Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sedan drives optimism of Porsche dealers in 2010 (Q&A format)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Default Sedan drives optimism of Porsche dealers in 2010 (Q&A format)

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...302149993/1379

Sedan drives optimism of Porsche dealers in 2010

Automotive News -- February 13, 2010 - 12:01 am ET

Not even the performance category escaped 2009 unscathed. Sales at Porsche Cars North America fell 24 percent. But dealers are hoping the Panamera sedan, which arrived in the showrooms in the fall, will spark a stronger 2010.

Porsche dealers sold 1,247 Panameras last year, and they are beginning to see a new category of shoppers in their showrooms: people who might have gone for a Mercedes-Benz or Lexus sedan.

Jerry Nelson, a member of the Porsche Dealer Board of Regents, spoke with Staff Reporter Leslie J. Allen about the outlook for 2010 and the recent merger of Porsche Automobil Holding SE with Volkswagen AG.

How will the merger with Volkswagen affect Porsche?

I don't think it's going to have any impact, certainly not in the immediate future, at all. Audi has been owned by Volkswagen for some time, and Audi is an autonomous entity that designs and builds its own vehicles for its particular market.

If anything, I see this merger as being a help with Porsche and Volkswagen. If there was any car manufacturer that Porsche should have merged with, it definitely should have been Volkswagen. They already have been partners in many areas, and this will only strengthen both positions.

It'll help Porsche, who has been a small manufacturer for a long time, [gain] access to much stronger buying power being merged with VW. So frankly I see it as nothing but a win-win for both.

I know that a lot of people were concerned that Porsche would no longer be autonomous, but that's just not going to be the truth. Volkswagen will allow Porsche to be Porsche.

What will the Panamera sports car do for Porsche dealers?

It's gotten off to a terrific start. Sales are brisk all around the country. We have orders right now we can't fill. It's been a very strong launch.

It's given us access to a customer we never had access to prior, and it seems to be running across several segments. We're getting Mercedes people, BMW customers, even Lexus customers, as well as prior Porsche people coming in to look and to purchase the vehicle.

What is your outlook for sales this year?

There's no question that the worst is behind us. We very definitely have seen an upturn. This is the fifth recession that I've been through in business, and my own personal barometer as to when it's over is when I see the heavy hitters, the people who are quite well-off, come out of the woodwork and start to spend money. They're usually ahead of the curve of most other people.

How was 2009 for Porsche dealers?

Sales certainly were off, as was the entire industry. However, with the Panamera being all additional sales and not cannibalizing from any other of our models, that's all plus business. With the market now starting to turn around, this year looks far brighter.

What are the big issues for Porsche dealers?

Paying attention to inventory levels as well as preparing for some new product: the V-6 Panamera, which debuts this summer, as well as the updated Cayenne.

Are dealers satisfied with Porsche?

Absolutely. If you see the NADA survey, while we've had a challenging year last year, historically this brand's been a very strong brand with a very loyal following of customers. And now that sales have begun to return, everybody is going to feel a lot more positive about the franchise.

Are Porsche dealers profitable? Do you expect to be profitable in 2010?

For ourselves, we are, but that would really be a question you'd have to ask the manufacturer.

What are Porsche dealers doing to attract more service business?

This is a discussion that is taking place right now on the board of regents. We're actually looking at several different options with programs that will keep and maintain our current service base as well as attract customers who in the past would have gone to aftermarket service centers.

Can you give me an example?

One possibility is offering customers maintenance programs for their vehicles.

How difficult has it been to get Porsche customers financed?

By and large, we really haven't seen any huge differences. There has been some slight tightening by some of the creditors. However, by and large, our customers traditionally have strong credit histories.

That must be a relief.

It was, absolutely. We see a little tiny change, but nothing on the grand scale that's out there right now. Porsche Financial Services is working well with the dealers.

What does the factory need to do to help you sell more vehicles?

Continue to pinpoint the best ways, in this electronic age, to reach the rather small segment of the market that we service and, through marketing, to reach larger segments that we know that we can penetrate. An example is: How do we successfully reach the S-class customer with the new Panamera?

Does Porsche have the right number of dealers?

From my knowledge, Porsche feels they have the right number of dealers, and there are no plans to shrink or expand the dealer network.

What's missing in the product lineup?

Frankly, I thought we would never offer four-door products. And now that we have, it not only has helped, but it has helped significantly to strengthen the brand. Porsche continues to offer the kind of products that our performance-oriented customers want. Both the Cayenne and the Panamera have silenced those critics who thought Porsche could only offer high-performance sports cars, and both continue to be successful.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0fRa1uvFn

Old 02-13-10, 11:56 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also believe the Panamera will boost Porsche sales. I've seen a couple in person and they are more attractive than in pics.
Since many of us here also visit www.6speedonline.com you know the talk about the car being ugly is changing. All it took was for the addition of wheels that fit. The car has hige fender wells and can easily handle 21 or 22's. The car is instantly transformed, especially with a drop and the spoiler raised. I like it and it seems many others are warming up to it.
Old 02-13-10, 12:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I have long said that Porsche needs cars like Panamera... there was never any sense in sending your customers to MB/BMW/Lexus...