Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which sedan for a daily driver???
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Tech
25.00%
Nissan Maxima SV Premium
20.83%
Infiniti G37x sport
54.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Daily driver- sedan- what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 07:03 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's no question that the Genesis sedan has a nice interior and a great warranty, but, for daily driving in a Wisconsin winter, I think that, of the three cars you mention, the G37x is the obvious choice. The Maxima, I believe, also comes with a CVT of questionable durability.

But, before you sign on the dotted line, check out the Lexus IS250AWD (though its low power and tight back seat may be too small for you), the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL AWD, and Ford Taurus AWD. The overall build quality of the Buick and Ford, though not up to Infiniti levels, is OK, especially compared to past models, and, of course, you won't go wrong with an AWD Subaru Legacy 3.6R.
Mike, my previous car to my Sonata was a IS250AWD... loved it, but slow, although the JoeZ intake helped a lot!!!

Valentine's Day weekend has delayed my project... but that's okay!!

3.6R.... truly... is it in this class??????

Update- 08 335xi pre-owned falls into the under $40K field...
Old 02-13-10, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Mike, my previous car to my Sonata was a IS250AWD... loved it, but slow, although the JoeZ intake helped a lot!!!
Yes, the IS250AWD is somewhat of a slowpoke....more or less comparable to AWD automatic-transmission Subarus that have the N/A same-sized engine (2.5L) and AWD. Speed, of course, is not necessarily the issue with AWD and small engines, but traction.

Valentine's Day weekend has delayed my project... but that's okay!!
Agreed....you married a lady, not a car. Do something nice for her....dinner, flowers, a box of candy; whatever you think she would like best.

3.6R.... truly... is it in this class??????
The 3.6R Legacy is a pretty nice sedan. I recommend it primarily because the 2.5L comes with the CVT (or a 6MT), and I'm not sure I trust the CVT until it shows some kind of record of durability....it is brand-new and untested, though it supposedly comes from the same supplier as Nissan units.

As far as the question of being "in this class", I would say yes compared to the Maxima; probably no with the G37.

Update- 08 335xi pre-owned falls into the under $40K field...
A new 335xi would probably run more than you would want to spend (45-50K), but, IMO there are few vehicles that are more pleasant to drive....it is a true driver's car in every sense. Yes, a used one might be worth looking at.......but keep in mind that they have had fuel-pump and electronic issues.

I've said before that, IMO, the 335, in general, is a better buy, dollar-for-dollar than an M3, which is probably better on a track, but noticeably harsher than the 335 on the street. I reviewed both a RWD 335i (47K) and an M3 (63K) in 2008, and, for daily use, would have chosen the 335 in a heartbeat.
Old 02-14-10, 04:45 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I think he mentioned "pre-owned" 335xi.
Old 02-14-10, 05:15 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...A new 335xi would probably run more than you would want to spend (45-50K), but, IMO there are few vehicles that are more pleasant to drive....it is a true driver's car in every sense. Yes, a used one might be worth looking at.......but keep in mind that they have had fuel-pump and electronic issues.

I've said before that, IMO, the 335, in general, is a better buy, dollar-for-dollar than an M3, which is probably better on a track, but noticeably harsher than the 335 on the street. I reviewed both a RWD 335i (47K) and an M3 (63K) in 2008, and, for daily use, would have chosen the 335 in a heartbeat.
Originally Posted by IS350jet
^^ I think he mentioned "pre-owned" 335xi.
Yes, but CPO only and the pump issue has, does, and always will concern me
Old 02-14-10, 05:44 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but CPO only and the pump issue has, does, and always will concern me
Only in the last year was that corrected( I think with the late 09) models....
I'm surprised I see no CPO'd 3rd Gen GS...
And no TL either...You can get them for about 30k in Socal decently equipped, A friend of mine just got a White pearl one for 31k OTD.
Old 02-14-10, 05:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
You can get great deals on every hyundai. not just genesis. lol

i bought my santa fe 5000 below MSRP. my wife almost bought a 06 sonata LX everything on it except roof for 18.7k OTD 4 years ago. my wife now drives 09 elantra. msrp was like 18k, bought it for 15k OTD.

Obviously you never shopped hyundai before.
Obviously you can get great deals on many Hyundai models, but just because you and your wife got those specific deals does not mean ALL Hyundai dealers offer this.

Regardless of whether you have shopped for a car before, dealership deals greatly vary depending on where you live, and what dealership you go to.

I can pretty much guarantee you Hyundai did not have a national rebate program offering $5000 off the Sante Fe MSRP, or $3000 off the Elantra's MSRP.

On Hyundai's website, there are no national rebate deals anywhere close to $5000 off MSRP.
Old 02-14-10, 05:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
And no TL either...You can get them for about 30k in Socal decently equipped, A friend of mine just got a White pearl one for 31k OTD.
Nope,the pumps in the 10's are failing too.
Old 02-14-10, 06:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
TL is on the list as well... my original post is for NEW car purchase, but I have a couple pre-owned options if I go that route

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nope,the pumps in the 10's are failing too.
Yep, that's why I shy away, they cannot find a fix, either they work or fail, no in-between... the 328xi is a better bet if I go BMW

As always, thx much guys, you all confirm my thoughts.... the last year's research and test drives are finally coming to fruition
Old 02-14-10, 06:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

TL is on the list as well... my original post is for NEW car purchase, but I have a couple pre-owned options if I go that route

:
The last generation TL is a very nice car.If Honda stayed somewhat with that style instead of the ugly new design,I would have been very interested in buying a '10.

As far as the 335,there's a new pump with the last 3 digits of 943 but it seems dealer service are still installing their stock of 881's.
The 943 still may not work as it's the 3rd or 4th pump fix try.
I feel it isn't the pump.It's something to do with the sensors or other issue in the fuel delivery and a too expensive fix for BMW.
The 335 also has fuel injector issues.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-14-10 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 06:40 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Obviously you can get great deals on many Hyundai models, but just because you and your wife got those specific deals does not mean ALL Hyundai dealers offer this.

Regardless of whether you have shopped for a car before, dealership deals greatly vary depending on where you live, and what dealership you go to.

I can pretty much guarantee you Hyundai did not have a national rebate program offering $5000 off the Sante Fe MSRP, or $3000 off the Elantra's MSRP.

On Hyundai's website, there are no national rebate deals anywhere close to $5000 off MSRP.

it's a common sense that hyundai gives out better deal than 'better' brands. they have too. and not just genesis. on all models. but
don't take my word for it. there are over 1500 total pages on people talking about hyundai price paid and buying experience.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...index=.ef040b2

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...index=.ef02148

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...index=.eea4b83

you will notice a common theme. Hyundai can be easily had well below MSRP. is it a factual proof? no. i have no reason not to believe these posts though. also when they try to move cars from the lot, it's usually $2000-$3000 rebates on all models. i'm a real life witness and many of my friends including my families bought hyundais and they give out great deals on cars. people will call your name if you just buy hyundai MSRP - rebates. that would be considered a huge failure. it's always rebates + dealer discount + good negotiation skills = $3500-$5000 discount

Last edited by joe80; 02-14-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 06:50 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joe80
it's a common sense that hyundai gives out better deal than 'better' brands. they have too.
It depends on what part of the country you live in. Business is good in southern California such that dealers mark up the price $5000 above MSRP.

I rented a G37 once. It is super sweet. I think you should get that.
Old 02-14-10, 07:03 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

http://www.realcartips.com/2008-Hyundai-Santa+Fe-Prices
Hyundai's best selling SUV Santa Fe - Average Savings off MSRP - 21.52%

http://www.realcartips.com/2008-Hyundai-Veracruz-Prices
Veracruz - Average Savings off MSRP 13.53%

is this mean your theory is completely wrong?

http://www.realcartips.com/2009-Hyundai-Sonata-Prices
-sonata - Average Savings off MSRP 22.54% $5,208

Last edited by joe80; 02-14-10 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 07:08 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Haitwun
It depends on what part of the country you live in. Business is good in southern California such that dealers mark up the price $5000 above MSRP.

I rented a G37 once. It is super sweet. I think you should get that.
I am going to laugh at a fool who paid 5k over MSRP for a Genesis.
Old 02-14-10, 10:04 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
I am going to laugh at a fool who paid 5k over MSRP for a Genesis.
Everyone would laugh

I think its been mentioned, but how about an A4?
Old 02-14-10, 11:37 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lamar411
Everyone would laugh

I think its been mentioned, but how about an A4?
I ordered a S5 last Feb, dealer never secured it (sad story) so I cancelled... I have been looking at older S4s as well... but big issues again... RELIABILITY... business associate has one, would not get another...

A4 (new) is still north of $50K

Quick Reply: Daily driver- sedan- what would you choose?