Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Speeding Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 04:00 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is b.s it should be dismissed if the prosecutor didn't show up (unless 22 over the limit is a big deal in NY, 30 over is a big deal in GA).

Small towns are COMPLETELY buddy buddy systems. If your lawyer has worked that town before/has connects you will be fine.
No chance of a dismissal, not in NY, they are too hard up for money, prosecutor/cop can change the date twice.
Old 03-10-10, 01:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Ya i am not getting this dismissed, but the lawyer i called is one of very few in town, and his office is literally 40 seconds away from the court, so my assumption he is connected with the town prosecutor and will help me out
Old 03-10-10, 03:16 PM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well. that sucks.
22 over is really nothing.. at least in CA. everyone is driving 80.

is 6 point really that bad? how much will your insurance increase? can't you just pay the fine and live with it? hiring a lawyer will most likely cost you more.

in CA, you get 1 point for speed lower than 101 mph, 2 points for speed over 101.
Old 03-10-10, 07:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by seanlee
well. that sucks.

is 6 point really that bad? how much will your insurance increase? can't you just pay the fine and live with it? hiring a lawyer will most likely cost you more.

in CA, you get 1 point for speed lower than 101 mph, 2 points for speed over 101.
6 points could get my license taken away and about 1700 on my insurance a year, and since i am 16, the chances are if i didn't get a lawyer i would get screwed pretty hard. It is in a small town where i do not know anyone and have no connections, and i am assuming New Yorl is much more strict about speeding.
Old 03-10-10, 09:06 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

well. that sucks.

22 over is nothing? Wow. I have to disagree there, Sean. It's quite a bit, especially when you consider 20 over is criminal speeding. Compound it with the fact that you will get a ticket for speeding, you get to go to criminal court if you get that written up.

Also, just to clarify - it's 1 point up to 100, and 2 at 101. This is only for the speed portion. If you get the additional write up options - such as exceeding road conditions, failure to pass correctly (left side only), following too closely, etc., you will compound your problems, especially with CHP.

Big Mack
Old 03-10-10, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
22 over is nothing? Wow. I have to disagree there, Sean. It's quite a bit, especially when you consider 20 over is criminal speeding. Compound it with the fact that you will get a ticket for speeding, you get to go to criminal court if you get that written up.

Big Mack
I fully agree. In many states (including mine), more than 20 MPH over the posted limit is considered reckless driving....a serious offense. That's something you don't just get a slap on the wrist for.

Of course, the judge (or the prosecutor) has the option of dropping or lowering the charges at their discretion, especially if it is a first-time offense (you might luck out on that), but the point is that 22 MPH over the limit is nothing to sneeze at....you can't just dismiss it off as a minor offense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-10 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 11:13 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
6 points could get my license taken away and about 1700 on my insurance a year, and since i am 16, the chances are if i didn't get a lawyer i would get screwed pretty hard. It is in a small town where i do not know anyone and have no connections, and i am assuming New Yorl is much more strict about speeding.
since when does knowing the right people means one can get away with things scotch free (or in this case with just a fine)? i guess sadly this is how things work sometimes. 22 over is quite careless, so i hope you did learn from this and don't keep expecting your connections to save you in the future. good luck.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
i agree. i can't believe someone actually said that

Last edited by raptor22; 03-10-10 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 11:42 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my illustrious driving record (I'm not proud of it, just stating an example), I have a ticket for 98mph in a 65mph zone (well-known highway patrol trap spot, almost all of my friends who drove there got tagged). It was just considered speeding for me, although I was REQUIRED to show up for court, as opposed to just paying the fine.

There also is the amazingly off-chance that the Highway Patrol officer who pulled me over ironically had the same last name as mine (and I'm Korean, with a relatively uncommon Korean last name).

The presiding judge wasn't actually a judge, it was a commissioner, and he did state prior to any proceedings that he was legally able to temporarily suspend anybody's license if they had exceeded 85mph on the freeways for "excessive speeding."

I luckily just got "speeding"
Old 03-11-10, 11:06 AM
seanlee
Driver

I apologize for saying 22 over is nothing. I was just saying the financial consequences for such violation in CA. apparently other parts of U.S. have a much more strict law to enforce speeding.

I'd like to shine some truth on that. (don't ask me how i know it, i just do)
CA traffic code states 22349A states: no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour. this is a one point infraction
CA 22348B states Exceeding 100 MPH. this is a two points infraction

in CA. no matter you drive fast (above 101) or slow (below 101), you get INFRACTION. you will NOT go to criminal court. you have to go to the traffic course for 22348B because they won't issue you the bail amount in the mail. but the price is normally 800~870 dollars for speeding above 101 mph (but can be as high as 1800 for some really unlucky ones). 440 for speeding 25 to 35. 360 for speeding from 15 to 25. and 240 for speeding below 15mph.

you license will NOT be suspended for 22349A, you license MAYBE suspended for 22348B for up to 15 days.

whoster, you must received your ticket a long time ago. CA now allow all 22349A violation to be pay by mail.
Old 03-11-10, 11:29 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoster, you must received your ticket a long time ago. CA now allow all 22349A violation to be pay by mail.
It was in 2008...

I'm not exactly sure why I had to go in either. But yes, it was a one point infraction.
Old 03-11-10, 01:05 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

seanlee,

How many points can you have in CA before they suspend your license? If anything under 100mph is a point, and anything over is 2, I'm assuming as low as 3 or 4 might get your ticket to fly yanked.

Here in PA, points work on more of a sliding scale. Anything less than 5 over is no points. The faster you go, the more points you accumulate. 20 over is 5 points IIRC. At 6 points, the state can chose to suspend your license, or require you to take what we call the "your too dumb to drive test" (and if you fail it, you probably are). Accumulate 11, and they yank your ticket.

I think NY works fairly similar.
Old 03-11-10, 01:12 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

CHI2BFLO,

If it were me (and I've had more than my share of infractions), I don't care what the lawyer said, I'd be at the courthouse for the hearing. Even if the lawyer tells you to stay in the waiting area, your there to face the judge yourself if need be.

Never, never, never, let your fate fall completely in someone else's hands if you can help it. You may be paying the lawyer to defend you, but you still need to be looking out for yourself to some extent. Showing up, 'dressed-and-pressed' with your hat in your hands still makes an impression with the judge.

Just something to think about...
Old 03-11-10, 05:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not depending on my connections to get me out of trouble, but if i have them i will use them, who wouldn't? and if you say you wouldn't, you are lying, and depending on the court date i will show, but they keep changing it, so we will see. Also i never said 22 over isn't careless, it is, but again, everyone has done it, it isn't anything "abnormal". At least that is my opinion on the matter
Old 04-06-10, 11:55 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Well heres the deal, i didn't go to my court case and had my lawyer go for me and in the end i got off with a single parking ticket of around $120 and no fines to pay
Old 04-06-10, 12:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
i am about 17
You don't know what age you are?

Jonny

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Advice