Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 03:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Are you sure?
Absolutely.
Old 02-14-10, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There is actual video footage of the LS sport vs a Mitsubishi Evo. Click "video wiederholan"

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6529148/Lexus_vs_Leitplanke
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back on topic, does anyone in this thread already own an LS460 Sport? I would imagine most of the talk for it is in the LS forum.
There seem to be either 3 or 4 owners here...one is in Atlanta that is pretty active with posting.

Audi's S8 comes equipped with a v10 (there will be another ) If Lexus did such a thing with the LFA motor & stuffed it in an LS body, then they would be in business. I would love to see comparo vids of the LS sport vs the competion.
The LFA V-10 is bespoke, the V-10 the VW group uses is shared in multiple cars, Gallardo, R10, S8, S6 and has sold maybe 10,000 or so copies.

One of the reasons the LFA costs 375k is b/c everything is made for just that car. This has been discussed in great detail.

There is actual video footage of the LS sport vs a Mitsubishi Evo. Click "video wiederholan"

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6529148/Lexus_vs_Leitplanke
That is not a vs video. It shows an EVO going what seems like 30 mph in the turn twice and a LS sport later taking the same corner in at least twice the speed.

Clearly he misjudged the corner. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-14-10, 11:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Poor fella, but I doubt that vid is an LS 460 Sport at all...it was on The Lexus Enthusiast last year, and is dated August 2009...I think it is a regular LS 460 with custom wheels, notice also how it lacks the flared rear taillights of the USF40 II LS 460 (refresh).
Old 02-15-10, 06:30 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the sport segment for big heavy sedans. I get it for smaller cars, but when it comes to big sedans I'm left scratching my head. I bought my LS460L because I was driving 12 miles one way to my downtown Seattle office in commuter traffic. When I wasn't in traffic, I was mostly on the freeway between Seattle and Orange County. I can't imagine making a choice to buy a sport model when I'm using the car in a way that is mostly stop and go. My exotic car pals think it's too sedate but that was the whole reason I bought it. After a day of chaos in the office it was wonderful to get in the car, insulate myself from the outside world, and get home without fuss. I've driven it from Seattle to Chicago twice and both trips were a pleasure. I think when car companies to try to make cars that are all things to buyers, they tend to not do anything all that well.

I read earlier posts comparing the price/value to the BMW 7 series or S class and the LS460L actually has more in common in feel with RR Phantom, even though the Phantom has a lot more mass with far fewer features. While the 7 and S are nice cars, I didn't find either as user friendly and in the end I had to think about which car would be more comfortable if I were just stuck in traffic.
Old 02-15-10, 07:06 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TommyJames
I'm not sure I understand the sport segment for big heavy sedans. I get it for smaller cars, but when it comes to big sedans I'm left scratching my head. I bought my LS460L because I was driving 12 miles one way to my downtown Seattle office in commuter traffic. When I wasn't in traffic, I was mostly on the freeway between Seattle and Orange County. I can't imagine making a choice to buy a sport model when I'm using the car in a way that is mostly stop and go. My exotic car pals think it's too sedate but that was the whole reason I bought it. After a day of chaos in the office it was wonderful to get in the car, insulate myself from the outside world, and get home without fuss. I've driven it from Seattle to Chicago twice and both trips were a pleasure. I think when car companies to try to make cars that are all things to buyers, they tend to not do anything all that well.

I read earlier posts comparing the price/value to the BMW 7 series or S class and the LS460L actually has more in common in feel with RR Phantom, even though the Phantom has a lot more mass with far fewer features. While the 7 and S are nice cars, I didn't find either as user friendly and in the end I had to think about which car would be more comfortable if I were just stuck in traffic.
Great post!
Old 02-15-10, 07:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

LS460 Sport does not make your car an BMW.

What it does it makes LS460 more enjoyable in twisties (like where i regulary drive myself) with only slight penality in comfort.

While you might not need Sport version, there are other people that do, this is why it is optional. Why have anything against choice?
Old 02-15-10, 10:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the sport segment for big heavy sedans. I get it for smaller cars, but when it comes to big sedans I'm left scratching my head.
thats why its an option package, more choices is better
Old 02-15-10, 01:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

something that needs to be said - not everyone drives only on highways with their Lexus vehicles... I live in a city surrounded by mountains, and i would in heartbeat buy an Sport version of GS as mine tends to brake apart on tight roads and 4 people inside.

Improvements that we made to LS seemed to be perfect ones for my GS as well.
Old 02-15-10, 01:49 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
something that needs to be said - not everyone drives only on highways with their Lexus vehicles... I live in a city surrounded by mountains, and i would in heartbeat buy an Sport version of GS as mine tends to brake apart on tight roads and 4 people inside.

Improvements that we made to LS seemed to be perfect ones for my GS as well.
It would be nice if the GS drove as well as the LS Sport without an additional sport package
Old 02-15-10, 01:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
It would be nice if the GS drove as well as the LS Sport without an additional sport package
GS does drive significantly better than LS as it is... I meant more of same kind of improvement with Sport version...
Old 02-15-10, 01:55 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

GS does drive significantly better than LS as it is... I meant more of same kind of improvement with Sport version...
Yeah I understand what you meant, I own a GS

I was saying that the GS should drive as well as the new Sport version of the LS without having to have an expensive sport package. I do think there should be a sport appearance package of F sport parts, but the drive should be VERY sporty even in the base model.
Old 02-15-10, 03:31 PM
LexFather

People complaining REALLY need to think here. The LS was a one engine, one size car until the new version. Now we have
SWB
LWB
hybrid
AWD
sport

All in one version. I think that is A LOT of expansion in one cycle. Hopefully Lexus continues keeping the LS to its happy core customers and expands with Sport and maybe a LS-F in the next generation.

Good post. Funny but Clarkson said the same thing a few months ago in the Top Gear mag editorial. He is tired of every car riding on low profiles and harsh. Where are the comfy cars?

Old 02-15-10, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yeah I understand what you meant, I own a GS

I was saying that the GS should drive as well as the new Sport version of the LS without having to have an expensive sport package. I do think there should be a sport appearance package of F sport parts, but the drive should be VERY sporty even in the base model.
very is tricky term ;-)
Old 02-15-10, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. someone earlier said that they have ES for comfy and GS should be sporty... but ES and GS are not same level of vehicles, despite the size. I would never buy an ES.
Old 02-15-10, 03:50 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

p.s. someone earlier said that they have ES for comfy and GS should be sporty... but ES and GS are not same level of vehicles, despite the size. I would never buy an ES.
You make a great point.

But for most people they don't see a big difference between the ES and GS because most people don't really care if their car is FWD or RWD.

That's why people hear are saying that stuff. In actuality the ES is the comfort alternative to the IS not the GS, but for most they see the size of the ES and GS and automatically compare them.

The next gen GS needs to be clearly and markedly better/nicer vehicle than the ES. The ES as it is now is a VERY NICE car and to most its "nice enough" for them, hence why a LOT more people buy the cheaper ES over GS.

The next GS needs to be very sporty and give buyers a unique driving experience that woos them away from the cheaper ES. It needs to be so unique and special that it puts the 5 series to shame. In addition to that it needs to much more luxurious on the inside (kinda like the pics of the Toyota Crown you posted last week in another thread).

The GS needs to be a Lexus people lust after and choose over anything else.

Quick Reply: Road & Track on the Lexus LS460 Sport