Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Is Said to Discuss Rebates, Warranties to Lure Customers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 11:10 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Is Said to Discuss Rebates, Warranties to Lure Customers

Feb. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. is considering longer warranties and cash discounts to woo U.S. consumers after recalls that forced the automaker to halt sales of eight models, dealer executives familiar with the talks said.

Ideas being considered include warranties of as long as 10 years and rebates of thousands of dollars per vehicle that would start in March, said three executives from retailer groups with Toyota franchises. They declined to be identified because the discussions are private.

“Toyota has got to be aggressive on this,” Mike Maroone, chief operating officer of AutoNation Inc., the biggest U.S. retailer of the automaker’s vehicles, said in an interview yesterday at an industry conference in Orlando, Florida. “Toyota has to put a wall around its customers.”

Boosting incentives might help Toyota keep customers as it tries to recover from recalls linked to unwanted acceleration that included about 8 million vehicles worldwide. The Toyota City, Japan-based company’s U.S. sales fell 16 percent in January while the industry total rose 6.3 percent.

Mike Michels, a spokesman at Toyota’s U.S. sales unit in Torrance, California, wouldn’t comment about any planned incentives. Maroone also declined to discuss details of the plan.

Toyota’s American depositary receipts rose $1.05, or 1.4 percent, to $77.05 yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The automaker has declined 8.4 percent this year.

Like Hyundai

In 1998 Hyundai Motor Co. offered an industry-leading 10- year warranty on the engine and transmission of its vehicles to neutralize consumer worries about durability. Hyundai said in 2006 it would continue the warranty at least through 2010.

The U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee, headed by California Democrat Henry Waxman, is among three congressional panels that have scheduled hearings on Toyota’s recalls and their handling by the Transportation Department. The hearings are scheduled for Feb. 24 through March 2.

Toyota won’t offer a new warranty program until the hearings are complete, said one of the executives.

To contact the reporters on this story: Doron Levin in Southfield, Michigan, at Dlevin5@bloomberg.net

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4iMAT.oY&pos=2
Old 02-13-10, 04:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

10/100000 is def nice.

and they probably won't have many warranty claims anyway. the engines are solid.
Old 02-13-10, 06:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know about 10/100,000 but they should go to 4/50,000 or 5/60,000 immediately.
Old 02-13-10, 07:59 AM
xioix
Racer

I wonder when the discount will start and when it will end, I'm waiting for the FT-86
Old 02-13-10, 10:15 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

They should start the warranties at 60k
Old 02-13-10, 02:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
I wonder when the discount will start and when it will end, I'm waiting for the FT-86
discounts will be on current models with a sales dip, not a brand new model.
Old 02-13-10, 03:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Rumor has it that Hyundai might reduce their warranty in the next few years.

It would be the ultimate irony if Hyundai reduced their warranty while Toyota increased their warranty .
Old 02-13-10, 04:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's premature for them to even consider it.

Long warranties like Hyundai's suggest a troubled past that needs to be put to rest and shows a backing by a desperate company. That's NOT Toyota.

If people are too ignorant to think that Toyota's now suck because of a few mundane recalls, then that's their problem. Still though, going forward if Toyota can avoid more recalls and goes back to their bullet proof reputation, customers will be plentiful. It's one bad year out of decades of excellence. Most other automakers have survived many, many bad years. Actually ALL automakers except Toyota and Honda have chunks of history with bad quality/reliability records (Toyota and Honda as well if you count their early starting years).

It's just silly to think Toyota needs to do what Hyundai needed to do to win customers.

Afterall, people buy Toyota's because they don't need warranties.

Toyota could offer 200,000 mile power train warranties and the claims would still be minuscule.
Old 02-13-10, 06:52 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Rumor has it that Hyundai might reduce their warranty in the next few years.

It would be the ultimate irony if Hyundai reduced their warranty while Toyota increased their warranty .
never heard of that rumor. where did you hear that?
Old 02-13-10, 06:54 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

anyway, i bet it's a great time to buy a toyota. i would own toyota salesman with my negotiation skills.
Old 02-13-10, 06:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!

It's just silly to think Toyota needs to do what Hyundai needed to do to win customers.
not WIN customers.....RETAIN customers
Old 02-13-10, 07:05 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they do, I expect them to up customers who bought within the last 3-4 months as well for customers who just purchased 2010 models. I'm already at 6K after 2 months so I'll hit the 3 year, 30000 mile pretty fast (I think that was it...)
Old 02-13-10, 07:13 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

10/100k warranty would help toyota alot. toyota has to do whatever it takes to keep their valued customers. 10/100k warranty has a tremendous psychological impact.

Last edited by joe80; 02-13-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Long warranties like Hyundai's suggest a troubled past that needs to be put to rest and shows a backing by a desperate company. That's NOT Toyota.

If people are too ignorant to think that Toyota's now suck because of a few mundane recalls, then that's their problem. Still though, going forward if Toyota can avoid more recalls and goes back to their bullet proof reputation, customers will be plentiful. It's one bad year out of decades of excellence. Most other automakers have survived many, many bad years. Actually ALL automakers except Toyota and Honda have chunks of history with bad quality/reliability records (Toyota and Honda as well if you count their early starting years).

Toyota could offer 200,000 mile power train warranties and the claims would still be minuscule.
Fantastic post

Old 02-13-10, 09:09 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

after all this recalls after recalls do you still think toyota is a bulletproof, problem free car? I got rid of my 03 accord coupe at 35k because it started to make annoying little problems. maybe mine was a lemon, but i believe no car is safe at any miles no matter what brand it is. i've seen plenty of camry buyers complaining in their forums.

Toyota can't afford to be cocky. medias already did enough damage to toyota's brand image. i wouldn't be shocked if toyota do something drastic this year. they need to eat a humble pie and do whatever it takes to keep customers. giving out better warranty will only help their image. it only means that they are confident.

Quick Reply: Toyota Is Said to Discuss Rebates, Warranties to Lure Customers