Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Detroit News: Ford struggles to remake Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big and ugly, better hope gas stays cheap while trying to sell that. I've seen it up close.
Old 02-17-10, 10:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I like the MK....errr, the MKS, the new sedan
^^^ I agree, better than acura. I'd get this over the new tl.

I see Boba Fett

Old 02-17-10, 11:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't like anything Lincoln/Mercury vehicles.
Some models look very cheap and ugly.
Old 02-17-10, 12:26 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, i think Lincoln is a sleeping giant that is very well in a coma-like state and needs a big awakening. I like Lincoln and if they were to get the right phlosophy and marketing behind them, they can be as good as there home town rival and some foreign ones as well. Ford really dont need Mercury and i think they will do good with there recent turnaround without the added waste production. That said, drop Mercury and redouble there efforts into Lincoln and make them a top tier brand. When Ford had Jaguar they tried to remake Lincoln into there image. Now they've sold Jag and now its Volvo's image Lincoln is after. Lincoln needs identity, more dna, and marketing. In 10years would love to see a resurrected Continential(MKC/MKL?) go head to head with an new LS560 or Jag XJ. Lincoln has plenty of history to build upon and maybe thats whats killing them, but they have to use that history if they want a future.
Old 02-17-10, 03:14 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I really do like the idea of the MKT, it's just the front and rear ends are terribly done. It looks like the designers had a list and check all of the "Super Size Me" options.

I had a chance to sit in it at an auto show and thought the interior was quite nice.

Didn't Lincoln just let the Towncar get old and kill it?
Old 02-17-10, 03:17 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80

this is what's wrong with lincoln..
hahaha

what a political suicidal car
Old 02-17-10, 03:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van

You can still buy a 2010 Towncar, built in Canada.
Old 02-17-10, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
I really do like the idea of the MKT, it's just the front and rear ends are terribly done. It looks like the designers had a list and check all of the "Super Size Me" options.

I had a chance to sit in it at an auto show and thought the interior was quite nice.
Yes. The MKT's interior is far better than the outside.

Yes, and that's one of Lincoln's big problems right now...........because of that, they don't have a REAL flagship (and, soon, Cadillac may not either). The MKS is markedly smaller, and firmer-riding, than the Town Car, but, to its credit, does offer the AWD option that the Town Car needed, but never got.
Old 02-17-10, 04:40 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My thoughts on Lincoln models:

- I currently lease an 07 MKZ. It has about 39K miles and has been totally reliable. For the size car, it has a huge trunk. The 3.5 engine is spunky, but rough sounding. The FWD biased AWD system works well in snow, but not so well on mixed slippery / dry pavement. On the down side, the car is too low for us, the front seat area is tight, the leather quality is poor, and there are far too many visual reminders that this car is also a Fusion and Milan. The upgraded MKZ is better, but still too small for us.

- I like the MKS and have test driven both 3.7L and 3.5L ecoboost models. The ecoboost pulls nicely, but this is the first year for that engine and reliability is unknown. Also, the first year reliability of the 09 MKS has been spotty. The interior is an improvement over the MKZ, but there are still some cheap looking items. The trunk is large, but hard to access due to the narrow opening.

- I like the funky looking Ford Flex (aside from the lack of power in the base engine), but the MKT is just, dayam, hit with an ugly stick. The "T" must stand for turd.
Old 02-17-10, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
- I currently lease an 07 MKZ. It has about 39K miles and has been totally reliable.
Among American-badged vehicles, it's had to beat the Fusion/Milan/MKZ trio for quality/reliability. They have taken over the spot, among mid-sized cars, where the Toyota Camry was for many years, although the Honda Accord is still way up there, too.

On the down side, the car is too low for us, the front seat area is tight, the leather quality is poor, and there are far too many visual reminders that this car is also a Fusion and Milan. The upgraded MKZ is better, but still too small for us.
Unimpressive leather (and fake leather/Leatherette) seem to be the mark of the auto industry today, unless you spend REAL bucks on REAL top-level cars like the Mercedes AMG, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS, Audi S-models, etc..... Just one of the many signs of today's cost-cutting among manufacturers. Even with Jaguar, once one of the world's automotive standards for smooth leather, you can now, unlike in the past, notice the diffrence in the leather texture between the XF and the more expensive XJ model. Same with an number of other automakers.

- I like the funky looking Ford Flex (aside from the lack of power in the base engine), but the MKT is just, dayam, hit with an ugly stick. The "T" must stand for turd.
Granted, the MKT's styling could be improved on the outside, but the interior (where you actually spend most of your time) is far from ugly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-10 at 08:19 PM.