Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Ford Focus Badged as Mercury Tracer Due in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

While it is true that a car that IS produced may or may not sell, it is definitely true that a car that is NOT produced won't sell, period.

That's the funniest thing I've heard today.
Old 02-16-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure if the closings are just due to Mercury, or because of Lincoln as well, since both are usually sold out of the same dealerships. Though the Navigator is popular (mostly by image/stereotype) with entertainers, professional athletes, and musicians, Lincoln, in general, has lost a number of customers lately....and the dropping of the popular Town Car just made it worse. Mercury also compunded the problem by dropping (or greatly restricting) the Sable, Grand Marquis, and, yes.........the earler Tracer.

Nice update on the stereotype of Nav owners.

Don't agree about the crappy Sable, Grand Marquis and earlier Tracer, all are crap cars that contributed to the state of Mercury and to continue with them would just accelerate a death spiral.
Old 02-16-10, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's the funniest thing I've heard today.
Actually, I didn't intend for it to be funny.

We both know that buisness/market research, as to what will and won't sell, can be a complex buisness, and there are a lot of factors involved. But, in the end, no matter how you look at it you have to have cars available if customers want to buy them.

That's how GM got in trouble with the 2010 Camaro SS. To make only 5000 of them in the first year was ludicrous.....especially when there were lines a mile long at Chevy dealerships waiting to sign on the dotted line. Despite a number of CL requests for a full-review, I never did get an actual test-drive of an SS, or even an RS, and had to settle for (and write up) a static review without the test-drive.
Old 02-16-10, 10:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I didn't intend for it to be funny.

We both know that buisness/market research, as to what will and won't sell, can be a complex buisness, and there are a lot of factors involved. But, in the end, no matter how you look at it you have to have cars available if customers want to buy them.

That's how GM got in trouble with the 2010 Camaro SS. To make only 5000 of them in the first year was ludicrous.....especially when there were lines a mile long at Chevy dealerships waiting to sign on the dotted line. Despite a number of CL requests for a full-review, I never did get an actual test-drive of an SS, or even an RS, and had to settle for (and write up) a static review without the test-drive.
I see, but comparing the low production desirable and high-demand Camaro to a long list of crappy discontinued Mercury models is not relevant.
Old 02-16-10, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nice update on the stereotype of Nav owners.
Not really an update.....that's been the case for years. Of course, it's not a complete stereotype (the Navigator sells to others as well), but there is some truth to it. In fact, the first time I reviewed/test-drove a Navigator some years ago, the salesman who handed me the keys told me he had sold two of them just the previous day...one to a member of the Washington Redskins (I won't say who) and another to a member of the Washington Wizards basketball team.

Don't agree about the crappy Sable, Grand Marquis and earlier Tracer, all are crap cars that contributed to the state of Mercury and to continue with them would just accelerate a death spiral.
Three things. First, a new Sable would probably be considerably less "crappy" (as you use the term) than previous models...the new 2010 Ford Taurus, which it (would) be based on, gets high marks from the auto press and testers....I reviewed a new Taurus myself some months ago and was generally impressed with it. Second, earlier Tracers were not "crap" cars either, but reasonably well-built, and based on well-designed versions of Ford and Mazda compacts. Third, you may not care much for the Grand Marquis (it would not be on my shopping list either) but it was popular with two groups of buyers.....older people/senoir citizens, and those who still wanted a full-frame, RWD, V8 car..........the likes of which are almost impossible to find now still selling brand-new.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I see, but comparing the low production desirable and high-demand Camaro to a long list of crappy discontinued Mercury models is not relevant.

Well, not just the Camaro. I think a new Cougar, for Mercury, would have a fair amount of appeal to those who like ponycars but want a little more overall class and better interior materials than the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger class. The last Cougar, an awkwardly-styled coupe spinoff of the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique, was, IMO, a joke. This time, they need to do it right.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-10 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 11:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Three things. First, a new Sable would probaly be considerably less "crappy" (as you use the term) than previous models...the new 2010 Ford Taurus, which it (would) be based on, gets high marks from the auto press and testers....I reviewed a new Taurus myself some months ago and was generally impressed with it. Second, earlier Tracers were not "crap" cars either, but reasonably well-built, and based on well-designed versions of Ford and Mazda compacts. Third, you may not care much for the Grand Marquis (it would not be on my shopping list either) but it was popular with two groups of buyers.....older people/senoir citizens, and those who still wanted a full-frame, RWD, V8 car..........the likes of which are almost impossible to find now still selling brand-new.
Levels of crapiness is not the hallmark of profitable and successful automakers, so it's no surprise the cars were dropped. Just how bad these cars is always open to debate, lol.

The 2010 Taurus is another thread. Rebadges are rebadges.

Popular amongst geezers (expected to expire and/or buy cars so infrequently it doesn't matter) doesn't equate to profitable sales levels obviously.

As a Ford insider, I'm glad to see Mercury make crisper decisions that give some hope for survival.
Old 02-16-10, 11:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Well, not just the Camaro. I think a new Cougar, for Mercury, would have a fair amount of appeal to those who like ponycars but want a little more overall class and better interior matrials than the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger class. The last Cougar, an awkwardly-styled coupe spinoff of the Mondeo/Contour/Mystique, was, IMO, a joke. This time, they need to do it right.
I see your point, but thankfully Ford is not so backward-looking.
Old 02-16-10, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I see your point, but thankfully Ford is not so backward-looking.
Depends on what you mean by "backward-looking". Recent Mustangs, with retro-60's styling, instrumentation, big V8s, and even 60's-style live axles have been enormously popular in the marketplace. The difference was that Ford committed enough resources to their production......unlike GM with the new Camaros.
Old 02-16-10, 11:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on what you mean by "backward-looking". Recent Mustangs, with retro-60's styling, instrumentation, big V8s, and even 60's-style live axles have been enormously popular in the marketplace. The difference was that Ford committed enough resources to their production......unlike GM with the new Camaros.
Before somebody notices all the trivia....

I thought this was about Mercury and the new Tracer.
Old 02-16-10, 11:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Before somebody notices all the trivia....

I thought this was about Mercury and the new Tracer.
Yes, it was....so, OK, back to topic. We got off a little on other aspects of Mercury marketing.
Old 02-16-10, 12:14 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think ford should just get rid of mercury and put there efforts into lincoln.... (and get rid of the MK naming system )
Old 02-16-10, 01:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tracer?? really? Not Mystique? lol. Ford's gotta stop recycling names and just come up with a fresh one. I'm not sure if I were in a market for a small car, I'd buy a Mercury Tracer. "Oh you mean the rebadged Ford Tempo of the 80s?" is not exactly what I'd like to hear. Focus sounds better.
Old 02-16-10, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I think ford should just get rid of mercury and put there efforts into lincoln.... (and get rid of the MK naming system )
I like that suggestion, at least Lincoln has a bit more brand (positive) recognition. The Mxx alphabet soup naming system is worthless, not even the enthusiast can be bothered to figure out what is what and the average car buyer probably knows less.
Old 02-16-10, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I like that suggestion, at least Lincoln has a bit more brand (positive) recognition. The Mxx alphabet soup naming system is worthless, not even the enthusiast can be bothered to figure out what is what and the average car buyer probably knows less.
OK, then.....for those who can't afford the current entry-level MKZ, we'll do a Lincoln version of the Focus/Tracer.

Quick Reply: New Ford Focus Badged as Mercury Tracer Due in 2011