Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
A V12 is inherently smoother (perfectly balanced) than any other configuration (Essentially two coupled I-6's) with a power delivery curve, torque, and acceleration, throughout the range that is in a different league. It is a very mechanically sweet and pure design and the natural engine for a luxury or high performance car. Bragging rights are irrelevant except to those whose idea of quality is numbers of cylinders and not good engineering.
Although there were a few V16's put into some luxury cars back in the late 1920s and early 1930s, it is true, in general, that as far as traditional piston-engines go, it's hard to beat a good V12 (or the VW/Audi W12) for smoothness. That's because the more power-pulses you have per unit of crankshaft rotation, the less you feel each one.

However, most engineers feel that rotary engines, such as the ones used in some Mazdas and the four-rotor Mercedes C111, represent the ultimate in internal-combustion-engine smoothness. That's one reason, among several, why the Mazda Renesis rotary has a 9000-RPM redline.

I have lived with my S600 for 2 years. I would have loved another LS but the LS600h (which I tested extensively) just could not compete - but I really wish Lexus would. I see a gap in the traffic 50 yards ahead of me... a slight pressure of my foot.. and in an instant I am there... its the next best thing to a transporter beam... the way power is delivered makes any maneuver at any speed in complete confidence. There are few if any situations I can not easily maneuver out of. The way the S600 V12 delivers power makes it simply the safest car I have ever driven and well worth the price. (And it even does 21 mpg for an almost 10 year old 3 valve engine design)

Coming back to the thread subject an Lexus V12 equivalent would be to me a true LS Sport! (And one I would seriously consider buying)
The 4.6L V8 in the current LS460, though, is already one of the smoothest piston-engines on the planet, even though it is not a V12. As you note, though, it's not the equal of the Mercedes V12 in torque, particularly the twin-turbo AMG version.

And, besides the reasons you already like your S600, you can add to them the fact that it has some of the most advcanced safety features in the industry......something that Volvo and Mercedes are known for, especially in their flagships.
Old 02-14-10, 12:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi's S8 comes equipped with a v10 (there will be another ) If Lexus did such a thing with the LFA motor & stuffed it in an LS body, then they would be in business. I would love to see comparo vids of the LS sport vs the competion.
Old 02-14-10, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Audi's S8 comes equipped with a v10 (there will be another )

There already are more V10s. They are available in the BMW M5, Dodge Viper, and some versions of the Ram pickup.
Old 02-14-10, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Computer doesn't manage valve shut down, they opened and closed by cam, which is controlled by cam/timing belt/chain.
True, but what I meant is that sometimes computers determine at what RPM that process will happen. Spinning mechanical parts, by themselves, can't determing what speeds they are spinning at......it usually takes electronics.

Furthermore, most modern engines are high compression, and therefore they are interference engines, which means that even if there was a way to keep valves open during cylinder cycles, they would get damaged by the moving pistons (like what happens when timing belt breaks on interference engines).
Some are; some aren't. If an engine is interference or non-inteference, though, that will be the case whether fuel is being fed to it or not. Either the valves/pistons collide at maximum extensions or they do not. And, yes, THAT is why it is so important to replace the timing belt at the proper interval.
Old 02-14-10, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, does anyone in this thread already own an LS460 Sport? I would imagine most of the talk for it is in the LS forum.
Old 02-14-10, 12:44 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi's S8 comes equipped with a v10 (there will be another ) If Lexus did such a thing with the LFA motor & stuffed it in an LS body, then they would be in business. I would love to see comparo vids of the LS sport vs the competion.
That could happen if a proverbial GS-F came out with a V10 and the LS also shared that V10 in a F sport model. Both would probably be modified versions of the LFA engine.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back on topic, does anyone in this thread already own an LS460 Sport? I would imagine most of the talk for it is in the LS forum.
I believe there is one new LS Sport owner in the LS forum...
Old 02-14-10, 12:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

True, but what I meant is that sometimes computers determine at what RPM that process will happen. Spinning mechanical parts, by themselves, can't determing what speeds they are spinning at......it usually takes electronics.
Not true. Valve train is purely mechanical, and spun by the timing belt/chain, which spins at whatever the speed of the crank. The computer controls fuel injection and ignition by not valve opening/closing.

Some are; some aren't. If an engine is interference or non-inteference, though, that will be the case whether fuel is being fed to it or not. Either the valves/pistons collide at maximum extensions or they do not. And, yes, THAT is why it is so important to replace the timing belt at the proper interval.
Well, most of todays engines are interference, and this is why manufacturers are abandoning the quiet timing belts with maintenance free chains.
Old 02-14-10, 01:01 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is actual video footage of the LS sport vs a Mitsubishi Evo. Click "video wiederholan"

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6529148/Lexus_vs_Leitplanke
Old 02-14-10, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not true. Valve train is purely mechanical, and spun by the timing belt/chain, which spins at whatever the speed of the crank. The computer controls fuel injection and ignition by not valve opening/closing.
I think you misunderstood my post. True, mechanical parts in an engine usually operate and spin in harmony....we agree there. But the actual RPM readout....and engine management system.....is determined by electronics; that's all I was saying.

Well, most of todays engines are interference, and this is why manufacturers are abandoning the quiet timing belts with maintenance free chains.
Actually, chains are coming back mostly from customer complaints/requests. Timing-belt replacements can be a costly, inconvienent PITA, and, with transverse-mounted engines, can involve quite a bit of labor.
Old 02-14-10, 02:31 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

There is actual video footage of the LS sport vs a Mitsubishi Evo. Click "video wiederholan"

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6529148/Lexus_vs_Leitplanke
LMFAO
Old 02-14-10, 02:41 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Actually, chains are coming back mostly from customer complaints/requests. Timing-belt replacements can be a costly, inconvienent PITA, and, with transverse-mounted engines, can involve quite a bit of labor.
Cost of changing the belt has less to do with whether the manufacturer has a belt or not and more to do with power rating. The power of most cars today require a timing chain, the power of the 5.7 (381hp) and 4.6 (380hp) and even the 3.5 (306hp) is usually a little too much for most belts....at those power rating you might as well go with a chain. That is not to say that some 300hp engines can't have a belt...its just easier to get very high power rating with a chain. Also, cost..the cost of chain design is more than that of a belt...either way the consumer bears the cost.

In the past, Toyota/Lexus engines were known for be quiet and not as well known for being powerful....it made up for less HP with lesser drivetrain loss

The maintanence free advantage of the chain is minimal in the long term operation of the vehicle as most cars these days will only see one timing belt change....perhaps maybe a second one on some occasion.....that being said my 4.7 is due for its second and my gf's 4.3 still hasn't had its first

Last edited by pagemaster; 02-14-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 02:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you misunderstood my post. True, mechanical parts in an engine usually operate and spin in harmony....we agree there. But the actual RPM readout....and engine management system.....is determined by electronics; that's all I was saying.

MY wife's TL has a timing belt and yes it is annoying to have to replace a belt. In fact I was blown away that Acura had designed the motor with a timing belt and not a timing chain.
Old 02-14-10, 02:46 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Toyota has been using belts on their interference engines for a while now.
Old 02-14-10, 03:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Toyota has been using belts on their interference engines for a while now.
Most of Toyotas interference engines with timing belt started out as non interference.
Old 02-14-10, 03:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Most of Toyotas interference engines with timing belt started out as non interference.
Are you sure?

Quick Reply: Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport