Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat Abarth 500C debuting next month. Fiat 500 for sale in U.S. by end of year.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 07:18 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Fiat Abarth 500C debuting next month. Fiat 500 for sale in U.S. by end of year.

Some exciting news developments for fans of the Fiat 500.

From 500freaks.com

From the Italian auto publication Quattrorouote, there’s confirmation that the Abarth Fiat 500C convertible will be revealed and make its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show early next month!

Expect the Abarth 500C convertible to have the same motor (1.4L turbo gas), tuned suspension, and appearance as the Abarth 500 hatchback, sans fixed metal roof. -- http://www.500freaks.com/?p=23549
Ralph Gilles, Vice President of Design at Chrysler, has just confirmed today that DaimlerChrysler-Fiat’s goal is to have the Fiat 500 on sale in the U.S. by the end of 2010! He confirmed this to the Chicago Economic Club.

So far, all news and info points to all four Fiat 500 variants coming to the U.S. at some point — including the standard hatchback, the 500C convertible, the Giardinetta wagon version, and the 500 Abarth (including hopefully its convertible version). There’s also been some rumors of a small crossover version. By no coincidence, this entire range of variants mirrors that of the Mini lineup -- http://www.500freaks.com/?p=23558
Old 02-12-10, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, the Chrysler reps at the D.C. Auto Show also indicated (if possible) a U.S.-market introduction within 12-18 months. Fiat had 3 new 500s on display there...a base car, an Abarth, and an all-electric model (but no actual reps).
Old 02-12-10, 09:48 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

We have these types of cars all over in Vancouver; up here, as soon as you cross a bridge and you're out of the city it's back to bigger cars and trucks. I imagine vehicle choice is similar in the US (?)

So what I'm wondering is: do people buy these licorice allsort cars? or is it really just for the larger/metropolitain cities?
Old 02-12-10, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
We have these types of cars all over in Vancouver; up here, as soon as you cross a bridge and you're out of the city it's back to bigger cars and trucks. I imagine vehicle choice is similar in the US (?)

So what I'm wondering is: do people buy these licorice allsort cars? or is it really just for the larger/metropolitain cities?
Well, of course, it's no secret that cars like the 500 drive and function best in urban or semi-urban environments, where parking space and manuvering room is at its greatest premium. In general, they are just not big or comfortable enough to be suitable for long trips.
Old 02-12-10, 10:13 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

What I'm really curious to see is if these cars will be as popular as Minis in the U.S. I don't think anyone would have prediceted the Mini would be as popular in the US as it's been, so it'll be interesting to see how the 500's sell here.
Old 02-12-10, 12:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am happy to see that they didnt leave the Abarth version of the 500 back in europe. They usually leave all of the cool stuff in europe. I am also happy to see that there will be Italian cars on the road more frequently . I just hope they have built and designed them to be able to compete with the Japanese reliability
Old 02-12-10, 10:59 PM
LexFather

Love it but it will be priced out of its market here and it is NOT some Chrysler savior.

Old 02-13-10, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotaryrock
What I'm really curious to see is if these cars will be as popular as Minis in the U.S. I don't think anyone would have prediceted the Mini would be as popular in the US as it's been, so it'll be interesting to see how the 500's sell here.
I've said for many years, both on and off CL, that small hatchbacks would sell here in America. I think that the auto companies just didn't want to believe it, or to try selling them here, simply because, for years, there was little profit in them, especially in the base models like the old Civic CX and Mazda 323 hatchbacks. Manufacturers obviously want to sell high-profit vehicles, even if the public sometimes is willing to buy otherwise.

We saw the same thing with upmarket nameplates, too. GM, for example, dropped almost all of the traditional Saab hatchbacks and replaced them with sedan-based "world" platforms....and the result was a marked sales downturn. It even hampered the sale of the Subaru Impreza-based 9-2X hatchback, because, by then, people just weren't going into Saab showrooms any more.

Mercedes and BMW withdrew their small C230 and 318 hatchbacks from America, too, for no apparent reason (except maybe profit). They were selling OK, but apparantly didn't have the markups or profit margins of larger models.

Audi refused, for years, to bring the A3 hatchback to American shores, but, once it did, sales were fine...Americans seem to like it. Even so, Audi still keeps the 3-door hatchback version overseas, selling only the 5-door version here.

So, in a nutshell, the long-held idea that hatchbacks, especially small, lower-priced ones, won't sell here is nonsense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-10 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 06:19 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I am so looking forward to seeing this car in the U.S.!
Old 02-13-10, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I am so looking forward to seeing this car in the U.S.!

25 years ago, it was the other way around.....the American public couldn't wait to see Fiat LEAVE.

Hopefully, in the intervening years, Fiat will have addressed the notorious quality/reliability problems that dogged it years ago. The 500s I looked at, up on a turntable at the D.C. Auto Show, seemed reasonably well-done in fit/finish, but I wasn't able to actually sit inside one or examine it closely. And, of course, that still wouldn't gauge long-term reliability.

Even the worst of automakers can seriously improve their products, though, if they put their minds to it. Hyundai and Kia certainly proved that. And, more recently, GM and Ford have joined the club, despite GM's bankrupcy.
Old 08-31-10, 06:19 PM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Lightbulb Fiat aims to sell 50k Fiat 500 cars in US in 2011

via 500FREAKS

A report out of the Associated Press has Fiat’s 2011 U.S. sales target for the Fiat 500 at 50,000 units. Fiat hopes to achieve this though a network of 165 dealers, which will mostly be located in cities with the largest projected small car markets. Ambitious plan? Certainly, considering BMW sells approximately 50,000 Minis annually.

The U.S. version of the Fiat 500 will be unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November and will be positioned as a direct competitor to BMW’s Mini, according to these people, who did not want to be identified since the briefing is not public. Chrysler also plans to introduce an electric version of the Fiat 500 in 2012, they said. -- http://www.500freaks.com/?p=26599
I really think that's a way lofty goal. AFAIK this car doesn't perform as well as the Mini, nor as famous of a heritage. Maybe price is the only thing going for it. Anyone think they'll actually sell 50,000 of these cars in the first year alone?
Old 08-31-10, 06:31 PM
LexFather

Do they sell that many Mini's? Did Mini sell that well initially?
I hope that small things gets better MPG.

I just don't see Fiat really making moves here. I think people would rather Alpha Romeo come back

Old 08-31-10, 06:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the Fiat 500 is more of a VW Beetle competitor, not Mini.
Old 08-31-10, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The all-electric model, if marketed correctly, will (likely) be a big hit with the Greenies. The last time an all-electric from a mainstream manufacturer (the GM Impact) was offered in the U.S., the absurdy-restrictive marketing and leasing conditions were a disaster. Chrysler, this time, will (hopefully) make the car available to the general public, and avoid the ill-fated Impact's problem.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-10 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 07:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the brand will do well in the states. Its trendy to drive "green" cars so the gas sipping as well as the Italian name and new and unique design for US buyers. I think the Abarth version will be a nice competitor to the mini cooper. There are many small cars on the market but nothing that matches the mini cooper's design and quality. Most small cars feel like cheap econo boxes. The mini cooper feels like a very small premium car. I am thinking the 500 will feel similar

Quick Reply: Fiat Abarth 500C debuting next month. Fiat 500 for sale in U.S. by end of year.