Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler should be like Apple, Gilles says

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 11:00 AM
LexFather

Post Chrysler should be like Apple, Gilles says

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...100219970/1156

Chrysler should be like Apple, Gilles says
Bradford Wernle
Automotive News -- February 11, 2010 - 4:49 pm ET
image Print image Email image Reprints
27 comments

Ralph Gilles on the next generation Chrysler 300: “Hopefully, when you see that car, grown men and women will have tears running from their eyes."

CHICAGO -- Chrysler Group, known as the inventor of the minivan and SUV, aspires to regain its own spirit of innovation by emulating Apple Computer.

That was the vision for Chrysler's future outlined by Ralph Gilles, Chrysler's chief design officer and the CEO of the Dodge brand, in a speech today. Gilles said his hero is Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO.

On short notice, Gilles filled in for Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, who was called away to sign a deal creating a joint venture to produce vehicles in Russia. Gilles spoke at the Economic Club of Chicago's annual Chicago Auto Show luncheon.

In Marchionne's absence, he paid tribute to his boss, saying Marchionne had given Chrysler the tools and inspiration to return the company to greatness.

Gilles provided tantalizing glimpses of future products, including the next-generation Chrysler 300 sedan, due in December.

“Hopefully, when you see that car, grown men and women will have tears running from their eyes,” Gilles said. “Hopefully, when you see that, you will say, ‘Go, America.' ”

He also showed pictures of the next-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee, due in three months.

Gilles talked of winning over a new generation of “millennial” customers, people more interested in social networking than how a car looks. Gilles said his design studios are now filled with designers in their early 20s who “understand the market better than I could ever hope to.”

Gilles cited Chrysler's great heritage of inventing segments but said regaining that magic would not be enough.

“The problem is that every one of those vehicles were one-hit wonders,” he said, referring to vehicles such as the Chrysler Pacifica. “We can't do that anymore. The philosophy at Chrysler is to do every vehicle that way.”

Chrysler wants to get away from designing “me, too” vehicles that look like everything else.

“Branded design is everything -- separating into four distinct brands. We've had too much overlap, too many products that were alike.

“The fear for me is that the automobile becomes a commodity. That's the first nail in the coffin of every product. Our mission is to erase that process so that we never get into that death spiral of becoming a commodity.”

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0fRaoy8KK

Old 02-13-10, 11:08 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus is more like Apple.

Secretive about upcoming models and redesigns. Has very modern design and high value and price. And is the first choice of many. Also a big innovator in the industry.
Old 02-13-10, 11:21 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple in the car world would be MB-BMW-Lexus combined.
Old 02-13-10, 11:21 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
... Chrysler should be like Apple ...

Ralph Gilles on the next generation Chrysler 300: “Hopefully, when you see that car, grown men and women will have tears running from their eyes." ...
That's hilarious. Is it April 1st already?
Old 02-13-10, 11:22 AM
LexFather

If you need a BBK, there is an app for that

Old 02-13-10, 11:22 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

First Chrysler has to develop something like windows 95 before they can aspire to be like apple.
Old 02-13-10, 12:58 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chrysler should first plan a escape from Volga/Lada/Trabant/Yugo level first.
Old 02-13-10, 01:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I see Chrysler is taking some pointers from Acura executives regarding useless press releases.

Enough boasting and gloating Chrysler. What a joke, show the products, and let the products speak for themselves. Don't make bold claims in the absence of product.
Old 02-13-10, 01:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lex

Secretive about upcoming models and redesigns. Has very modern design and high value and price. And is the first choice of many. Also a big innovator in the industry.
How can a company that doesn't offer full iPod integration be compared to Apple???? It's blasphemy!
Old 02-13-10, 02:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you need a BBK, there is an app for that
If thats the new 300C, I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.
Old 02-13-10, 02:33 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Apple and Chrysler have one big thing in common: I am a fan of neither company. Never have and probably never will own any of their products.

ha
Old 02-13-10, 03:31 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Ralph Gilles, Chrysler's chief design officer and the CEO of the Dodge brand

Gilles said his design studios are now filled with designers in their early 20s who “understand the market better than I could ever hope to.”
In other news, Chrylser executive realizes why his company is failing to create any manner of an interesting product.
Old 02-15-10, 12:57 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I wish them the best.
Old 02-15-10, 04:49 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I can see the market for their minivans, trucks, Viper, and, to some extent, Jeep. (Though most Jeeps can hardly be called rugged trail vehicles anymore.) But why would anyone seriously consider their passenger cars?
Old 02-15-10, 05:35 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lex

good call, Apple and Lexus = quality

Quick Reply: Chrysler should be like Apple, Gilles says