Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick is Considering/Planning for a Flagship Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 09:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riviera concept is a show stopper! How it translates into (possible) production version is always the question. The sleek styling makes a relatively large coupe look small.
Old 02-17-10, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Riviera concept is a show stopper! How it translates into (possible) production version is always the question. The sleek styling makes a relatively large coupe look small.
At auto shows (and, yes, I've been to enough of them), space-ship aero looks and low rooflines like this may woo the crowd and bring on fantasies of Star Trek, but, in practical terms, they impede on space efficiency and make for difficult ingress/egress, poor outward vision, and, headroom for taller people. Of course, it can be argued (and I'm aware of it) that coupes and sports cars are not usually bought for space efficiency, but for sleek looks. Still, even taking this into account, IMO, there should be a point where form ceases to be a priority over function.
Old 02-17-10, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At auto shows (and, yes, I've been to enough of them), space-ship aero looks and low rooflines like this may woo the crowd and bring on fantasies of Star Trek, but, in practical terms, they impede on space efficiency and make for difficult ingress/egress, poor outward vision, and, headroom for taller people. Of course, it can be argued (and I'm aware of it) that coupes and sports cars are not usually bought for space efficiency, but for sleek looks. Still, even taking this into account, IMO, there should be a point where form ceases to be a priority over function.
Yes, that's pretty obvious to all of us. There's always the Scion XB and Honda Element for those obsessed with the space efficiency of a box and in need of an appliance.
Old 02-17-10, 09:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, I hope Buick follows-through with a coupe.
Old 02-17-10, 09:57 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

That Riviera concept looks amazing. Buick/GM should have done what Infiniti/Nissan did with the 350Z and G35. Have the Camaro and then have the Riviera as a nicer and more upscale platform. They look nothing alike so there would be no cannibalizing of sales. Two different cars on the same great platform.

But what do I know, I'm just another armchair CEO sitting my behind my computer. :P
Old 02-17-10, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
That Riviera concept looks amazing. Buick/GM should have done what Infiniti/Nissan did with the 350Z and G35. Have the Camaro and then have the Riviera as a nicer and more upscale platform. They look nothing alike so there would be no cannibalizing of sales. Two different cars on the same great platform.

But what do I know, I'm just another armchair CEO sitting my behind my computer. :P
Makes logical sense to me.

Old 02-17-10, 12:25 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

To comment a bit on whether or not Buick should reinvent itself as a younger, hipper, sportier brand than it's been in the past, I'd say that it's not entirely necessary. Although I have no doubts that they have lost a lot of money, I don't feel like they are now irrelevant in the auto industry.

Of course, they may not offer anything that many of us here in Car Chat would even consider, but I see enough Buicks on the road to know that they sell. Perhaps quality has been terrible, and I can attest to that with the 1984 Century ragtop that I had in high school, but they have what so many new companies strive so hard to get--a name, and a name we all know. Buick is a lot like that old company in your town that everybody knows about because it's been a fixture for so many years but is in decline because they didn't adapt to the changing times. But it's still there and everybody knows about it. And once in a while someone comes along and refreshes the already-well-known business and it takes off again. Hopefully this is what Buick is attempting (for their sake).

It's a shame that poor management has watered down the image of the company, but that's what happens when you don't pay attention to the market. Consumers vote with their dollars. If you want to win, you need to pay attention to what's selling.

But as mmarshall pointed out, Buick is HUGE in China. Doesn't surprise me. I went to China about 8 years ago. I met some very wealthy people while I was there and the wealthiest drove what I believe was a Buick, if not a very Buick-like American boat. Keep in mind that there's some sort of tax in China (I'm not real clear) that practically doubles the cost of foreign cars. So they must really like something to pay that much more for it.

Their recent offerings have looked better to me and that concept is quite a looker. Not quite to the point to get me into a dealership to check anything out, but then again they don't really design the vehicles that match what I look for. It wouldn't hurt to have a little sport offered somewhere in the lineup though, especially if they're going after Lexus which I take by extension also means MB.

And yes, those bench seats were amazingly comfortable.
Old 02-17-10, 11:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
Anyone else see SC430 in that concept, particularly in the front fascia and fenders?

Thought it was just me. It looks like a 2SC with a buick grille, drop and aftermarket wheels.