Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Committed to Tundra Despite Slowing Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 05:16 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Play nice kiddies. If you cant, go start stuff at Honda forums.
Old 02-13-10, 05:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Feb 14th, make love, not war ;-).

I doubt Toyota will stop with Tundra ever... LC is still going on and it has economies of scale that are much smaller...
Old 02-13-10, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I doubt Toyota will stop with Tundra ever... LC is still going on and it has economies of scale that are much smaller...
LC? I Don't follow you.

Keep one thing in mind, though. No matter how good (or bad) the Tundra design is (or how much Toyota changes it), it is enormously difficult to get domestic truck owners out their pickups...especially F-150's. F-150 and Silverado owners are a notoriously loyal group......arguably the most loyal in the industry. So are Dodge Ram owners, too, but to a slightly lesser extent.......based mostly on the truck's macho styling. So, any way you look at it, the Tundra, as with the Nissan Titan, still has its work cut out for it integrating into the American marketplace.
Old 02-13-10, 06:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
LC? I Don't follow you.

Keep one thing in mind, though. No matter how good (or bad) the Tundra design is (or how much Toyota changes it), it is enormously difficult to get domestic truck owners out their pickups...especially F-150's. F-150 and Silverado owners are a notoriously loyal group......arguably the most loyal in the industry. So are Dodge Ram owners, too, but to a slightly lesser extent.......based mostly on the truck's macho styling. So, any way you look at it, the Tundra, as with the Nissan Titan, still has its work cut out for it integrating into the American marketplace.
landcruiser
Old 02-13-10, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
landcruiser
Thanks. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

The Land Cruiser, for Toyota, is too much of a tradition to quit. I agree with spwolf, however, that the econoimies of scale are quite low, even if you take in its brother Lexus LX570 with it. But, compared to the somewhat flimsy 2Gen Tundra, the Land Cruiser is built like a rock and finished like a Swiss watch. I reviewed one not too long ago (at some $72K), and it was, hands-down, the most impressively-built Toyota-nameplate vehicle I had ever driven. Believe it or not, I actually thought it was better than the LX570 in some ways. It also excelled in comfort, which is unusual for a hard-core off-roader....although the elegant but unreliable British Land Rover also combines mountain-goat off-roadability with comfort.

To be fair to the Tundra, though, Toyota does seem to have made some improvements lately to the 2Gen model, even without a major redesign. Some of the hardware, especially, seems a little sturdier now, and the formerly flimsy tailgate has gotten some reinforcement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 07:16 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that Toyota will ever discontinue the Tundra especially after having made such inroads in the construction industry; the primary users of these vehicles besides the farming community. During the last few years in my business travels thru Middle East, I have seen a whole lot more Tundras, whereas these markets were before dominated by Ford and GM pickups. I really see Toyota in the near future coming out with diesel Tundra riding on the coattails of their highly successful Hilux models available overseas.