Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat Abarth 500C debuting next month. Fiat 500 for sale in U.S. by end of year.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 08:29 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50000 units a year equal to 4167 units a month. That's about the current monthly sales of Honda Fit, give or take several hundreds. The first year might be a hit, so possible in my opinion. As the freshness dies down, sales might drop dramatically.
Old 08-31-10, 09:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally don't see it being a hit, but I might be wrong. The Russian Top Gear did an extensive test on it, and found it miserably slow. I doubt it will suit American driving style.
Old 08-31-10, 10:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No interest in ownership here.
Old 09-01-10, 09:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Let's see how the quality turns out.
Old 09-01-10, 09:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think the brand will do well in the states. Its trendy to drive "green" cars so the gas sipping as well as the Italian name and new and unique design for US buyers. I think the Abarth version will be a nice competitor to the mini cooper. There are many small cars on the market but nothing that matches the mini cooper's design and quality. Most small cars feel like cheap econo boxes. The mini cooper feels like a very small premium car. I am thinking the 500 will feel similar
This and the Mini are not "Green" cars. Small car sales are down 16%. They are not even super fuel efficient either.

Old 09-01-10, 10:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Cartoon cars" have a history of limitations in the US market, with erratic or flavor of the month sales.
Old 09-01-10, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
"Cartoon cars" have a history of limitations in the US market, with erratic or flavor of the month sales.
Yup. Smart sales are completely down the tubes. Gas is relatively stable and "Cheap".

This is nice, the Abarth has gotten great reviews but its going to struggle.

Old 09-01-10, 02:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

they are smoking crack...
Old 09-01-10, 03:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

A "2 for 1 special" would move that many in the US, without crack.
Old 09-01-10, 04:14 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
via AFAIK this car doesn't perform as well as the Mini
People rarely buy these cars for "performance". The MINI Cooper and Fiat 500, even in Europe, are lifestyle cars. What matters here is style, cuteness-factor etc.

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
nor as famous of a heritage.
?

Old 09-01-10, 06:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like the original FIAT 500 borrowed its styling and was mechanically similar to Hitlers WV Beetle. It also had a Russian sibling, the ZAZ 965.

Old 09-01-10, 08:10 PM
LexFather

No one in AMERICA knows the Fiat 500 heritage. Retro Mustang/Camaro yes, retro Fiat 500= huh

Old 09-01-10, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No one in AMERICA knows the Fiat 500 heritage. Retro Mustang/Camaro yes, retro Fiat 500= huh
My late father had plans, when I was in high-school, to get me an old used 500 as a starter-car to practice on (apparantly it was in pretty bad shape). When he and I went out to look at it, he called those plans off pretty quickly. I ended up getting a much nicer, but still used, Plymouth Barracuda instead.
Old 09-14-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

The Fiat 500 Sport – Arriving Soon to America

September 14, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The reborn and reimagined Fiat 500 is arriving soon to America. Born in Italy, perfectly tailored for America, the Cinquecento is as vibrant and engaging as it is fit and nimble. The Sport model, featured in these images, illustrates Fiat's smart and stylish design aesthetic. Like the original Fiat 500 a half-century ago, the new Cinquecento continues its timeless value while embracing individual expression and opportunity – all infused with world-class craftsmanship.

The Cinquecento offers unique adaptations for the North American market and is designed for individuals who demand that style and fashion can coexist with practicality and functionality. Matching its sport-tuned suspension, the Fiat 500 Sport features athletically styled front and rear fascias with a larger grille and flared aerodynamic treatment. Between its unique 16-inch aluminum wheels with Mineral Gray painted pockets, the Cinquecento incorporates new body-side sill cladding for an enhanced sport appearance.

Completing this athletic vehicle's appearance are Performance Red painted brake calipers, a chromed exhaust tip and gloss black shadow-line window trim. The Fiat 500 Sport also features an available SkyDome power sun roof for an ultra-open view of the world. The Fiat 500 will be also available in the Pop and Lounge models with unique exterior cues and different equipment options.

The world-class 1.4-liter engine with Fiat's state-of-the-art MultiAir™ technology powers the Fiat 500 Sport. MultiAir significantly reduces emissions while improving fuel economy and power delivery by up to 10 percent when compared to similar engines.

The Fiat 500's technology, driving dynamics and interior features have been intelligently adapted for the North American market, and it will offer small-car buyers a stylish, high-value alternative. The all-new Fiat 500 will be available for ordering later this year in the Sport, Pop and Lounge models, followed by the all-new Fiat 500C (cabrio) in the spring of 2011.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/c...north-america/

Old 09-14-10, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There's supposed to be (at least according to Chrysler), an all-electric, battery-powered 500 next year, too. I'm surprised the article didn't mention that. It will compete with the Nissan Leaf and the new Mitsubishi all-electric.

Quick Reply: Fiat Abarth 500C debuting next month. Fiat 500 for sale in U.S. by end of year.