Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Ford Focus Badged as Mercury Tracer Due in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 03:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, then.....for those who can't afford the current entry-level MKZ, we'll do a Lincoln version of the Focus/Tracer.
There you go, they might even walk in the showroom for the first time!

btw-which model is the MKZ, because not sure they even know or care?
Old 02-16-10, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
There you go, they might even walk in the showroom for the first time!
Well, my late mother bought one of the early-model Tracer hatchbacks, back in 1988....I helped her find it, of course, test-drove it, and helped her through the deal (being an IRS-trained tax preparer and a former bookkeeper, she was, of course, better with some figures than I was).

btw-which model is the MKZ, because not sure they even know or care?
The MKZ, Lincoln's current entry-level model, was formerly called the Zephyr, and is an upmarket version of the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. Like its less-expensive brothers, it comes with either FWD or AWD.....a good selling point......but no hybrid like the Fusion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-10 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 04:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The MKZ, Lincoln's curfent entry-level model, was formerly called the Zephyr, and is an upmarket version of the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. Like its less-expensive brothers, it comes with either FWD or AWD.....a good selling point......but no hybrid like the Fusion.
The MKZ, formerly known as the Zephyr. Yes, the AWD option is a plus.

Jeezzzz, no wonder nobody knows or cares. I know one person that has one, he's retired. I suspect the few others I've seen were rental cars.
Old 02-16-10, 09:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jeezzzz, no wonder nobody knows or cares. I know one person that has one, he's retired. I suspect the few others I've seen were rental cars.
In my book, the MKZ is definitely not a typical rental-car interior.

And you can bet the monthly rent that the new Mercury Tracer is not going to have an interior like this....nor is it feasible, for the car's estimated price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 10:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

In my book, the MKZ is definitely not a typical rental-car interior.

And you can bet the monthly rent that the new Mercury Tracer is not going to have an interior like this....nor is it feasible, for the car's estimated price.
Agreed, that dashboard looks like it came out of one the better full size pickup trucks, miles of fake looking wood. A big part of the sales numbers are fleet/rental car sales, not that the sales are impressive at all.
Old 02-17-10, 03:52 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless Ford makes Mercury a full line of advanced hybrid vehicles, then Mercury is no use to them other than maybe limited volume niche cars. Ford's new products are entry level into Lincoln then customers can bypass Mercury.
Old 02-17-10, 04:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the MKZ. What I don't understand about it and the ES is that both have mainstream versions of these cars amongst other brands with hybrid powertrains, yet the luxury models don't have said option. Aren't luxury car buyers the ones with the money who would perhaps be more likely to opt for a more expensive hybrid? A $55k GSh is a bit much. But a $35-$40k ES hybrid is more reasonable for a lot of people.
Old 02-17-10, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, that dashboard looks like it came out of one the better full size pickup trucks, miles of fake looking wood. A big part of the sales numbers are fleet/rental car sales, not that the sales are impressive at all.
In my book (though not everyone necessarily agrees) luxury cars are SUPPOSED to have wood, be it either the real stuff or a reasonaby good-looking fake. And, yes, the real wood should look like wood, not be so dark and polished that it looks like a black mirror.

The MKZ, IMO, has a pretty nice-looking interior......that is why I posted it. the average rental car doesn't look like that inside.
Old 02-17-10, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Unless Ford makes Mercury a full line of advanced hybrid vehicles, then Mercury is no use to them other than maybe limited volume niche cars. Ford's new products are entry level into Lincoln then customers can bypass Mercury.
Not really. Mercury performs more or less the same function at Ford that Buick does at GM....or at least, DID so until the Sable and Grand Marquis were taken away. The fact that Buick has not been axed like Olds and Pontiac were, and will yet be around for a long time, should convince Ford of the need for saving Mercury. They've already made a start by bring back the entry-level Tracer.....now they need to finish the job by also bringing back the Sable, Grand Marquis (or an equivalant new flagship), and, of course, a REAL Cougar.....not the joke that was sold in the 90s.
Old 02-18-10, 09:31 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really. Mercury performs more or less the same function at Ford that Buick does at GM....or at least, DID so until the Sable and Grand Marquis were taken away. The fact that Buick has not been axed like Olds and Pontiac were, and will yet be around for a long time, should convince Ford of the need for saving Mercury. They've already made a start by bring back the entry-level Tracer.....now they need to finish the job by also bringing back the Sable, Grand Marquis (or an equivalant new flagship), and, of course, a REAL Cougar.....not the joke that was sold in the 90s.
By today's standard, Buick is seeming to chase Lexus with Caddi chasing BMW and Mercedes. Mercury on the other hand was supposed to be a "near luxury" make originally but over time it lost its identity years ago. Buick's remake is working out real well for them and at the moment, people are starting to look at them as a real luxury car maker. They have always been perceived as a near luxury make more than Mercury. That said, it will take a whole lot for Mercury to be perceived in that light because people don't associate Mercury with luxury. Buick can and will compete against Lincoln in the near future until Ford takes Lincoln to top tier. Mercury= full line of advanced hybrids and top of the line technology that can compete with Acura or its gonna take a miracle to make them really successful.
Old 02-18-10, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
By today's standard, Buick is seeming to chase Lexus with Caddi chasing BMW and Mercedes.
I'll agree that Caddy is trying to be a second BMW (and, of course, all but ignoring their traditional customers while doing so)........but, IMO, if Buick wants to chase Lexus, they will need a BIG, smooth, refined flagship like the LS460. Lately, Buick has been pushing smaller and more diversified products, and even the big Lucerne's days may be numbered. That is not a way to go after the LS460.

Mercury on the other hand was supposed to be a "near luxury" make originally but over time it lost its identity years ago. Buick's remake is working out real well for them and at the moment, people are starting to look at them as a real luxury car maker. They have always been perceived as a near luxury make more than Mercury. That said, it will take a whole lot for Mercury to be perceived in that light because people don't associate Mercury with luxury. Buick can and will compete against Lincoln in the near future until Ford takes Lincoln to top tier. Mercury= full line of advanced hybrids and top of the line technology that can compete with Acura or its gonna take a miracle to make them really successful.
While the two divisions more or less play the same role (an intermediate nameplate between entry-level and luxury), Mercurys, for the most part, have (mostly) been rebadged Ford products (with some upmarket and trim differences), while there has generally been a little more more differentiation between Buicks and Chevys. Mercury, though, in spite of its upmarket-Ford image, does have a loyal cadre of customers. That's why I don't think Ford is going to axe it. There is a slight buisness case for doing so, but, as I see it, not a strong one.
Old 02-18-10, 09:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that Mercury offers rebadges mostly.

The facts are that Mercury's sales numbers are both very low and declining. I'll decline on giving a subjective opinion on the business case for continuation of Mercury brand.
Old 02-18-10, 09:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, I think the Ford Focus is expected to be a decent competitive product, which increases the possibility of the new Tracer being competitive. So this could be a very good addition to Mercury lineup.
Old 02-18-10, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that Mercury offers rebadges mostly.
The last Cougar (in the 1990's), though still Contour/Mystique-derived, was one of the exceptions, but, unfortunately, still not a very impressive product.
They have the chance today, with a good Mustang platform, to do a much better Cougar, if they put their minds to it.

The facts are that Mercury's sales numbers are both very low and declining. I'll decline on giving a subjective opinion on the business case for continuation of Mercury brand.
You have already given a strong hint of your position by stating that the sales figures are way down...which, in general, are true. But once again, we get back to the old quandry of WHY they are down. It's true that it's poor buisness to keep vehicles in production that aren't selling, but at the same time, you cannot sell what you don't produce. You can't, for example, jerk the Sable and Grand Marquis away from their loyal customers (though Sable customers have never been in the same number as those of the Taurus) and then complain that they aren't selling. With an all-new (and superb) Taurus just entering the marketplace, it wouldn't take very much for Mercury to alter the trim/options slightly and do a new Sable.

As you like to say, back on topic, the Tracer might be a test of Mercury's viability at this point (and I generally support its re-introduction), but I don't think it will be the best one...that would be reserved for larger vehicles.
Old 02-18-10, 10:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

As you like to say, back on topic, the Tracer might be a test of Mercury's viability at this point (and I generally support its re-introduction), but I don't think it will be the best one...that would be reserved for larger vehicles.
I agree about the Tracer and needing larger vehicles in lineup, but I don't think the large tuna-boat/Towncar-sized vehicles of the past will be the volume products.

Quick Reply: New Ford Focus Badged as Mercury Tracer Due in 2011