for $70K.

Anyway right now, since the flagship market moving to lower price points, is the wrong time for Lexus to arbitrarily raise the price of the LS.

But I agree that there is room upward for the LS to move, but it should be done carefully, if done at all, since currently the LS is a great success.
Hey nice response and fair enough. I agree that the competition is moving downmarket. I believe the Lexus GS will be the first to move down as I hear there are rumors of a GS250. 350 and hybrid. The V8 will be reserved for F duty....the GS250 worries me the most
Old 02-12-10, 07:01 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Hey nice response and fair enough. I agree that the competition is moving downmarket. I believe the Lexus GS will be the first to move down as I hear there are rumors of a GS250. 350 and hybrid. The V8 will be reserved for F duty....the GS250 worries me the most
I'm guessing that the GS250 rumors are for Europe where all the competition is downmarket (I heard there's a BMW 525 there). For the US I can't see Lexus changing the GS line much. If it moved down it would stomp on the ES, and if it moved up it would stomp on the LS.

Anyway back to the LS. One way I beleive Lexus could move it upmarket without alienating current buyers, is if a V6 hybrid model replaced the current 460 on the bottom at $65K with a better higher grade interior than the current 460. Then a 5.0L V8 LS500 was slotted above it at $75K (more in line with the German competitors) with an even higher grade interior and an available LWB version. Then the range topping LS600hL at $100K.

That wouldn't be a bad plan to get the LS higher grade materials without increasing the base price.
Old 02-12-10, 07:01 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy crap, that looks like a freakin cross-breed of a Phantom and a Bentley. hmm....

LS460s has got my vote though, I love the LS, and I can't wait till I have the privilege to own one myself.
Old 02-12-10, 07:04 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Anyway back to the LS. One way I beleive it could move upmarket without alienating current buyers, is if a V6 hybrid model replaced the current 460 on the bottom at $65K with a better higher grade interior than the current 460. Then a 5.0L V8 LS500 was slotted above it at $75K (more in line with the German competitors) with an even higher grade interior and an available LWB version. ...Then the range topping LS600hL at $100K.
I would have absolutely no problem with any of this. Only thing is that Lexus must get the Lexus Remote Touch into the next gen LS...thats all.

Then the range topping LS600hL at $100K.
You will never see me complaining if they offer a V12, but a V12 is not end of the world.
Old 02-12-10, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
As far as price difference between LS and S class, it simply doesn't matter. One needs to realize that people that buy these cars are usually loaded, and 10-15k will not say their decision, they will buy whatever they like better - they aren't trying to knock $24.99 from their montly payment

With that being said, why doesn't Lexus equip LS460 sport with active suspension?
Good post. Not to mention MSRP means squat when the Germans lease low especially BMW.

We have data showing over 70% of 7 series cars r leased.

Also in Europe the Germans are sold as FLEET cars... Rentals.. Taxis etc

So it's completely unfair to judge the LS b/c the price is low ESPECIALLY since it has more/comparable standard features.

Old 02-12-10, 07:11 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I would have absolutely no problem with any of this. Only thing is that Lexus must get the Lexus Remote Touch into the next gen LS...thats all.

You will never see me complaining if they offer a V12, but a V12 is not end of the world.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see the end of V12s in flagships at MB/BMW/Audi. There are rumors that Mercedes won't put one in the next gen S class, and I don't see why they should. The S class is plenty prestigious as it is and some people don't even know it offers a V12. V12s should probably be left to ultra luxury brands, although even ultra-luxury brands are increasingly using V8s and V10s.

Quick Reply: Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport